Quantcast Envy 14 + microphone (external & internal)

+ Reply to Thread
    Notebook Enthusiast

Default Envy 14 + microphone (external & internal)

Hey,

I tried to use skype but came to the conclusion that the hp envy 14 doesn't have a build in microphone. I bought a pair of earbuds with a microphone built into them and plugged them into the headset audio jack (the one further away from you) and that doesn't work either. Can someone please help me set this up either with a driver or a set of instructions so I can use my microphone. Thanks

Notebook Evangelist

Default Re: Envy 14 + microphone (external & internal)

I dont have my Envy to go through the exact steps, but go to the Beats Audio program and set the integrated microphone to default for recording.

Or search "sounds" in the Start menu and find the recording part and set the integrated microphone.
    Envy 14:
    Core i5-450M
    6GB RAM
    160GB SSD
    Radiance Screen

Notebook Consultant

Ok. with the envy 14 there are 2 sets of mics that windows 7 picks up. you need to set one as the default and the other as ready, but not to listen to. to do this, go to control panel. go to sound. go to the recording tab. Now, set the "integrated microphone array" as the default device. highlight integrated mic array and go to properties. unclick the "listen to this device" option in the listen tab. make sure the playback though this device says "default playback device". Now for the stereo mix microphone. highlight it and go to properties. unclick the "listen to this device" option in the listen tab. make sure the playback though this device says "default playback device." Also, dont disable either microphone, it just creates havoc on your system.

Now, when you are using skype or gmail phone, make sure you set the microphone device as the "integrated microphone array." after you do this, you are good.

It still doesnt work

Biiiiiiirrrrdmaaaaaaan

well there's also that issue where sometimes the secondary mic jack is more of a "mic/headphones combined jack" and you need some sorta dual adapter to go into it.

though yeah that may not be this issue. And the above guy told you to set the wrong microphone device. The integrated microphone array is the microphone that's built into the envy 14.

You want to setup the headset microphone.
    Envy 14

i5-520m | HD 5650 | 14.5" 1600x900 | 320GB HDD | 2x2GB DDR3 | Win7HP x64

well im trying to use the built-in mic.. i cant seem to work that one. the headset one works fine.

Average Joe

I dug this out of my closet full of junk and have been using it for my in-game mic. I plug it into one of my USB ports and use its mic port.

The Envy DOES have a mic port, but it's a mic/audio port. HP just dropped the ball on this feature.

I'm sure any bargain basement USB sound card with a mic port will do.

Notebook Evangelist

So the typical headset with 2 wires, a headphone and a mic, will not work default on the envy 14?

Then can I use those headphones with 1 wire that combines audio+mic? Like the Beats headphones or Apple headphones?

Notebook Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Frwct1 View Post
    Hey,

I tried to use skype but came to the conclusion that the hp envy 14 doesn't have a build in microphone. I bought a pair of earbuds with a microphone built into them and plugged them into the headset audio jack (the one further away from you) and that doesn't work either. Can someone please help me set this up either with a driver or a set of instructions so I can use my microphone. Thanks
    when i first tried to use skype, my mic didn't work..i had to open the skpe settings and switch on the integrated mic array, after that everything worked fine..