Quantcast Envy owners, HP total care worth it?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Envy owners, HP total care worth it?

Hi all,

did a quick search and couldn't find a specific thread for this for the Envy specifically. I will be buying an hp envy 15 in the upcoming few months, and would like this computer to last ideally 5 years. Unfortunately, HP doesn't seem to have a very good track record, so i was thinking about buying the HP total care for 3 years. Unfortunately, it's not cheap

How many of you purchased HP total care extended warranty for your HP envy? Who here has dealt with them during the extended warranty time, if something bad happens would they replace my laptop with a new or fixed one?

thanks.

Notebook Geek

Default Re: Envy owners, HP total care worth it?

Quote Originally Posted by dmogx View Post
    Hi all,

did a quick search and couldn't find a specific thread for this for the Envy specifically. I will be buying an hp envy 15 in the upcoming few months, and would like this computer to last ideally 5 years. Unfortunately, HP doesn't seem to have a very good track record, so i was thinking about buying the HP total care for 3 years. Unfortunately, it's not cheap

How many of you purchased HP total care extended warranty for your HP envy? Who here has dealt with them during the extended warranty time, if something bad happens would they replace my laptop with a new or fixed one?

thanks.
    I recommend that you consider Squaretrade for the warranty. If you can settle for 2 years of coverage, then Costco has a 2 year Accidental Damage+Lojack warranty for just $100.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Notebook Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Xephon View Post
    I recommend that you consider Squaretrade for the warranty. If you can settle for 2 years of coverage, then Costco has a 2 year Accidental Damage+Lojack warranty for just $100.
    How does this Costco warranty work? You buy online from HP, then go to Costco to buy a warranty? Does this work on any HP laptop?

Notebook Guru

I got the three year total care + warranty on my envy. It was a refurb, so I really wanted to make sure I had good coverage. FWIW, I was able to talk the price down $50 from the website price.

This thread has someone who has had multiple machines with total care+ accident coverage and made claims and had good service, etc.

Notebook Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by ghcmonkey View Post
    How does this Costco warranty work? You buy online from HP, then go to Costco to buy a warranty? Does this work on any HP laptop?
    I purchased the Costco warranty. You have to buy it within 30 days of your laptop's purchase date. It also has to be for a new HP laptop. And you can only order the warranty online; they send you a package in the mail and you activate it on your laptop. Definitely worth it though considering HP asks $270 for that package.

Also, if you use Amex you get an additional year of warranty for free. I think some other credit cards also do this.
    Envy 15 Gen2
    i7 820 | 4GB DDR3 1333 | ATI 1GB 5830 | 2x 160GB Intel SSD | Full HD Anti-Glare Screen

Notebook Geek

Quote Originally Posted by Kabobi View Post
    I purchased the Costco warranty. You have to buy it within 30 days of your laptop's purchase date. It also has to be for a new HP laptop. And you can only order the warranty online; they send you a package in the mail and you activate it on your laptop. Definitely worth it though considering HP asks $270 for that package.

Also, if you use Amex you get an additional year of warranty for free. I think some other credit cards also do this.
    Do you just wait until your laptop arrives or do you activate it before hand?

what is included in the costco warranty?
    The HP total care warranty seems pretty good, as it protects it from drops/spills/surges.

Hypothetically speaking, if i "accidentally" spilled a cup of coffee over it and fried the internals, i should be covered to get a new replacement as long as I am in the extended warranty period. It could mean that you are indirectly buying another 'future' hp laptop for about $350.

Old School

I take it you have to be a CostCo member though? It'd cost an additional $50 membership on top of their warranty then to join right? Anyone have a link to where you can sign up? I don't see it on their website. Does it cover accidental damage? That's what I'm most concerned about.

SquareTrade will cost you $399 if you want accidental damage protection. Steep price IMHO.

edit: Here it is I think: http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...cidental&Nty=1

I might have to do this. $100 for 2 years of accidental coverage is more than worth it.

No membership required. Only $5 surcharge for non-members. Do you have to get the package installed within 30 days of receiving your laptop or only buy it within 30 days? Because if I buy it now, I am at day 24, and they say it takes 7-10 days to get the package.

edit edit: Just bought it. Can't pass up $111.29 for two years with accidental damage. I repaired my Sager myself from a small spill. Just the keyboard and trackpad alone cost me over $100.
    Last edited by HTWingNut; 13th August 2010 at 02:21 AM.

LATEST REVIEWS: NEW! --> Sager NP8651 / Clevo P650SE 970m | MSI GS60 970m | Sager NP9377 980m SLI | MSI GT72 GTX 980m
    Reviews: Sager: NP7338 W230SS 860m | NP9377 P375SM 880m SLI | NP8268 P150SM-A 880m | other Sager/Clevo // Other: Blade 14 870m | Aorus X7 | Other Reviews
    Sager NP7338 'Serenity': 13.3" 1080p IPS Matte i7-4810MQ GTX 860m 16GB 2133 256GB Plextor M5M + 960GB M500 Intel 7260 802.11AC Win 8.1

Notebook Guru

The Costco deal definitely seems worth it. If you buy the notebook with AMEX, does that extend the warranty to 3 years? Or is the warranty extension only on the manufacturer's warranty?

Notebook Evangelist

Quote Originally Posted by htwingnut View Post
    I take it you have to be a CostCo member though? It'd cost an additional $50 membership on top of their warranty then to join right? Anyone have a link to where you can sign up? I don't see it on their website. Does it cover accidental damage? That's what I'm most concerned about.

SquareTrade will cost you $399 if you want accidental damage protection. Steep price IMHO.

edit: Here it is I think: Costco - HP 2-Year Accidental Damage Protection and Computrace LoJack for Laptops

I might have to do this. $100 for 2 years of accidental coverage is more than worth it.

No membership required. Only $5 surcharge for non-members. Do you have to get the package installed within 30 days of receiving your laptop or only buy it within 30 days? Because if I buy it now, I am at day 24, and they say it takes 7-10 days to get the package.

edit edit: Just bought it. Can't pass up $111.29 for two years with accidental damage. I repaired my Sager myself from a small spill. Just the keyboard and trackpad alone cost me over $100.
    Is it within 30 days of purchasing it or receiving it?

edit: Ordered it. Used my parents costco account. 106.99 shipped
    Last edited by asdad123; 13th August 2010 at 08:35 AM.
    Portable: Asus G46VW -Upgraded- 3610qm, 256gb crucial M4 mSATA, 750gb HDD, 8gb ram, GTX660m
    Home: i5 3570k@4.3Ghz, 16gb 1600mhz ram, 256gb crucial M4, 2TB HDD, AMD 7950

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast