Quantcast HP Envy 17.3" m7-j010dx -- Haswell + IPS touch display for $1000?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Notebook Guru

Default HP Envy 17.3" m7-j010dx -- Haswell + IPS touch display for $1000?

Edit: mods, please move to the Envy 17" subforum, just realized that it existed...

HP ENVY TouchSmart 17.3" TouchScreen Laptop 8GB Memory 1TB Hard Drive m7-j010dx - Best Buy

Saw this in store yesterday. Screen looked amazing, and I believe it is a glossy IPS. Keyboard has a nice feel. Anyone have hands-on time with this laptop yet? I know it's pretty new (they were putting them out as I got there) but I thought I would open this up for feedback now. Keyboard has the same feel as my elitebook, and is backlit!

I was looking at 15" IPS laptops in this price range with the same specs, so this seems like a pretty killer value.

Edit:

It seems that this same setup is available from HP directly at a lower cost under the moniker HP ENVY 17t-j000 Quad Edition Notebook PC, but includes a blu-ray player instead of DVD player. http://www.shopping.hp.com/en_US/hom...on-Notebook-PC
    Add-ons that the BB version have are 1080p display (IPS I think, +90), bluetooth(+15), backlit keyboard(+30), bringing the HP total to $964 right now after instant discount.
    Last edited by xEtherealx; 23rd June 2013 at 12:05 PM.

Notebook Evangelist

Default Re: HP Envy 17.3" m7-j010dx -- Haswell + IPS touch display for $1000?

I tried to get a look at this model at a Best Buy today, but they didn't have a floor display unit set up. I mostly wanted to check out what you said about the screen. If it is indeed an IPS screen I'd definitely be interested in buying one. HP's specs say it's only 1600x900 resolution, however: HP ENVY TouchSmart m7-j010dx Notebook PC Product Specifications | HP® Support so I also wanted to verify that (as BB's specs say 1080p). Best Buy's specs also say that the screen is anti-glare type, but you're saying the one you saw was glossy? This matches with that HP specs page, as it says "BrightView", which is what HP calls their glossy panels.

Anyways, I'll probably head back in another day or two to see if they've put out a floor display unit. If anybody else has seen a unit at a Best Buy, please see about these things:

1) Glossy or anti-glare screen?
    2) 900p or 1080p native resolution?
    3) Wide viewing angles indicating IPS screen?

Edit: Also, I did see the model's info/price card, and it said the battery life is rated at 8 hours 15 minutes. The non-touchscreen version is rated at 9 hours 30 minutes at HP's site: http://www.shopping.hp.com/en_US/hom...on-Notebook-PC
    I have no experience with touchscreen notebooks, but I'm assuming that the touchscreen is what is cutting down that battery life? Do other touchscreen notebooks allow one to disable the touch functionality?
    Gateway P-6860FX w/ T9300, Lenovo T400, Sony Vaio Z12, HP Envy 17t-j000

NBR Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by madmook View Post
    I tried to get a look at this model at a Best Buy today, but they didn't have a floor display unit set up. I mostly wanted to check out what you said about the screen. If it is indeed an IPS screen I'd definitely be interested in buying one. HP's specs say it's only 1600x900 resolution, however: HP ENVY TouchSmart m7-j010dx Notebook PC Product Specifications | HP® Support so I also wanted to verify that (as BB's specs say 1080p). Best Buy's specs also say that the screen is anti-glare type, but you're saying the one you saw was glossy? This matches with that HP specs page, as it says "BrightView", which is what HP calls their glossy panels.

Anyways, I'll probably head back in another day or two to see if they've put out a floor display unit. If anybody else has seen a unit at a Best Buy, please see about these things:

Edit: Also, I did see the model's info/price card, and it said the battery life is rated at 8 hours 15 minutes. The non-touchscreen version is rated at 9 hours 30 minutes at HP's site: HP ENVY 17t-j000 Quad Edition Notebook PC | HP® Official Store
    I have no experience with touchscreen notebooks, but I'm assuming that the touchscreen is what is cutting down that battery life? Do other touchscreen notebooks allow one to disable the touch functionality?
    I was at a local Best Buy today and saw both this and the new m6-k015dx on display. I can help you answer some of the questions that you have.

1. Both the new m6 and m7 have a glossy screen (similar to the Infinity displays from way back when).
    2. I did not check the display resolution in the Control Panel, but I'll have to side with HP on this one - it looked like 1600x900 to me.
    3. Not sure. Looking at the pictures, the m6 does not have an IPS display (although I may be incorrect on this) and the jury is out on the m7.

Here's a pic that I took of the new m7. I'll be posting up a new announcement thread about these new models shortly.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hp_m7-j.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	221.2 KB 
ID:	97929

Notebook Guru

I guess I missed the detail of the HP computer that I linked to having no touchscreen, so I guess I can assume the display may not be as good as the best buy version.

The details of the HP website are different from BestBuy`s details and it must be anti-glare screen, 1080 resolution and viewing angles. Otherwise it is a false advs and BB can be suit.

Notebook Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ithaca View Post
    The details of the HP website are different from BestBuy`s details and it must be anti-glare screen, 1080 resolution and viewing angles. Otherwise it is a false advs and BB can be suit.

The screen at BB is glossy, and it is a touchscreen. I don't think touchscreens come in matte. I wasn't able to get a rep to tell me if it is IPS or not, noone seems to know... but the viewing angles suggest so. The BB model is not available on HP's website.

Notebook Evangelist

Bleh, I'm looking for a matte screen, so my interest in this model just died. Also, if it is 1080p I'd also want a blu-ray drive.
    Gateway P-6860FX w/ T9300, Lenovo T400, Sony Vaio Z12, HP Envy 17t-j000

Notebook Guru

Quote Originally Posted by madmook View Post
    Bleh, I'm looking for a matte screen, so my interest in this model just died. Also, if it is 1080p I'd also want a blu-ray drive.
    The HP version has a matte screen, and a blu-ray drive. Probably not IPS.

Notebook Enthusiast

THE NEW HASWELL ENVY LAPTOPS DO NOT HAVE IPS DISPLAYS AVAILABLE< PERIOD. enough with the "its glossy so it must be IPS"....they are ALL BRIGHTVIEW crap...HP has ruined the Envy name...you will have to wait for SPECTRE haswell versions...if they even make them.

Notebook Guru

Quote Originally Posted by dtrell View Post
    THE NEW HASWELL ENVY LAPTOPS DO NOT HAVE IPS DISPLAYS AVAILABLE< PERIOD. enough with the "its glossy so it must be IPS"....they are ALL BRIGHTVIEW crap...HP has ruined the Envy name...you will have to wait for SPECTRE haswell versions...if they even make them.
    And how do you know this? As I said, the 17" envy at Best Buy appeared to be IPS, and I looked hard at it. The particular model is not listed on HP's website. Furthermore, the models on the HP site offer an optional "17.3-inch diagonal Full HD Anti-glare LED-backlit Display (1920 x 1080)" -- ie NOT brighteview.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast