Quantcast Envy 14 webcam problems

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Notebook Consultant

Default Envy 14 webcam problems

I've owned the Envy 14 for around 5-6 months now and I never got around to asking this about the webcam. The first Envy I got had a good webcam that could auto adjust to different types of lighting, however I had to RMA that one because of the horrible whine that I'm sure many of you know about. The second Envy I received had a webcam that was just horrible in every aspect. Envy shipped it with a purplish tint in the webcam which I had to fix through the webcam settings and to my dismay I learned that the webcam doesn't even auto adjust to different light settings. I'm sure this is just a software problem, however I never got around to fixing this and have always been adjusting the settings manually to what I perceive to be a good image for that light situation which gets kind of annoying at times because I must pause a call in order to open up the webcam settings and see what settings look best in that lighting situation. Has anyone come across this problem and if you have, have you found a way of fixing this? I'm guessing it is some sort of driver problem, and HP being the way they are has no idea how to fix this. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Notebook Consultant

Default Re: Envy 14 webcam problems

Quote Originally Posted by notebooko View Post
    I'm guessing it is some sort of driver problem, and HP being the way they are has no idea how to fix this.
    Your guess is correct. I had the same problem and it really is a simple fix.
    • Download the Webcam Drivers Here for Vista x86/x64, or Here for Win7 x86/x64.

• Then Use Revo Uninstaller (Its a 30-day trial, but I do recommend buying it, professional or consumer version, it is a gem of a program) to remove the HP Webcam Drivers, and use the Advanced Scanning setting to make sure it gets all the leftover stuff.

• Then re-install the drivers.

• Restart Your computer, and have fun with the webcam!
    HP Envy 14 | i5-450 2.4GHz| 4GB DDR3 1066MHz | 500GB 7200RPM SATA HDD | 1GB ATI 5650m | 14.5" Radiance Display 1600x900

Notebook Consultant

Thank you for the fix! It amazes me that my webcam could have been doing all this, and I haven't even known.

NBR Macro-Mod®

Nicely done. Added link to this thread to first post of Owner's lounge.
    Brand new, secondhand.

Dividing by zero since 1971.

Notebook Guru

I can't even uninstall my Envy is so screwed up.
    Any ideas?
    Also removing items using device manager hangs device manager...I can not scan for new/changed hardware nor remove hardware.

Additionally (unreleated) there's a shut down problem (won't cleanly shut down, BSOD error ultimately, after all services or most are stopped so no real harm but annoying). Then when I unplug my mouse all the USB ports stop and won't recognize anything else being plugged in. Then again, I also have a non working HP Webcam.

Awesome.
    The thing is, it's all probably due to Windows. I highly doubt it's a hardware issue. I should try a Live CD, I don't want to partition my drive. Of course through virtualization, if the host is having driver issues then the guest will too...So that's not a good test.

Seriously frustrated but I love the speed of the Envy.
    Suggestions? Short of a reformat...

NBR Macro-Mod®

You could do what is called an repair upgrade install.

You will need win7 media.

LEGAL Windows 7 Download Links (Just like Vista before!!!)

Here's a guide on how to do it: Repair Install - Windows 7 Forums
    Brand new, secondhand.

Notebook Guru

Default Webcam Not Working

-EDIT sorry this is duplicate. i didn't realize it was the same forum.

Wouldn't you know it, my webcam doesn't work. Two months after I get the computer almost and I never checked during that time. Just never had the need, except for skype the other day.

Drivers are installed for it but Skype nor HP's software recognize it. I tried to uninstall it to reinstall drivers, but it couldn't uninstall. In fact the uninstall wizard is just hanging out in the task bar stuck. I figured it may have something to do with the problems I get when restarting or turning off my computer (BSOD) which I'm now seeing people link to video card drivers (which was one of the first updates I ran when I got my computer) so I'm hoping that's the issue and I can try disabling the driver signing as suggested in the other thread...Crossing my fingers maybe magically that solves everything.

Sigh- I miss Linux. Anyway...does anyone have any ideas? Has anyone else had this problem with their Envy? I'm hoping to avoid a reformat now that I've been using the computer for a few months here and have a ton of software installed. It just takes so much time to backup and restore.

-EDIT sorry this is duplicate. i didn't realize it was the same forum.
    Last edited by tom_m; 2nd February 2011 at 10:56 AM.

Notebook Guru

From another post I saw to disable the driver signature in the advanced boot options. That solved my restart/shutdown problem (which was a BSOD after a very long wait). I still can't do anything in the device manager without it fading to back with a slight white cast as in "I'm screwed, please end my task." Just leaving it there maybe it'll come back, who knows.

Anyway, I'm gonna try this repair after I finish the long download. I hope I don't have to reformat. It's a pain. Though I'm wondering if any of these issues are related. They are all driver issues.

NBR Macro-Mod®

A repair install fixes most problems while leaving most of your setting and all of your folders and programs intact. A few programs like iTunes would need to be reinstalled.

If it doesn't work, it could mean a hardware issue.
    Brand new, secondhand.

Notebook Guru

I never thought those Windows repair things ever actually worked. Maybe Windows 7 is better. Still trying to give it a fair shake and I really would like to use it and not have to go back to Linux full time. I'd rather leave that for VM and justify the i7 CPU trade off for battery life =) so come on lucky Windows....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast