Quantcast *HP ENVY 15 (3XXX series) Owners Lounge* - Page 40

+ Reply to Thread
Page 40 of 260 FirstFirst ... 303637383940414243445090140 ... LastLast
    Notebook Guru

Default Re: *HP ENVY 15 (3XXX series) Owners Lounge*

Lvivkse, you did it! How does the red and violet feel to you now post-calibration?

My username is a typo

Quote Originally Posted by Drelnis View Post
    Lvivkse, you did it! How does the red and violet feel to you now post-calibration?
    Violet's a lost cause, red is about 50% fixed (darker/deeper shades, like on objects with depth [sports jerseys, youtube logo, etc] look decent enough, but pure 255/0/0 red like on CNN or other flat graphics fall on the orange side of the fence.

for those who don't feel like searchin', go into graphics properties (intel; right click on desktop) and color enhancement:
    Quote Originally Posted by Lvivkse View Post
    RED
    Brightness: 2
    Contrast: 50
    Gamma: 1.0

BLUE
    Brightness: -6
    Contrast: 51
    Gamma: 1.1

GREEN
    Brightness: 1
    Contrast: 49
    Gamma: 0.9

ALL
    Hue: 350
    Saturation: 8
    Apple Macbook Pro Retina <3
    HP Envy17 3D [for sale]
    HP Envy15 (Returned because it sucked)
    HP Envy14 [for sale]

Notebook Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Lvivkse View Post
    Violet's a lost cause, red is about 50% fixed (darker/deeper shades, like on objects with depth [sports jerseys, youtube logo, etc] look decent enough, but pure 255/0/0 red like on CNN or other flat graphics fall on the orange side of the fence.

for those who don't feel like searchin', go into graphics properties (intel; right click on desktop) and color enhancement:
    These settings should go up on the OP until we get something better methinks.

Regarding the VBIOS issue, I doubt we'll ever see a fix for this. I've been doing some research and the only way it's going to happen is if HP, AMD and LG were to liaise on a fix. It would require AMD sending out a VBIOS update based on them coming up with a solution from LG and having HP then build this into a driver update for their switchable setup.

So yeah, not gonna happen.

Notebook Consultant

Well I spent a long time with HP on the phone. They were nice although I wasted a lot of time reinstalling drivers and troubleshooting my two issues (dead right front speaker, red displaying as orange) which I knew would be to no avail.

Short version is they are sending me a replacement as they are 'confident' they can deliver a perfect product that I will be happy with. To say the least I am skeptical about the screen issue, but as I really do like the Envy 15 in every other way I'm going to give them a chance to please me.

Sadly they seem completely ignorant of the color fidelity issue with these FHD Radiance panels. What I don't know is if some percentage of the panels are defective and display red as orange (which are the ones we are hearing about here) or if they all are, and those that haven't posted here or called HP are just unaware of it or don't care. Has ANYONE gotten a new Envy 15 with FHD Radiance display that displays proper colors ?

The issue with my speaker (dead right front, all the sound comes from the left regardless of balance setting) should be an isolated sample defect.

I'm sending my first Envy 15 back tomorrow. Since the 33% coupon I used had expired they placed a new order with the $250 instant discount plus an unspecified $300 coupon. Even with the newly reduced price of the 300gb SSD it was still $75 more than my original order, but they say they will credit that back once it ships.

Well I hope the replacement is perfect. I'd probably be very happy with the 17" 3D but alas it is just too big for me to carry around every day.

Notebook Evangelist

Quote Originally Posted by ekovalsky View Post
    Well I spent a long time with HP on the phone. They were nice although I wasted a lot of time reinstalling drivers and troubleshooting my two issues (dead right front speaker, red displaying as orange) which I knew would be to no avail.

Short version is they are sending me a replacement as they are 'confident' they can deliver a perfect product that I will be happy with. To say the least I am skeptical about the screen issue, but as I really do like the Envy 15 in every other way I'm going to give them a chance to please me.

Sadly they seem completely ignorant of the color fidelity issue with these FHD Radiance panels. What I don't know is if some percentage of the panels are defective and display red as orange (which are the ones we are hearing about here) or if they all are, and those that haven't posted here or called HP are just unaware of it or don't care. Has ANYONE gotten a new Envy 15 with FHD Radiance display that displays proper colors ?

The issue with my speaker (dead right front, all the sound comes from the left regardless of balance setting) should be an isolated sample defect.

I'm sending my first Envy 15 back tomorrow. Since the 33% coupon I used had expired they placed a new order with the $250 instant discount plus an unspecified $300 coupon. Even with the newly reduced price of the 300gb SSD it was still $75 more than my original order, but they say they will credit that back once it ships.

Well I hope the replacement is perfect. I'd probably be very happy with the 17" 3D but alas it is just too big for me to carry around every day.
    Post back when you get ur new envy. I ordered mine last week and my shipping date change and i am hoping its because of QC and screen. I am somewhat hopeful that mine will be perfect in all aspects..

Notebook Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ekovalsky View Post

I did the same with my 15 today also. Except mine was fine except for cosmetic defects. They gave a shipping date of January 26th, what date did they give you? I'm pretty sure that this color issue is with every Radiance HD IPS screen.

Notebook Consultant

Shipping date shows 1/26/11, they beat that on my first order by a week so hopefully it will be sooner. I don't think they drop to the factory until my existing Envy is heading back to them, I just packed it and it will be dropped off tomorrow.

Until I see someone that has a Envy 15 FHD Radiance IPS screen that reports the colors are correct, my assumption is that all of them will have the poor color fidelity.

Notebook Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by StakeX View Post
    For anyone who has the bent speaker grill or an uneven front edge and don't want to bother exchanging it, I managed to "correct" it by doing a little operating.

You will need to remove the hard drive and the battery. The battery is the tricky part. As noted in another thread, there are 3 tamper seals on the Torx screws. You will need to carefully remove them. I used an X-acto knife to carefully pull them off. They will rip and possibly void your warrantee. (I have no idea why it's important to have these in the first place. It really should be a user replaceable part.)

Once you pull the battery, there are two rows of flat head screws under the hard drive/battery compartment and a few screws directly on the edge. Unscrew selectively unscrew them for the side you need to fix.

Pull the edge open that holds the plastic and metal halves together. Use a thin, but strong, tool to bend the metal edge outward gently. I used the bottom non-cutting side of the X-acto blade (the portion that sits inside the X-acto handle. You can tape the cutting side if you want to play it safe.) If you do it carefully, you will be able to make the metal edge flush with the rest of the body by prying the metal forward. Use as little force as possible until you get it flush.

Note: you should not put the tool you are using too deeply into the edge area where the speakers are. You may damage the speakers if you do.

Also, you can use the X-acto to slide it in the gap and fix your bent USB port as well.
    My speakers were dented inwards as well. I was going to open it up to fix it, but I called HP just to see what they could do for me. I got them to agree to let me keep the unit I have until a new replacement with the exact same configuration arrives and they credited $50 to my account. They are paying for shipping to return the old machine too. I just will do a disk image and copy everything over to the new machine.

If you are within 21 days, I would suggest just calling HP if you don't think you are comfortable enough to open the laptop.

Notebook Enthusiast

Either I'm crazy or this is really RIDICULOUS.

I was looking into the Optical Drive to see if I can potentially replace it with a SSD and just found out that the device manager lists it as a "Optiarc DVD+-RW AD-7640A ATA Device".

That means it is a 12.7 mm drive, not a 9.5 mm drive? If that's the case, then shouldn't a Blu-Ray drive fit into this ENVY 15t-3000? There are plenty of 12.7 mm Blu-Ray internal drives available...

Also, looking into the Optiarc drive, it appears to be using an IDE connector? What on earth? Why is it not using SATA? -- Documentation

I hope I am very mistaken, any info would be helpful.

Notebook Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Thors.Hammer View Post
    Could you clarify this statement? Are you saying the BIOS has a setting that can be changed?

thanks
    Laptop BIOS is combined with motherboard BIOS and Video BIOS, and VBIOS can do color profile setting adjustment. When you flash your BIOS, VBIOS update also.