Quantcast HP Spectre 13T-3000 - Page 53

+ Reply to Thread
Page 53 of 232 FirstFirst ... 34349505152535455565763103153 ... LastLast
Like Tree134Likes

Thread: HP Spectre 13T-3000

Notebook Consultant

Default Re: HP Spectre 13T-3000

Sounds like the i5-4200U's turbo boost is not kicking in. Looking at a review of last year's Spectre XT 13-2000, it looks like the Spectre does disable turbo boost at lower temperatures than most other laptops.
    For typical usage this isn't a problem. Dual-core Haswell is very capable at 1.6ghz, and gaming shouldn't be affected since the ULV CPU's disable turbo when stressing the GPU anyway, but this is pretty unfortunate for those who want to stress the CPU for compiling code, rendering videos, etc.

Can someone check if there's a BIOS setting to disable this sort of thing?
    HP DV6t-7000
    i7-3610QM, 8gb DDR3 RAM, GT 650M, 1tb HD, 32gb mSATA SSD, 1080p screen

Notebook Consultant

Just thought I'd confirm that I got about the same performance number they mention in the review. I actually have the i7 so you'd think it would be a bit better: 26.26GOPS

I'll check the bios when I get the chance...

Notebook Consultant

Well, I checked the BIOS but I didn't see anything too promising. You can disable 2 intel related things: Intel Smart Connect and Intel Rapid Start. Both are enabled by default but can be disabled.

For those of you who need function keys there is hope. You can change the settings so that the "Fn" key must be pressed for the function keys to be action keys making them F1-F12 by default. In other words, to brighten the display you would have to hit the "Fn" key and "F3" at the same time, but you wouldn't need to hit "Fn" if you just wanted "F3".

The HP CPU nerfing is a bit of a mystery. I wonder if they couldn't keep the system cool enough and had to step something down. Maybe they'll unlock the BIOS so we can tool around with it some day.

Notebook Consultant

One other bit of info - I ran the Intel Processor Identification Utility and apparently the bus on this system is running at 49MHz.

The utility also states that the processor was manufactured to operate at 100MHz. I don't know if this gets stepped up and down, but this would definitely explain the performance numbers.

It would be great to see some comparisons with similar hardware (the similarly configured Sony, Asus, Samsung, Acer and Dell ultrabooks). They had other issues though. I'm not sure faster bus speed would compensate for them...

Notebook Consultant

Sorry to flood the forum, but one more word on this: I also looked at GeekBench:

Hewlett-Packard HP Spectre 13 Ultrabook Benchmark Chart - Geekbench Browser

The lower datapoint is mine, but the other two entries give much better numbers for this laptop, so I'm almost certain some kind of throttling is going on and I bet it can be disabled somehow. It may require uninstalling some software or some such thing.

EDIT: and I should add that the other two entries are very close to the competition listed on this site (Aspire S7-392 and Dell XPS 12)

Notebook Consultant

Mm, that may just be a bug with Intel Processor Identification Utility. It would be very unusual for the i5-4200U or any Haswell CPU to be running with a 49Mh bus speed. Typically it's the multiplier that changes, while the bus speed stays constant (frequency = bus speed * multiplier).

Can you try out CPU-Z and see what it reports for the bus speed? If you could track the frequency/core speed while running a CPU benchmark, that would be great too. I'm wondering if it turbo's at all when stressed. Without turbo, your i7-4500U should hit a maximum 1.7ghz, but with turbo, you should see 2.7~3.0ghz. This would account for the very large benchmark differences. The i5-4200U should reach 2.3~2.6ghz with turbo.

I have a few thoughts on attempting to enable turbo... I'll post them in a moment. I really hope this can be resolved.
    HP DV6t-7000

Notebook Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by SInC View Post
    Mm, that may just be a bug with Intel Processor Identification Utility. It would be very unusual for the i5-4200U or any Haswell CPU to be running with a 49Mh bus speed. Typically it's the multiplier that changes, while the bus speed stays constant (frequency = bus speed * multiplier).

Can you try out CPU-Z and see what it reports for the bus speed? If you could track the frequency/core speed while running a CPU benchmark, that would be great too. I'm wondering if it turbo's at all when stressed. Without turbo, your i7-4500U should hit a maximum 1.7ghz, but with turbo, you should see 2.7~3.0ghz. This would account for the very large benchmark differences. The i5-4200U should reach 2.3~2.6ghz with turbo.

I have a few thoughts on attempting to enable turbo... I'll post them in a moment. I really hope this can be resolved.
    Well I take some heart in knowing that some others out there have resolved this, namely the other two people that uploaded there geekbench results

I'll let you know what I find out.

Notebook Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by FredSRichardson View Post
    Well I take some heart in knowing that some others out there have resolved this, namely the other two people that uploaded there geekbench results

Hey Fred just wanted to say thanks for digging around and trying to find out what's going on. Receiving mine in a few weeks and would love to know if there is some solution. Really is quite a strange occurrence.

Notebook Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by FredSRichardson View Post

Ah, I didn't realize I was looking at only Spectre scores, thought the other two were the S7 and XPS 12 haha.
    One difference between your benchmark and theirs is that you're running a newer BIOS version (.07 v .06). There appears to be an even newer version available, v.09. Maybe try upgrading to that? The release notes don't mention anything CPU related however.

Anyway, here's a couple of things to try to enable turbo:
    1. Ensure that the maximum processor state is at 100%. By default, the "High Performance" power plan should have this. You can check this value by right clicking the battery icon->power options->Change plan settings->Change advanced power settings->and finally this window.

2. See if any options are unlocked in Intel Extreme Tuning Utility. All of the options are likely to be locked down in a laptop, but the Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro Ultrabook actually had a number of the sliders unlocked, so might as well check.
    HP DV6t-7000

Notebook Enthusiast

I was doing some more reading, and this review on the Spectre 13 x2 mentions the manufacturer artificially limiting the power consumption of the CPU from 11.5 W to 7-9 W, for the sake of temperature management. This is with the native i5-4202Y, but it seems that they may have hamstrung the ultrabook version of the Spectre 13 in the same way. I'm guessing there may be overheating issues otherwise? Pretty sneaky stuff.