Quantcast Envy 14 - Windows 8

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Notebook Evangelist

Default Envy 14 - Windows 8

I tried to install Windows 8 dev preview a few times on my Envy 14-1xxx and ran into a number of issues. Most seem to be related to AMD video drivers.

Running without installing new drivers runs a generic AMD driver that has really bad power/heat management it seems. No switchable graphics (Actually not sure which card it was using anyways. Might be Intel), and no brightness controls.

Installing any new AMD drivers results in the screen going black thereafter and caused me a huge ordeal at least 3 times on separate installs.

Anyone have more success or issues?
    Envy 14:
    Core i5-450M
    6GB RAM
    160GB SSD
    Radiance Screen

Default Re: Envy 14 - Windows 8

I had the exact same issues. The video drivers are the only thing holding me back from actually using this as a viable OS at this point. I got CCC to install, and overrode the default AMD drivers for the video card. I even got switchable graphics working but it would only switch to intel. Not back to AMD... Also couldn't figure out how to change the screen brightness. The Fn keys wouldn't work and the on-screen options wouldn't either.

So it looks like I'm waiting for whenever the video drivers can be hacked together before I actually use Windows 8.

Also, the metro UI sucks. nice for a tablet maybe, but definitely not for a PC. It was way to difficult to actually do anything without being able to touch the interface. I had to use the Win+w shortcut to open the things I needed to (control panel stuff, device manager, etc etc...)

Notebook Evangelist

Quote Originally Posted by banjoeball View Post
    I had the exact same issues. The video drivers are the only thing holding me back from actually using this as a viable OS at this point. I got CCC to install, and overrode the default AMD drivers for the video card. I even got switchable graphics working but it would only switch to intel. Not back to AMD... Also couldn't figure out how to change the screen brightness. The Fn keys wouldn't work and the on-screen options wouldn't either.

So it looks like I'm waiting for whenever the video drivers can be hacked together before I actually use Windows 8.

Also, the metro UI sucks. nice for a tablet maybe, but definitely not for a PC. It was way to difficult to actually do anything without being able to touch the interface. I had to use the Win+w shortcut to open the things I needed to (control panel stuff, device manager, etc etc...)
    Im watching MDL to see if they have more luck with video drivers. I dont need switchable graphics and wouldnt mind having either of them all the time, but my battery died really fast when I had the default drivers.

As for the Metro UI, I like it, but it definitely isnt optimal more trackpads and stuff. I DO like how you can click on the left side of the screen for the last application or hold your mouse on the edge and scroll to switch which one you want to bring in.

I didnt like how the search was harder to get to the settings and stuff when you searched (Default view is apps)
    Envy 14:
    Core i5-450M
    6GB RAM
    160GB SSD
    Radiance Screen

Notebook Evangelist

Quote Originally Posted by banjoeball View Post

1. is there a way to go straight to standard win7 desktop always and pretend like metro ui does not exist?

2. I want windows 8 for the performance improvements, how are you supposed to use metro ui on desktop anyways....... I know boot time is better.. finally.

3. they talked a lot about battery life coming to windows 8, is it real? or when we buy a laptop, the specs says infinite battery life under special conditions of course: laptop is shut down.

ENVY 14 - ATI 5650 // 6630 Drivers (w/ switchable graphics)
    Current: Envy 17 3000
    ..::NEVER EVER RUN REGISTRY CLEANERS::..

Notebook Evangelist

Quote Originally Posted by ironman43 View Post
    1. is there a way to go straight to standard win7 desktop always and pretend like metro ui does not exist?

2. I want windows 8 for the performance improvements, how are you supposed to use metro ui on desktop anyways....... I know boot time is better.. finally.

3. they talked a lot about battery life coming to windows 8, is it real? or when we buy a laptop, the specs says infinite battery life under special conditions of course: laptop is shut down.
    1. Windows 8 Start Menu Toggle by ~Solo-Dev on deviantART
    2. With a mouse and keyboard...
    3. You'll have to wait
    Envy 14:
    Core i5-450M
    6GB RAM
    160GB SSD
    Radiance Screen

Notebook Evangelist

Quote Originally Posted by Mike415 View Post
    2. With a mouse and keyboard...
    3. You'll have to wait
    Now this is what I call a quality answer.

Fellow NBR readers and users, take note!

Notebook Evangelist

Now this is what I call a quality answer.

Fellow NBR readers and users, take note!
    Quality questions receive quality answers
    Envy 14:
    Core i5-450M
    6GB RAM
    160GB SSD
    Radiance Screen

Notebook Evangelist

I am just kidding , on a serious not though, I think HP will provide a set of drivers for the envys for windows 8 as my experience with other laptops was.

Just this guy, you know?

I am just kidding , on a serious not though, I think HP will provide a set of drivers for the envys for windows 8 as my experience with other laptops was.
    Just don't count on them anytime soon - it's still pre-beta, so I wouldn't count on them until the Release Candidate comes out at the earliest.
    "Manny Calavera" (Now my wife's) - Envy 14 - i5-450m, 5650M, 8GB DDR3, 160GB Intel X-25M SSD, Win 7 HP x64, Radiance Display, Slice Battery
    "Grim Fandango" - Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro - Silver - i5-4200UM - 8GB DDR3, 256GB SSD, Win 8.1, 3200x1800
    Desktop - i5-3450, MSI Radeon HD7850 Hawk, 8 GB Kingston HyperX Blue, 128GB Samsung 830 SSD, 2TB WD Caviar Green HDD, CoolerMaster Elite 120 ITX case, AsRock H77M-ITX, CoolerMaster Silent M2 420W, Samsung Blu-Ray reader

Notebook Evangelist

AMD Catalyst™ 11.9 RCx Windows 8 TEST Drivers

Supposed AMD 11.9 drivers for Win8.
    Envy 14:
    Core i5-450M
    6GB RAM
    160GB SSD
    Radiance Screen

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast