Quantcast dv2000/dv6000/dv9000 recall

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast
    Notebook Consultant

Default dv2000/dv6000/dv9000 recall

I have an out of warranty dv9000 and haven't had wireless for months. I just discovered HP issued a recall for the wireless and other problems with several different Pavilion and Presario models. For the wireless problem with the dv9000 they are replacing the motherboard on all notebooks in or out of warranty. I was wondering if anyone has had the repair done under the recall and how it turned out? I'm also wondering if HP is still cosmetically trashing notebooks when they are sent in for repair?
    Here is the link for the recall:
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...842189&lang=en

Moderately Boss

Default Re: dv2000/dv6000/dv9000 recall

Call up HP and ask. They might even replace the laptop
    . #flickr
    [Desktop] Silverstone LC20B | Q8200 2.8ghz | GTX680OCE | 8GB RAM | 128GB M4 SSD | 12TB HDD | Intel 6300N | Dell U3014
    [Notebook] HP DV2500 Verve SE | T7500 | 8400GS | 4GB DDR2 RAM | WD 250GB HDD | Intel 4965AGN |
    [Worktop] NZXT Apollo | i7-3770 | GTX 460SE | 12GB DDR3 | 120GB Intel 330 SSD | M-Audio Delta 66 | Dell U2913

Notebook Enthusiast

Just to clarify, this is not a "recall". It's an extension of the standard 1 year warranty. I had my DV2000 sent in for repair. My experience with the repair has been truly terrible. HP redefined what I thought a low standard of customer service could be.

In short, HP received it Feb 14th and I still do not have a laptop. It took MANY calls, many emails, and many broken promises by HP before they agreed to send me a new laptop. Estimated time of arrival - 10 days from now. They'll drag they're feet every step of the way and resist doing anything to resolve your problem. They'll promise delivery dates of your repaired laptop, but each time that date comes they'll call and say "another two weeks".

Send it in. It's still under warranty as long as you haven't purchased it over two years ago. However, make preparations for being without a laptop for a long, long time and don't hesitate to escalate your case to a Case Manager. Just never expect the Case Manager to call you as promised. You'll have to call repeatedly to get a hold of them. Good luck.

Notebook Consultant

My notebook is over 2 years old and when I spoke with HP they told me there was a recall and they would fix my dv9000 free of charge. When I posted this I had already received an email confirming my repair order and box. I'm very familiar with HP's dreadful customer service, horrible repair practices and the infuriorating case manager games.
    This dv9000 was a replacement for my dv8000 which was in for repair 3 times, never fixed and completely trashed by HP. I'm wondering if they are even capable of fixing this wireless problem? The bios update they issued for the problem is useless. I'm trying to see if anyone had a successful outcome having the repair done or is this the same old HP game of mail it in, even though we can't or won't fix it, for endless, useless, damaging non-repairs.
    Judging from what you say, clarrkkent, it sounds like nothing has changed for the better over at HP since my dealings with them 2 years ago.
    Last edited by ubatz; 27th March 2008 at 10:02 PM.

Notebook Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by ubatz View Post
    My notebook is over 2 years old and when I spoke with HP they told me there was a recall and they would fix my dv9000 free of charge. When I posted this I had already received an email confirming my repair order and box. I'm very familiar with HP's dreadful customer service, horrible repair practices and the infuriorating case manager games.
    This dv9000 was a replacement for my dv8000 which was in for repair 3 times, never fixed and completely trashed by HP. I'm wondering if they are even capable of fixing this wireless problem? The bios update they issued for the problem is useless. I'm trying to see if anyone had a successful outcome having the repair done or is this the same old HP game of mail it in, even though we can't or won't fix it, for endless, useless, damaging non-repairs.
    Judging from what you say, clarrkkent, it sounds like nothing has changed for the better over at HP since my dealings with them 2 years ago.
    From what I've read on HP's forums and from what the tech told me over the phone, the problem isn't necessarily with the wireless itself, but a heat sinking problem caused by some kind of defect in the motherboard. The over heating degrades the surrounding components over time. Loss of wireless is typically the first symptom of a soon to be dead HP.

My wireless went out intermittently for the 7 months I had the laptop, then it crapped out entirely for 2-3 days before my motherboard fried.

From all my reading and my own personal experience, there have been no successful repairs of this issue. The board will have to be replaced, but unfortunately you're right. HP plays the endless wait game always claiming "another two weeks and we'll have the parts". It appears they don't have the parts to actually fix all the defective HP's. Eventually they'll replace. It just took 40 something days for me before they would.

Notebook Consultant

OK, Clarrkkent, thanks, this is the kind of info I was looking for. Like my dv8000 this notebook is toast and HP can't fix it. Now I have to be prepared to play the send the notebook in 3 times and then file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau to get a new replacement game. What did you get for a replacement?

Notebook Evangelist

ubatz...I'll be able to answer your question about the cosmetically trashing the notebooks in repair when my one month old DV9700T comes back next Friday. But speaking from prior experience about 3 years ago, I had a notebook sent in for repairs 3 times in a month. The first 2 times it came back looking fine. The last time it looked like the lid had been keyed. I called HP and they sent me a brand new replacement in 48 hours after all the trouble I'd had.
    Vostro 1700 | Core 2 Duo Penryn T8100 2.10Ghz 3MB L2 Cache | 3GB RAM | 17.0" WUXGA LCD Display with TrueLife (1920 x 1200) | NVIDIA GeForce 256MB 8600M GT

Notebook Consultant

Thanks for the heads up rtrdogs. Two years ago HP put 14 scratches in my brand new dv8000 screen the first time I sent it in for repair, truly shocking. I just wanted to know if they were still up to their old tricks. Please let me know what condition your computer comes back in.

Notebook Enthusiast

oh my!!! I'm having the same problem with HP support..I used the chat interface for evidence...

my advice don't send it just yet, until you get hold of someone with a repaired unit. Either they don't have the parts or they are delaying forever till you forget. Can a class action suit be done on this?

summary: I reported the problem last year, way before the "recall" and got the GO signal to send it back then. I hesitated and bore being without wireless, since I need the laptop pretty badly. I finally sent it in Feb 2, way before you did Clark. Until now the update is they are missing parts.

The first promised delivery date has passed. I demanded that they return it even if it's not fixed. the tech told me he's sure I'll get it today APR 2.

Online repair info tells me it hasn't shipped. I'm sure it is updated often and I'm pretty sure it will not arrive today. I can't explain my frustration, I'm stuck on a very slow computer right now, and every minute it chokes, it reminds me my broken computer. I'm screaming inside!!

I'm preparing to escalate this after the end of this day. I need help how to do it.

Here is my chat info yesterday.
    Dorothy: Hello -----.
    Dorothy: Welcome to HP Total Care for Pavilion Notebooks. My name is Dorothy. How may I assist you today?
    Me: hi id like to get a status on my notebook repair
    Dorothy: Sure, I will help you with this regard.
    Me: Order number:
    Entry date / time:
    02/04/2008 4:48pm PT
    Model number:
    RP410UA , HP PAVILION NOTEBOOK PC DV2213CL
    Serial number:
    Dorothy: I understand that you want the status of the notebook at the repair. AM I correct?
    Me: yes
    Me: am i getting it tomorrow?
    Dorothy: Could I have a few minutes of your time while I look at the computer's configuration in my database?
    Me: ok
    Dorothy: Thank you for your time and patience.
    Dorothy: I apologize for the delay.
    Dorothy: I see that the deliver date of the notebook is 04/02/2008.
    Me: yes
    Dorothy: Yes, you will be getting the notebook on tomorrow.
    Me: it should be sent by now right?
    Dorothy: Unfortunately, we donot have the exact information regarding the shipping however the notebook will at you by 04/02/2008.
    Me: so tomorrow
    Dorothy: Yes..
    Me: you are sure that i will get it?
    Dorothy: Yes, I am..
    Me: cause i'm going to cancel my flight to SF because of this
    Me: i need my computer badly
    Dorothy: Sure, I will do my best to send the notebook as soon as possible at your mailing address.
    Dorothy: I can understand your concern.
    Me: i'll hold your word and HP on that. thanks
    Dorothy: Sure..
    Dorothy: Is there anything else I can assist you with today?
    Last edited by vinceman; 2nd April 2008 at 12:14 PM.

Notebook Evangelist

ubatz - Just got my laptop back from repairs a couple of days early. Cosmetically it's perfectly fine.

I kept the easy peel plastic on the lid, had an extra one and covered all around inside the keyboard (but not the keyboard itself). Got a page that says the LCD cable was fixed.

The rubber circles at the bottom of the LCD panel are pushed in at an odd angle but I'm afraid if I try to move them back, they're going to pop backward and disappear altogether behind the LCD.

I did order my Vostro last night and changed my sig file a few minutes ago to remove the DV9700T from it.

I haven't turned it on yet. Mixed emotions. Ah well.
    Vostro 1700 | Core 2 Duo Penryn T8100 2.10Ghz 3MB L2 Cache | 3GB RAM | 17.0" WUXGA LCD Display with TrueLife (1920 x 1200) | NVIDIA GeForce 256MB 8600M GT

Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast