Quantcast NOW AVAILABLE - Updated ENVY 15, ENVY 17 / ENVY 17 3D - Page 10

View Poll Results: Did you purchase a shiny new ENVY 15 and/or ENVY 17?

Voters
214. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, purchased the ENVY 15!

132 61.68%
  • Yes, purchased the ENVY 17 / ENVY 17 3D!

84 39.25%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 401 FirstFirst ... 678910111213142060110 ... LastLast
    Notebook Enthusiast

Default Re: COMING DECEMBER 7 - Updated ENVY 15, ENVY 17 / ENVY 17 3D

that is a display port full size, its similar to hdmi but less used, apple uses it.

Average Joe

The old Envy 15 allowed for anti-glare coating on a glossy screen. Not sure whether matte was available, but I'd take the former for the extra colors.

My username is a typo

Quote Originally Posted by Netherwind View Post
    Past experience says the high res screen won't be available and it will have a massive beats logo on the back of the laptop.
    but 1080p is standard, no? in that case it'll be the same across the board
    Apple Macbook Pro Retina <3
    HP Envy17 3D [for sale]
    HP Envy15 (Returned because it sucked)
    HP Envy14 [for sale]

Notebook Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by Lvivkse View Post
    oh no 1080p is in no way standard, and I have a feeling they may charge out the for it. We shall see soon.

Notebook Evangelist

Quote Originally Posted by zeth006 View Post
    The old Envy 15 allowed for anti-glare coating on a glossy screen. Not sure whether matte was available, but I'd take the former for the extra colors.
    Provided it's bright enough (Radiance should be) there shouldn't be an issue with the glossiness of the screen, hopefully.
    RIP: Dell M1210 6 years. Dell Inspiron 6400 6 years.
    Still running: Dell Inspiron 1520, 5 years.
    Returned Laptop: Asus G53SW.
    Currently musing: XPS 13, XPS 14, UX31A Haswell Refreshes

If you want to sound intelligent and have people listen to you, 'u' is not acceptable speech, typing the full word out makes you look more intelligent and takes an extra half second.

Average Joe

Quote Originally Posted by muerteman View Post
    oh no 1080p is in no way standard, and I have a feeling they may charge out the for it. We shall see soon.
    Other sources floating around on the web state that the stock resolution will be 1366x768. I won't be surprised if that's the case.

But that brings me to wonder. I'm tempted to argue "Well geez, if you're going to market a notebook as premium, why bother even selling a version with a lower resolution?" But giving it thought, I've come to the realization that the average person care does not care let alone even know about higher resolutions. That's why Apple is able to make some handsome margins off the starting Macbook Pro 13 with its 1280x800 display (See 50%+ people at my school). People get drawn in by the thin/light aluminum chassis, the light weight, and the battery life. They don't really notice the resolution. It's only informed people like you and me who care about resolution and opt for the higher resolution displays on our notebooks.

That being said, allow me to provide some perspective on what you can expect. My Envy 14 1st gen's radiance display is simply fantastic. Blacks are deep, color reproduction is great after calibration, and the brightness is way up there. All together, my notebook's display outdoes all others I've seen at my school. My friend who has a Macbook Pro borrowed my Envy for a few minutes to look up movie times and had good things to say about it. But it's really just a higher quality TN panel, not an IPS panel. Now imagine replacing my Envy 14's display with an IPS display, upping the screen size diagonally by an inch, and increasing the pixel density. That, my friends, is a recipe for having one of the best notebook displays around!

HP, I hope you got it down right. Please tell me you learned from your previous mistakes and found a way to make two-finger scrolling smooth!!!
    Last edited by zeth006; 19th November 2011 at 12:58 AM.

Average Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Lvivkse View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by muerteman View Post

Nope, 1080p was never the standard. Various articles on the web are saying the starting reso is 1366x768.

Average Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Netherwind View Post
    Provided it's bright enough (Radiance should be) there shouldn't be an issue with the glossiness of the screen, hopefully.

As a current 1st Gen Envy 14 owner with the Radiance display, I can attest that the super high brightness didn't solve the glare problem. I see my reflection and that of others' too easily!

Notebook Consultant

Does the 17 inch Envy have 3 USB 3.0 ports or 2? The reason I am asking is someone mentioned there were 3 USB 3.0 ports. Up until this point I have not seen any notebooks with more than 2 USB 3.0 ports (of course that doesn’t mean there aren’t any notebooks with 3 USB 3.0 ports)

Also,
    Can these be ordered before DEC 7th? I was just curious if I decide to purchase the ENVY 17 will it arrive by Christmas EVE.

FYI – I have never ordered a notebook from HP so I don’t know the length of time they take to ship. I assume extra time would be needed during this time of year due to possible heavy volume.

Thanks

My username is a typo

Quote Originally Posted by zeth006 View Post
    As a current 1st Gen Envy 14 owner with the Radiance display, I can attest that the super high brightness didn't solve the glare problem. I see my reflection and that of others' too easily!
    Glare has never been a problem with mine, but I guess this is a YMMV thing

Where would you be where glare would be an issue?
    Apple Macbook Pro Retina <3
    HP Envy17 3D [for sale]
    HP Envy15 (Returned because it sucked)
    HP Envy14 [for sale]