Quantcast *HP ENVY 17 & 17 3D (3XXX series) Owners Lounge* - Page 56

+ Reply to Thread
Page 56 of 223 FirstFirst ... 64652535455565758596066106156 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: *HP ENVY 17 & 17 3D (3XXX series) Owners Lounge*

Notebook Geek

Default Re: *HP ENVY 17 & 17 3D (3XXX series) Owners Lounge*

Quote Originally Posted by engbouy View Post
    Thanks, but nothing worked so far ... I'm running it using the Intel graphic card for now ...
    That's weird. I had the exact same problem. All I had to do was install the 12.1 drivers over the drivers that came with the HP Envy. After that, it worked fine.

The windows xp compatibility should be used to improve the framerate in the game.
    Returned:ENVY 17t-3000 3D | i7-2670QM | 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz| 1GB Radeon 7690M XT | Samsung 128GB mSATA SSD | 2x1TB 5400 rpm HDD | Intel 6300 + BT 4.0 + WiDi | Wireless KleerNet Audio | 6.1 Beats Audio System |

Current:M17x R3 | i7 2820QM | 8GB SDRAM 1333MHz | 2 GB Radeon 6970M | 2x 256 GB Solid State Drive | Blu-ray Disc | Soft Touch Stealth Black | Killer Wireless-N 1103 a/g/n 3x3 MIMO| 17.3 inch Wide FHD (1920 x 1080 60Hz) WLED Display |

Greetings to the lounge members. I am about to order a replacement HP Envy 17 for my girlfriend that includes the following items:

2nd generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2450M Processor (2.5 GHz with Turbo Boost up to 3.1 GHz)
    8GB 1333MHz DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)
    910GB 7200 rpm Dual Hard Drive (SSD 160GB+750GB 7200 rpm) With HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection

She will be using it for basic office applications, playing games like Sims, and digital image processing and possibly video editing.

Do you think the i5 processor will be sufficient? Will the i7 be any big performance improvement?

Thank you in advance for your response.

Gary

Notebook Consultant

I'd grab an i7 to extend the useful life of the laptop, eventually more and more applications will be coded to take advantage of high core counts.

However, If you are working on a budget the i5 will work.

Notebook Consultant

I think it really depends on the specific application (not the type of application). Most software still isn't optimized for dual cores let alone quad cores.

The only program I run that ever uses all 4 cores at once is a music file converter.

Notebook Geek

Alright, so I received my ENVY 17-3002ef (non-3D), ordered directly at HP France for 1498 €. Specs are 1920*1080 Radiance display, i7-2670QM, 6 Gb DDR3 (extended to 8 Gb with a 4 Gb PC10600 stick replacing the 2 Gb one), 1 Tb 5400rpm HDD (replaced it with a 500 Gb 7200rpm HDD and added a 120 Gb SSD), the rest is standard to the 17-3XXX line.
    So here's maybe one of the first "extended" reviews on this side of the Atlantic Ocean!

First I checked for any build defect and the laptop has NONE. No USB dent nor trackpad bump (as you can see on the pictures below). That may give credit to the fact that there are issues only with CTOs laptops, and that standard configurations are fine. Note that we don't have the choice here in France, so maybe no laptop will be impacted by the build issues.

I already own the ENVY 17-2000 for more than 6 months now, so I can actually compare both laptops, and this is going to be the axis of my review.

*** PROS ***

- Nice power block zip cover case with ENVY logo.

- Power block is a bit wider but almost twice thinner than the one for the 17-2000, and it feels lighter. Good point HP!

- Very well built laptop. My 17-2000 was well built as well, but it had a small screen issue on the top right corner (it was not well fixed to the laptop casing).

- Overall the battery/HDD/memory access seems better (although you have to remove 6 screws to access the memory module - but there you can access all components). I moved the HDD caddy to the second bay (replaced the HDD) and added an SSD in the first bay with some tape. No problem here, the casing is well-suited even if you don't get a second caddy for the SSD, it won't move.

- One of the first things striking you when you turn the laptop on is the quality of the keyboard backlight. WAY better than the 17-2000, where the backlighting was very disappointing to me. No more light coming out of the borders under the keys (or very slightly), letters are a lot brighter. Plus you have the choice of 3 backlight levels, and it switches on/off in a nice progressive way along the keyboard.

(17-2000 vs 17-3002)

- The keyboard has somewhat a more robust feeling, less flex than the 17-2000 one. For now I noticed it's a bit harder to have a perfect typing without any missing/wrong keystroke, but I think it's only a matter of being used to it. Keyboard is about the same as the 17-2000 one, with some keys that have been replaced (finally some play/pause and previous/forward multimedia keys, yay!).
    It has no flex/clicking issue on the left side as some reported.

- The screen luminosity increases/decreases in a smooth way when you use the luminosity keys (up/down), or when your computer display is dimming (and back on) after some time. On the 17-2000 each luminosity level was a "step" up and down. It's really a small cosmetic detail but it adds to the laptop overall "comfy" feeling.

- Screen quality is very good. I couldn't notice any major difference with the 17-2000 screen (which is not meant to be a "Radiance" display), but maybe the colors are a bit more vivid. Viewing angles seems the same to me.

- Fans are definitely quieter than my 17-2000 (Coolsense ON - using AMD graphics). You can still hear them and they are always on, but the sound is less noticeable than on the other laptop.

- Laptop is definitely cooler than my 17-2000 while in standard use (internet, multimedia, etc.). As the CPU and GPU are located near the back of the laptop the palm rests never get hot (while the left palm rest on the 17-2000 was getting hot, especially when playing games). But overall I think the location of the fans and other components is smarter than on the 17-2000.
    Note that I couldn't check the temps/fan noise while playing games yet.

- There is no more annoying optical drive "self-extracting" sound when starting the laptop (only a very slight sound but nothing like the one on the 17-2000) ! Man, this is nice...

- I confirm you can plug a USB device (like an iPhone) on the USB port with a flash logo on the left side of the laptop and you will have power to charge it when laptop is shut down.

- Love the volume adjuster. It generally works on the main Windows volume, although I noticed it only impacts the application's volume in some cases (e.g. Media player classic). I'd love to remap the Beats button action for something else (new Chrome page or something), but couldn't dig to find out how yet.

- Laptop is actually a tiny bit thinner and smaller than the 17-2000.

*** CONS ***

- Chipset is HM65 Express, whereas the 17-2000 had the HM67. But then again when comparing the two chipset specs it's definitely more or less the same...

- I confirm the first HDD bay is SATA III whereas the second is only SATA II. That doesn't bothers me in my current configuration. Looking at the chipset specs it seems that it supports only 2 SATA III ports, so I guess the 17-3002 is using it for the mSATA port.

- I definitely have the sound volume issue some others reported, i.e. when listening to music the volume seems to vary in time depending on the part of each song being played (e.g. a part with lots of bass and instruments will be played at slightly lower volume). It's very noticeable when I use the headphone port to plug my HiFi amp/speakers.
    I don't seem to have the static/buzz issue some others reported though.
    I didn't have much time to look at it but it seems like a driver issue. I've tried to install the latest IDT driver but it did nothing. EQ was off in both iTunes and Winamp (as was the Beats EQ), but the issue was noticeable no matter the player being used. I suspect the Beats software being the cause.

EDIT: OK, so I just uninstalled the IDT Audio from the Programs and Features menu in the Control Panel, reboot, then Windows detects the hardware and installs the driver, and tadaaa! Played a few song, and the volume issue is definitely gone! Now the sound is muuuuch better! Interestingly enough, the driver version Windows installed is 6.10.6359.0, whereas the latest from HP I had (and uninstalled) was 6.10.6370.0. Beats Control Panel is still there when you push the Beats button over the volume wheel, but the Beats "disc" icon when turning the wheel disappeared, replaced by a standard sound icon (?!) :

EDIT 2: Well after reboot the problem showed up again. No solution so far. :/

- Overall if you uncheck the Beats option from the software the sound coming out of the laptop speakers is quite flat. But with it on it's fine, definitely in the same league than the 17-2000, maybe slightly better. But again I think it needs some adjustments to have a correct sound.

- IR sensors doesn't seem to work for me? I configured it at maximum detection level and 10 seconds delay but the keyboard backlight doesn't switch off (or back on) when I'm away from the computer? Maybe I missed something because I didn't search a lot though.
    The IR sensors are located on the top of the display panel (on each side of the webcam), and they are definitely noticeable (two red dots), but I thought it would disturb me when using the laptop, while in fact you don't notice them much when looking at the screen.

- Couldn't make GTA IV running on it yet, same for EFLC. The installation seems fine but when I install the latest patch the game just won't launch. Couldn't figure out why yet (I suspect some SecuROM/Windows Games Live issue or something)... EDIT: fixed! Patch installation path stupid issue...

Some comparison pictures:

CPU-Z:

If you have any info you'd like to know just ask and I'll see what I can do.

I'm interested if anyone could fix the audio volume going in and out... or if anyone can post their Beats audio settings here! EDIT: seems to be fixed! EDIT 2: Still there after reboot...
    Last edited by fish1203; 16th February 2012 at 04:22 AM.

Notebook Evangelist

regarding the sound - try changing the power options inside the beats control panel. dont know whether you can turn it off completely without turning off the beats software.

one question:

are these some speakers on top of the keyboard? or are the only speakers those on the front side where theyre also placed on previous envy versions?

i like the top cover design of the envy 17 1000/2000 MUCH more than the boring new one, no matter whether some find it to be too feminine, but thats just my personal opinion.
    HP Compaq 8510p
    HP Elitebook 8730w
    HP Elitebook 8440p
    HP Elitebook 8540w
    HP Elitebook 8470w
    ENVY 17 3D

Notebook Consultant

Thanks for that fish1203

Notebook Enthusiast

Thanks for the review fish1203. I see you are in France like me. I do also have an envy 17, but it came from the US. I thought I would buy a french keyboard part and replace the qwerty one, but I see you have an extra key on azerty keyboard : the one used to make <> symbols, on the right of your left shift button.

Quote Originally Posted by fish1203 View Post
    - Love the volume adjuster. It generally works on the main Windows volume, although I noticed it only impacts the application's volume in some cases (e.g. Media player classic). I'd love to remap the Beats button action for something else (new Chrome page or something), but couldn't dig to find out how yet.
    Here is what I posted on the 15 Owners lounge :
    BTW, here is a beginning of solution for those who wanted to launch a different program with the beats button.
    The .exe file launched is C:\Program Files\IDT\WDM\IDTNGUI.exe.

I've tested by renaming it to IDTNGUI-ori.exe and put an other program (putty.exe) instead of it and it works.
    The solution would be to be able to create a .exe that launch your desired program. If anyone knows how...
    Keep it mind that if you still want to be able to access beats control panel you will have to create a shortcut of IDTNGUI-ori.exe and place in your Quicklaunch menu or wherever you want.
    - IR sensors doesn't seem to work for me? I configured it at maximum detection level and 10 seconds delay but the keyboard backlight doesn't switch off (or back on) when I'm away from the computer? Maybe I missed something because I didn't search a lot though.
    The IR sensors are located on the top of the display panel (on each side of the webcam), and they are definitely noticeable (two red dots), but I thought it would disturb me when using the laptop, while in fact you don't notice them much when looking at the screen.
    Had the same problem to make IR sensors work and I ended up turning the thing off. Keeping keyboard always backlighted isn't a problem at all.

I'm interested if anyone could fix the audio volume going in and out... or if anyone can post their Beats audio settings here!
    [/QUOTE]

Could you try this settings and tell me what you think ? I tried it quickly and it sounded better:

Also for your touchpad, you should install reil's envytouchpad. Here are my settings for synaptics and envytouchpad:

Howdy all,

I was wondering where I could purchase the Envy 17 3D 3000 series in Australia? Do they have stock out here yet everywhere I've contacted they haven't heard of this model.

Thanks.

Notebook Evangelist

Quote Originally Posted by necrophyte View Post
    regarding the sound - try changing the power options inside the beats control panel. dont know whether you can turn it off completely without turning off the beats software.

one question:

are these some speakers on top of the keyboard? or are the only speakers those on the front side where theyre also placed on previous envy versions?

i like the top cover design of the envy 17 1000/2000 MUCH more than the boring new one, no matter whether some find it to be too feminine, but thats just my personal opinion.
    I agree. The top of the old Envy is what I miss most. The new top is quite a bore.
    ----------------------
    Sold:
    HP Envy 17 3D
    1080P LCD screen
    2 x 1TB HDD
    8GB RAM
    Blu-ray Reader/Burner
    -----
    Current:
    HP Envy 17 3D SB 2011
    128GB SSD + 2 x 1TB HDD
    8GB RAM