Quantcast How To: Fix dv2000 Lid Switch(Backlight) issue.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Notebook Consultant

Default How To: Fix dv2000 Lid Switch(Backlight) issue.

How To: Fix dv2000 Lid Switch(Backlight) issue.

History;
    First off, a little background on this fix. Since the dv2000s came out we've been getting these almost non-stop. For a while we were replacing the lid switch completely, which was a very long process and was always destine to fail again, sometimes within less then a month. So we decided its easier to just remove the lid switch from the equation which we were reluctant to do at first because of a negative side affect of losing the 'Standby' lid shut option. But ultimately there is nothing you can do to about it, the problem will always be there. So it'll save you lots of time and effort if you just disable it.

Why does it happen?;
    In the past most notebooks have had pretty robust lid switch which could only really cause a problem if broken off... With the dv2000 hp decided it needed a very small lid switch for such a small model... The problem with this is there is little no no clearance on either side of the leaver switch, so after time goes on hair and dust can easily get caught inside the notebook and make its way up to the switch until it completely stops the switch from decompressing.

Is this Really your Issue?

Though in some cases this is considered a Preventative fix, its still better to see if this is actually your issue before you go opening it up... Here are a couple ways to tell;

* Hold the screw up to the light and see if you can see anything.... You maybe able to see some very faint black flashing.
    * Use and external monitor and hook it up to the VGA port on the side.

What you need to make this fix;
    a) Phillips screw driver. (recommend you use one with a sharp point.
    b) Post its. (not needed but recommended)
    c) Pen. (if you got the Post Its...)
    d) A soft durable piece of plastic. (i.e. a Listerine Pocketpak case)

Getting started:
    Write these 4 groups on your Post Its;
    BC Screws
    KB Screws
    PP Screws
    TC Screws

[BC = Bottom Case] [KB = Keyboard] [PP = Power Panel][TC = Top Case]

This is so you keep track of what screws go where, putting the wrong screw in the wrong place can prove to be disastrous... you make what we cal 'screw nipples'. These can; look very bad, decrease the value of the notebook, and in some cases penetrate the case...

** NOTICE: If you do not feel confident about doing this fix yourself, thats ok, being worried about opening a notebook is perfectly normal. You can always find someone who is capable of doing it or if your notebook is still under warranty,(which it should be) you can always send it in to be serviced. **

Ok, now we'll start;

Step 1.

a) Remove all power from the notebook.(never a good idea to work on a computer thats on ~) This includes; Ac Adapter, Battery, and any USB device.

b) Start unscrewing all the labeled screws and arrange them on your post it note groups(use the image included). You will remove a total of 8 screws; 3 long, 3 medium, and 2 short.

Step 2.

a) Now turn over the notebook, open the lid (careful, the keyboard may be loose inside and can fall out partially), The power panel and keyboard will now be loose and are ready to be removed.

b) Take your soft durable piece of plastic (your listerine pack), locate the left side gap between the bottom case and power panel, and pry the corner closest. It should come up pretty easily, if it does not make sure you got all the screws you needed to from the bottom of the notebook.

c) Once you pop up that side you should be able to get a grip of the keyboard, pull the keyboard towards you, you don't have to disconnect it, once its out of the way you should be able to get your fingers under the power panel, you'll hear some clicking... but don't worry thats normal.

d) Now the power panel should only be connected by 2 connectors. The power switch and the media touchpad. First unplug the power switch, BE VERY CAREFUL, try not to pull on it with the cord... the power buttons are very fragile, try and get your 2 index fingers to pull the top corners. It can be hard but it will come out, try wiggling it.

e) All thats left is the media touch pad. using your 2 thumbs and/or index fingers pull up on the either side of the input, should be fairly easy to get open. Then remove the power panel.

Step 3.

a) Now you will need to removed 2 more screws, they are located in the middle back of the unit. Use the image for reference.

b) Now heres the tricky part. You will need to pull back the medal which is covering the logic to be able to see and remove the input. You can do this 1 of 2 ways;

The Hard way: While holding up the metal over the input, try and get your finger and a tool on either side and wiggle it out.

The Easy way: Get come metal clippers or even scissors and cut the small while that extends out the read of the plug.

Either way gets the job done.... and don't worry its ok for you to leave that plug in the input after you clip it, it won't hurt anything...

Step 4.

a) Now screw your TC Screws back in. Plug both your Media Touch pad, and Power switch back in. Carefully put the panel back on, be sure to tilt it up so the rear of the panel fits flush with the rear LCD hinge guard. Once you get the back in position you can push down either side of the panel, you should hear a couple of snaps.

b) Now take your keyboard put the bottom of the keyboard into the groves located just about the touch pad. Once you have it in the slots you can push about 2 inches down from the top right of the keyboard, it should click under that tab, there are 3 more tabs like that vertically and horizontally of that initial tab.

c) The keyboard should be secure enough to move. Flip it over and start on the final step.

Step 5.

a) insert the screws into the proper positions, please review the image from step 1 to know where to put which screws.

Hope that helps.... Please post if you have any questions.
    HP/Compaq Notebook Technician.
    Warranty Service and Repair.

Specialization: HP; DV Series

I am not affiliated with HP and/or Compaq in anyway what so ever.

Notebook Consultant

Default Re: How To: Fix dv2000 Lid Switch(Backlight) issue.

If you find that this does not work, and you still are getting no video. Then your notebook could have possible BGA issues. dv20xx series is know for BGA issues. This requires you to send it to be serviced.

Moderately Boss

These guides will come handy.. thanks! rep'd
    . #flickr
    [Desktop] Silverstone LC20B | Q8200 2.8ghz | GTX680OCE | 8GB RAM | 128GB M4 SSD | 12TB HDD | Intel 6300N | Dell U3014
    [Notebook] HP DV2500 Verve SE | T7500 | 8400GS | 4GB DDR2 RAM | WD 250GB HDD | Intel 4965AGN |
    [Worktop] NZXT Apollo | i7-3770 | GTX 460SE | 12GB DDR3 | 120GB Intel 330 SSD | M-Audio Delta 66 | Dell U2913

Notebook Consultant

I know all this talk about dv2000s have people scared... if you have one and you haven't had problems yet here are some tips on how to prevent your laptop from having serious issues.

Tips:

• Resist from putting pressure on the left side of your unit. Below the keyboard to the left of your touchpad.
    • Keep your Heatsink and Fan clean, with a air compressor(recommended) or a can of compressed air.
    • Try not to leave your laptop on for long periods of time.
    • Its best not to move your laptop during use, or wait 15-20 seconds after shutting it down to move it around.
    • Resist pressing hard on the bottom left of your keyboard and touchpad.
    • Refrained from hitting your computer, and if you are going to hit it.... wait till it cools down a little, and maybe you will follow its lead...
    • Do not shut down your computer if it appears to have froze, wait at least 2-3 minutes before manually shutting down your unit.
    • If your computer's battery is running low, shut down and charge for a while.
    • NEVER START YOUR UNIT WITH A CRITICALLY LOW BATTERY!! This WILL cause a glitch in your system which causes sometimes FATAL issues with your unit's BIOS chip.

Also, its unofficial yet, but a possible cure for many of dv2xxx's issues is to update your BIOS.

Drivers for:

dv 20xx
    dv 21xx
    dv 22xx
    dv 23xx
    dv 24xx

If you don't know what model you have look here;
    How do i find out my model name/number?

Hope that helps, if you have any questions feel free to post them here...

Thanks so much for the post and the great pics... you saved my laptop....

Kudos to HP for making a Laptop that can survive being dropped...and only have this ONE stupid component fail.

Notebook Consultant

Great to hear. Its never fun to see or hear a delicate electronic device fall and hit the ground, good to see this has a happy ending.

My girlfriend presented me with her broken HP DV2000 last night. I could see that the LCD was working but the backlight was not. At first I thought it was the inverter but just to be sure I googled to see if this was a common problem . That's when I found your article.

The symptoms were as you described -- LCD works but no backlight. Also, the normally blue touchpad icon was illuminated with an orange LED (ostensibly because the laptop thinks the lid is closed and turns off the touchpad to save power).

Anyway, I tried your fix and it worked. I chose to disconnect the lid sensor (in case she wants to get it fully serviced later). I lifted the metal shield and used a tiny screwdriver to *carefully* push the plug away from the board-mounted jack. Eventually it popped out. If you go this route I'd be careful to work the plug out slowly and not apply too much force so you don't scratch the motherboard when the plug finally pops out.

Thanks for posting this.

FX - holy crap! - thanks for posting that...you just saved me a lot of money!!! - the pictures and instructions were perfect....wow

Hey guys,
    i have a dv2000 as well and it seems like my backlight is gone out in this one...not sure. When i first boot it up, i can see the HP logo, and then it goes blank. Do you think the above fix will work on mine?
    thanks!

Notebook Virtuoso

Don't think so. See if it can boot from a CD like MemTest86+. Better yet, can you get into the BIOS? If both of those work I'd run the HD diagnostics in the BIOS. If neither works, things start getting expensive.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast