Quantcast HP DM1z - Page 373

+ Reply to Thread
Page 373 of 408 FirstFirst ... 273323363369370371372373374375376377383 ... LastLast
Results 3,721 to 3,730 of 4074

Thread: HP DM1z

Notebook Consultant

People actually use quickweb? I tried it when I got the laptop and found it to be a joke. Got rid of it immediately.

Notebook Enthusiast

Default Re: HP DM1z

Quote Originally Posted by Deihmos View Post
    People actually use quickweb? I tried it when I got the laptop and found it to be a joke. Got rid of it immediately.
    Depend how you use your notebook, if you just use notebook just for simple check emails and simple browsing using hp quickweb can saving a lot time which wasting by booting time

Hi All,

I am going to buy a HP Pavilion DM1 Series DM1-4003AU tomorrow. I found in net that HP has issues in its LCD.. is this true? Does anyone face any issue regarding the Screen? Kindly suggest me!! Thanks

Notebook Consultant

I do get artifact horizontal lines from time to time, and I can't quite tie it to anything in particular, but they never last more than 5 minutes at a time and only occur once a month or so.
    Desktop: Core i5-2500k@4.2GHz | MSI Geforce 560 ti | 8GB G.Skill 1333 | 120GB Crucial M4 SSD boot drive | 2TB WD Caviar Green | 64GB Samsung 830 cache drive | Win8Pro x64
    Laptop: HP Pavilion G4-2235dx | A10-4600m / 7660G | 8GB G.Skill 1600 CL9| | Win8 Basic
    Wife's Laptop: Dell XPS 15z (L511z) | Core i5-2410M | nVidia Geforce GT 525M | 8GB G.Skill 1600 | 128GB Samsung 830 SSD | Win7Pro x64 Sold!
    Wife's Desktop: 2012 iMac Ivy Bridge i5 21.5", default config.

Hi folks, this is my first post on this forum, and having had my DM1z for about 3 months now it's great to see such a massive thread about it with a ton of cool information. I just wanted to publish my stream of thoughts here in case it might help someone thinking about getting one.

I have the LY133AV/DM1z-4000 E-450 version that is the new industrial design. I got it in November with 4GB and put an additional 4GB in that I got from eBay for $29. Then I took out the 250GB hard drive and put in a $299 256GB SATA-III Adata SSD with my own copy of Win7Pro. The chipset has a SATA-III interface but all the hard drives HP was offering as options were SATA-II drives. Talk about a missed opportunity!!! (Anyone who thinks this SSD is expensive, well, the first SSD I bought, a Crucial 256GB C300, was $650, so to me this is cheap.)

I was delighted to see that the two external power supplies I owned for my previous laptop, a 6-year-old Dell Inspiron 700m, both work on this new laptop without modification! I found out by accident actually, since the connectors are identical. I just shoved one of the Dell plugs into the HP without realising it was the wrong one... but no damage done and it charges just fine. So now I have three power supplies.

Finally I bought a Sony BSX-S600U USB-based external blu-ray burner so that I could play movies, burn 100GB blu-ray discs and have an all-around sweet optical disc unit. This unit from Sony is really, REALLY sweet, a beautiful piece of engineering. Its USB cables neatly tuck inside the unit when you're not using it (i.e. if you want to pack it into a bag) and it doesn't take up a lot of room in my travel bag at all.

So yes, I had spent way more than the original cost of the laptop by the time I was finished adding bits on. The cost of the laptop by the way was $375 plus $25 for the processor upgrade to E-450. I don't think the Intel i3 was selectable at the time I was placing the order. This was my second DM1z, the first had the E-350 processor and I was sick of the underpowered nature of it. The E-450 seems a lot better, though it's nothing like my desktop i7-2600K system. Obviously it has taken a lot of flak in earlier posts in this thread.

The laptop plays "Avatar" and other blu-ray movies just fine. In my tests, it plays the entire "Avatar" movie (the 3D disc in 2D mode), powering the BDX-600U all by itself, and still had about 30 minutes of battery life left afterwards - this was acceptable to me.

However, it doesn't play the hi-def streamed shows on Netflix, which is crap! I already installed Silverlight 5.0 RTM but that has made no difference. Obviously it requires a software change to use the hardware (since an all-software decoding solution is baloney), so I look forward to that change by Netflix. No need to get rid of the laptop just because of that.

So with all that in mind, here are my likes and dislikes about the laptop.

LIKES (no particular order)
    *** It's reasonably compact, thin and light. It's no Macbook Air, but honestly I don't like those that much.
    *** The battery life is pretty decent, if you don't roger it with heavy CPU-processing jobs (at which point, any laptop battery sucks).
    *** The LCD display is sharp & reasonably bright, and the colours are great. It’s the glossy type, which, sure, it’s going to pick up reflections, but the resolution is sharper. All laptop designers have this decision to make – matte or glossy displays… both have well-documented advantages and disadvantages. (and see below for caveat)
    *** The LCD resolution of 1366x768 is perfect. Wouldn't want it any higher. I see sites like Engadget and so on moaning about 1366x768, saying it's too blocky. Seriously? On a 11.1" display you can't really make out smaller pixels.
    *** No-one sound expect to hear great sound coming out of a device as small as this – you can’t change the laws of physics. However, I was pleasantly surprised by the clarity, stereo imagery and bass response (such as it is) from this laptop. Way better than the Macbook Air, which is pretty awful. A good rule of thumb is, if you can see the speaker grilles, you are in with a chance of decent sound, and the speakers on this laptop are on the front edge pointing right at ya.
    *** The switch to the SSD helped achieve near-silent operation. During times when the fan isn’t blowing, this laptop is pretty pleasant sounding! (see caveat)
    *** Keyboard keys are great, except for the cursor up+down keys which are half-size and pretty hard to master.
    *** Since I had sent back my first DM1z with the E-350 processor, which was the original industrial design, I was able to compare it with the new industrial design, and I was pleased to see they’d put in proper mouse buttons for the touchpad. (see caveat)
    *** The display hinge is nice and firm, the display doesn’t wobble back and forth under daily use like some laptop models. Also, the laptop display hinge folds all the way to 180 degrees, so that the laptop is perfectly flat! (In fact I’d say it goes to about 181) This is a surprisingly hard-to-find feature and increases the flexibility of the laptop in a number of situations. Laptops that won’t fold past about 134 degrees are sometimes a pain in the to balance or prop up on things. Kudos to HP’s designers for realizing this can be important.
    *** The power supply plug and socket seem strong enough that they’ll never break.
    *** Generally speaking I like the industrial design, it’s original enough and has a nice, cool/futuristic shape without looking gaudy or like it’s shouting “look at me!” (see caveat) It seems strongly built and doesn’t creak or flex at all.
    *** Power supply unit is pretty compact. Nice!
    *** The bottom lid is very easy to remove and get to the guts of the machine. Nice job HP.
    *** This laptop is a BARGAIN!!! $375 is an awesome price. My previous laptop cost me $1600!!!

DISLIKES (in no particular order)
    *** Prior to ordering the DM1z, I drove around my home town of Austin Texas and visited about eight different stores, hoping to find the DM1z so I could try out the keyboard and display. NONE of them had it in stock! In fact I was unable to see a DM1z in the flesh whatsoever, and my only option was to shell out cash to buy one, wait like 3 weeks until it arrives, and then send it back if I didn’t like it. I wish there was a physical store that stocks it.
    *** The LCD display’s viewing angle is TINY. GOD-AWFULLY SMALL. It’s so small that you’re getting a different type of experience with the pixels at the top of the panel, versus the pixels at the bottom – simply because no-one in their right mind would view this laptop panel from 10 feet away, which is what you’ve got to do to get a uniform image off it. Typically you’re about 18 inches away since it’s on your lap. The best angle you can get it to is a compromise between the problems at the top and bottom of the display. This is totally unacceptable - HP needs to be spanked for picking this terrible LCD part, and forced to sign a statement declaring they’ll never feature a panel in future products with such a small viewing angle AGAIN. Roll on OLED displays!!!
    *** What makes the above point worse, is that the side-to-side viewing performance is much better. The left and right 60-degrees or so are dimmer than the middle zone, but not by much. You can read most of what is on the screen probably up to 170 degrees. This makes it great for the person sitting next to you on the plane to see what you’re doing – that is, as long as you have the display at the right vertical angle for you both to be able to read it
    *** When HP revised the industrial design, they moved the hard drive activity light from just above the keyboard (where you can see it) to the left-hand edge of the laptop – where you can’t see it, though other people can see the little LED flashing conspicuously. Who at HP thought that was a good idea? The whole point of a hard drive activity light is to be able to monitor the relationship between on-screen action (which usually indicates what your software is doing) with hard drive activity. Having to tilt your head to the side to see the left edge of your laptop usually degrades your ability to use your software.
    *** HP’s new industrial design, the case uses a shiny black plastic material which resembles a plastic toy. This is a downwards step from the original industrial design, which had a mottled/”bumped texture” plastic surface, which was less prone to fingerprints and frankly looked more mature and business-like. My fingers aren't that greasy! But this new surface is constantly covered in smudges, unless you work to clean it every so often. Wasn’t needed with the earlier design!
    *** The laptop has four rubber feet underneath, which is great for desktops & worktops. The rest of the underside is that same black, shiny “plastic toy” look as the top. When I am sitting and have the laptop in my lap (a reasonable enough place to put it, don’t you think?), I tend to sit with one leg lifted up over the knee of the other leg, not quite legs-crossed. More often than not, the laptop with its smooth curved rear face “slips” forward on its shiny plastic. The rubber feet don’t glue it to my jeans, by any means. It's partly because the laptop is so small... a larger machine wouldn't do this. I’m minded to think the entire bottom needs to be a rubber patch, or perhaps a rubber patch could be installed on the bottom face of the battery pack. This would help it from sliding. The sliding forward problem would not be such an issue except that with this laptop, one painstakingly works to get the LCD panel at the right compromise angle so that one can use both hands to type and get some work done. When it unexpectedly slips, you end up not being able to see the display again
    *** The entire laptop is now black, and there is no backlighting of any sort (since the DM1z is INEXPENSIVE). Designers can still use decals or paintwork to help people find stuff in the dark, but HP's designers chose black touchpad buttons and a black touchpad on a black laptop. Hard to find the buttons in the dark, or, you end up pressing the wrong button of the two. I am probably going to paint the buttons on mine with white paint. I will also probably also mark F4 and F11 in some way, since those are the two function keys I use the most and they’re terribly hard to find in the dark. I end up tilting the LCD panel down so I can light up the keyboard! And when you have the problem of terrible viewing angle, tilting the laptop panel sends you on another journey to reset it back to a good compromise angle.
    *** I like the silent touch-to-click feature of the touchpad, and have it configured in that mode. Unfortunately, the touchpad sometimes picks up random touches while I am typing with both hands, and interprets this as a touch-to-click event. This sends the typing cursor way off where I was typing, and I end up typing in another part of my document. Seriously, this is a really bad issue when you’re in the workplace… makes your laptop (and your ability to work it) look like a load of crap. I guess I will have to turn off the touch-to-click feature to avoid this hassle.
    *** The Advanced BIOS screen disappeared on this new industrial design! Or, I can’t seem to find it. I used it on the original laptop, but when the second DM1z arrived, it does not seem to respond to pressing “A” in the same way as the original. If anyone knows how to get to the Advanced BIOS screen it would be great to find out.
    *** The fan… blows. Ha ha – get it? Seriously, it is louder than it needs to be, and it’s a pity. The sound is definitely that of whooshing air, not the fan motor – which is a good thing, but it’s sad that the airflow must be so restricted in this design that it makes such a whooshing sound. Also, the E-450 processor seems to need the fan to blow for even the most trivial work tasks… makes you think it’s not up to the job. Playing Team Fortress 2, it blows the whole time.
    *** The new industrial design does not have a broadband option… under the case, you can see it is descended from the original industrial design inside, but the space where the broadband modem went is now occupied by a CMOS backup battery.
    *** Oh yeah, this laptop only has USB 2.0, which is sad. Its operational lifetime is therefore somewhat limited. I knew this going in, but decided that the cost savings overall were enough to still consider this unit. I doubt I will keep it as long as my Dell Inspiron 700m though. (6yrs)
    *** Finally, I live in Texas and develop videogames professionally, for which this laptop was purchased. Since 1990 or so, Texas does not charge sales tax for purchasing certain types of equipment (e.g. laptops) made for this business – here’s a link to the info if you’re not in Texas and want to get jealous!
    Texas Film Commission, Office of the Governor Rick Perry - Sales Tax Exemptions
    It's sometimes difficult to order things over the web without sales tax, especially since this law is little-known outside Texas; a common solution is to place the order with the tax, and get the vendor to refund the sales tax a day or two later once you’ve had time to converse with them (and since you have purchased something from them, they usually don’t want to end up refunding). HP’s customer support chat people all reinforced this method of sales tax exemption and told me to email the details later to HHOTaxExempt@hp.com. So I did this, and to my dismay there has been NO RESPONSE from HP, who are basically ignoring me. When I told their customer support people about it (via chat) they told me to wait a couple of weeks and I would see a response. Well, it’s been a couple of months and HP has not refunded my sales tax money.

Notebook Geek

Good lord that's a long post. I ended up selling my DM1z for one of the very problems you posted, Netflix playback simply sucked! I got the DM4 Beats Edition and while it's not as small as the DM1z it's still lightweight, very portable, and looks and performs a helluva lot better than the DM1z. The DM1z size was perfect, and it looked nice overall and performed OK for basic tasks, but the streaming video performance was severly lacking and I had issues playing lower end games like Limbo smoothly even with it's Radeon 6340 or whatever card in it. I'm so glad I sold it (for the price I paid) and bought the DM4 Beats, and I bought it for $750 with a coupon when they were first released so it was really only like $250 more than the DM1z I had configured and performs way better, plus it has an aluminum top, soft touch inside, and red backlit keyboard which are all big pluses. I can also now play tons of games like Dead Space 2 even perfectly smooth even though I got the Intel 3000 HD graphics model, pretty amazing.

Ho Freaking Ho

Try getting some reflective paint for the keys you want to show up, the light from the screen should glimmer off it effectively.

I wouldn't worry too much about USB 2.0, it's been around a while and unless you do LOTS of sequential transfers, it shouldn't matter much.

Regarding SSD, I don't know that a laptop of this performance level would really benefit much from SATA III to be honest. I have a SATA II SSD in my EEE 1215b which is essentially same as the DM1z, except mine has E-350. Performance of the SSD is less than if I run it in my desktop. But in any case, that is a nice SSD. I won't run any laptop or netbook without an SSD any more.

I'm waiting to see what AMD Trinity has to offer for a 12-13" notebook because the IGP should have great performance. Basically you'll get Llano level IGP in an 18W TDP chip! The HP build is a lot nicer than my Asus Eee though, but I got my Eee for < $300 so thought it was a good buy.

LATEST REVIEWS: Clevo P650SE 970m | MSI GS60 970m | Sager NP9377 980m SLI | MSI GT72 GTX 980m
    REVIEWS: Sager: NP7338 W230SS 860m | NP9377 P375SM 880m SLI | NP8268 P150SM-A 880m | other Sager/Clevo // Other: Blade 14 870m | Aorus X7 | Other Reviews
    Clevo P650SE: 15.6" 1080p IPS Matte . i7-4710HQ . GTX 970m 3GB . 16GB 2133 . 256GB Samsung XP941 . 960GB M500 . Killer N1525
    Samsung ATIV 9: 13.3" 3k IPS . i5-4200U . 8GB . 128GB XP941

Notebook Deity

'nut - when is Trinity supposed to be marketable?? would like to see...

I'm ditto on ssd. its the only way i'll go now on net/notebooks. no spinning, little fan. my x120e is just dead silent and barely warm

Quote Originally Posted by HTWingNut View Post
    Try getting some reflective paint for the keys you want to show up, the light from the screen should glimmer off it effectively.

I wouldn't worry too much about USB 2.0, it's been around a while and unless you do LOTS of sequential transfers, it shouldn't matter much.

Regarding SSD, I don't know that a laptop of this performance level would really benefit much from SATA III to be honest. I have a SATA II SSD in my EEE 1215b which is essentially same as the DM1z, except mine has E-350. Performance of the SSD is less than if I run it in my desktop. But in any case, that is a nice SSD. I won't run any laptop or netbook without an SSD any more.

I'm waiting to see what AMD Trinity has to offer for a 12-13" notebook because the IGP should have great performance. Basically you'll get Llano level IGP in an 18W TDP chip! The HP build is a lot nicer than my Asus Eee though, but I got my Eee for < $300 so thought it was a good buy.

For all the people who are having problems with the touchpad causing sudden jumping of the cursor to a different part of the screen, touchfreeze has solved the problem for me. Here's the link to the download page

Notebook Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ballsagna View Post
    Is anyone else's screen on the e450 version REALLY floppy? I have noticed that mine is quite loose at the hinges -- it opens and closes fine, but there is about an inch of play in the hinge while it is open. It does not open and stay firmly.

My guess is there's something wrong with the hinges, as I've only ever owned HP laptops and none of them did this. Wish I could fix it.
    After 4 months of usage, I am having the same problem.

Edit: Called HP. They are letting me take out the HD. They are sending a Fed Ex box to ship the laptop and get the hinges repaired.
    Last edited by escapedturkey; 27th January 2012 at 04:35 PM.