Quantcast HP ENVY 17 and its graphics drivers

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23
  1. #1
    Notebook Guru
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    53
    Rep Power
    8

    Default HP ENVY 17 and its graphics drivers

    Does the ENVY 17 support the original AMD Catalyst Mobility or is it incompatible with that?

    Quote Originally Posted by AMD
    The following notebooks are not compatible with this release:
    • Any notebook launched after this driver release
    • Switchable Graphics enabled notebooks.
    • Toshiba® notebooks (please contact the notebook OEM for driver support for these notebooks)
    • Sony® VAIO® notebooks (please contact the notebook OEM for driver support for these notebooks)
    • Panasonic® notebooks (please contact the notebook OEM for driver support for these notebooks)
    Do I need to use HP's OEM drivers?

  2. #2
    NBR Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    San Diego, CA (USA)
    Posts
    2,829
    Rep Power
    32

    Default Re: HP ENVY 17 and its graphics drivers

    Welcome to the NBR forums!

    You must use HP's OEM drivers first, and then use the drivers provided by AMD. Do not remove the OEM drivers - install on top of them.

  3. #3
    Notebook Guru
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    53
    Rep Power
    8

    Default Re: HP ENVY 17 and its graphics drivers

    Thank you very much for your welcome and your advice. Hopefully I will receive a response as informatively as yours in the 8440p thread, too.

    Best regards

    blaze84
    Last edited by blaze84; 7th August 2012 at 08:44 AM.

  4. #4
    Notebook Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    43
    Rep Power
    8

    Default Re: HP ENVY 17 and its graphics drivers

    Quote Originally Posted by justinkw1 View Post
    Welcome to the NBR forums!

    You must use HP's OEM drivers first, and then use the drivers provided by AMD. Do not remove the OEM drivers - install on top of them.
    Great advise to a question I am also looking to the answer to, could you provide a link to both the update HP drivers and the newest ATI drivers.

    Desparate to get BF3 running well on my:



    HP ENVY 17 Notebook 2101ea

    Windows 7 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.110622-1506)
    Intel Core i7-2630QM CPU @ 2.00GHz (8 CPUs),~2.0GHz
    Memory: 6144MB RAM

    ATI HD 6850M
    Display Memory: 3802 MB, Dedicated Memory: 1012 MB,Shared Memory: 2789 MB
    Driver File Version: 8.17.0010.1065 (English)
    Driver Version: 8.820.5.1000
    Driver Attributes: Final Retail
    Driver Date/Size: 3/31/2011 13:30:00, 708608 bytes

  5. #5
    Notebook Guru
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    53
    Rep Power
    8

    Default Re: HP ENVY 17 and its graphics drivers

    The latest graphics driver for the HP ENVY 17 is this one (HTML file).

    Here you can download the latest official AMD Catalyst Mobility driver and this is the direct link to the file.

  6. #6
    Notebook Consultant
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    266
    Rep Power
    10

    Default Re: HP ENVY 17 and its graphics drivers

    Actually, I think this whole latest driver thing is a bust.

    Installing the 11.11 package DOES NOT install the 8.911 driver at all. If you do a custom install you will see it just re-installs the 8.820.5.1000 driver from HP.

    If you uninstall the HP driver software completely and try to install 11.11 it will not install ANY driver, not even the one from HP (since you just deleted it by uninstalling).

    I managed to install the 8.911.1.0 driver from the new 11.11a driver package, but low and behold the driver does not work. It is installed, but it's incompatible with the hardware.

    Unless someone can prove me wrong, it looks like we are stuck with the HP driver until they decide to release an update. All of this installing over the HP drivers is complete BS; doesn't do a damn thing.

  7. #7
    Notebook Virtuoso
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2,032
    Rep Power
    28

    Default Re: HP ENVY 17 and its graphics drivers

    Quote Originally Posted by h8isgr8 View Post
    Actually, I think this whole latest driver thing is a bust.

    Installing the 11.11 package DOES NOT install the 8.911 driver at all. If you do a custom install you will see it just re-installs the 8.820.5.1000 driver from HP.

    If you uninstall the HP driver software completely and try to install 11.11 it will not install ANY driver, not even the one from HP (since you just deleted it by uninstalling).

    I managed to install the 8.911.1.0 driver from the new 11.11a driver package, but low and behold the driver does not work. It is installed, but it's incompatible with the hardware.

    Unless someone can prove me wrong, it looks like we are stuck with the HP driver until they decide to release an update. All of this installing over the HP drivers is complete BS; doesn't do a damn thing.
    You might want to give it another try...I have had no issues installing 11.8, 11.9, 11.10 or 11.11 by installing over the AMD drivers. When you uninstall, the card won't be recognized, nor will switchable graphics work. The HP driver contain AMD and Intel drivers in one package. When you install over the HP drivers...changes AMD but NOT Intel...which is what you want...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Capture.PNG  

  8. #8
    Notebook Consultant
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    266
    Rep Power
    10

    Default Re: HP ENVY 17 and its graphics drivers

    Leave it to Bob to make me look crazy. 0.o

    I don't know what's going on with my machine then. Like I said, I tried installing 11.11 over the HP drivers multiple times and it only ever reinstalls 8.820.5.1000. Have 8.911.1.0 installled now but I get a popup telling me the driver isn't compatible.

  9. #9
    Notebook Consultant
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    266
    Rep Power
    10

    Default Re: HP ENVY 17 and its graphics drivers

    OK, after countless attempts I finally have the updated 8.911.1.0 driver working.

    I uninstalled everything and used Driver Sweeper to clean up the leftovers. I installed the HP driver package, restarted, and then manually installed just the driver from this download.....

    http://www2.ati.com/drivers/hotfix/c...ws_vista_7.exe

  10. #10
    Notebook Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    43
    Rep Power
    8

    Default Re: HP ENVY 17 and its graphics drivers

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobmitch View Post
    You might want to give it another try...I have had no issues installing 11.8, 11.9, 11.10 or 11.11 by installing over the AMD drivers. When you uninstall, the card won't be recognized, nor will switchable graphics work. The HP driver contain AMD and Intel drivers in one package. When you install over the HP drivers...changes AMD but NOT Intel...which is what you want...

    Bob - sorry to go on, but with this info am so close to having what I need to update my drivers.


    So do I:

    Need to remove any current ATI drivers? (this is the bit I am most nervous about).

    Install the new HP drivers HP - sp53274.exe (this is listed as 8.820.5.1000 - June 03, 2011, the ones I have installed as per my DxDiag are 8.820.5.1000 but March 31, 2011 - are these different as the number is the same, with a different date).


    Then install Catalyst 11.11A 32-64 ccc.exe (148MB)?

    Is that it ?

    Thanks so much.

 

 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:43 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.2
Copyright © 2014 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1