Quantcast E14 : Trackpad Discussion Only

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 83 123451151 ... LastLast
    Notebook Guru

Default E14 : Trackpad Discussion Only

Configuration by JJB
    *HP ENVY 14 (1XXX series) Owners Lounge, Part 1*

Trackpad and hands interfere with each other significantly and PalmCheck isn't perfect while you're typing. Solved with TouchFreeze:
    TouchFreeze-1.0.2.msi - Project Hosting on Google Code - submitted by poster ColdHeat
    http://code.google.com/p/touchfreeze...2.msi&can=2&q=

Still the problem of right clicking? Solved by using Two Finger Scroll: Project Hosting on Google Code - submitted by poster ColdHeat
    two-finger-scroll - Project Hosting on Google Code
    I've read through countless posts about trackpad issues and read through all of the tutorials on how to fix it, but none of them work for me. I really like this laptop except for the trackpad. I work a lot from the road, so that part of the computer is very important to me.

I'm working from a clean install (Corsair 256SSD from NewEgg).
    All drivers up to date according to Windows Update.
    Synaptics Clickpad v7.4
    Driver version 15.0.17.4

The most annoying part is when I need to drag a folder or file from one place to another. As soon as I put two fingers on the trackpad (one to hold down the left mouse button and one to drag the folder) it freaks out and for the most part freezes on the screen until I remove one of my fingers. I have tried disabling various settings that I felt would hinder this, but nothing seems to work. I have also tried installing the suggested utilities (two finger scroll, etc.), but none of them have an affect on this issue.

Has anyone experienced this or found a way around it?

I'm coming from a unibody Mac Book Pro which has undoubtedly the best trackpad ever placed on a laptop, so I have high expectations.

thanks,
    -brit

THREAD SUMMARY by JoeWasEre October 2010 update.

Thread Summary:

Skipping/jumping issues under default trackpad settings. Two-finger scrolling jumps. Drag-and-drop issues.

Some variables under Control Panel> Hardware and Sound> Mouse> Device Settings tab> Settings are really worth playing with to improve things, but the above issues still occur. For the solutions below, it's worth disabling the corresponding Control Panel settings so there's no doubling up.

So... here are the solutions so far:

kamarge improved the twofingerscroll program here (page 14)
    This is really simple to use, and improves two-finger scrolling dramatically (smoother), adds more tapping options, and means you no longer need to use the Buttons (although you can still have them enabled).

Friendly0Fire posted the clickpad e14 "driver" here (page 17), updated here (page 38)
    This improves two-finger scrolling, and adds a smooth momentum effect when you scroll+flick (adjustable settings too). Different drag-and-drop features, and again vastly improves the skipping cursor issues.

reil first posted envy TouchPad here (page 19), now HERE (MediaFire link) (+ you might need this) This runs beautifully.
    Works well alongside the stock Synaptics settings (although you should still disable any corresponding settings in Control Panel to let envy TouchPad take over the functions you want. Thanks hummer2023). This is easy to use, super smooth, nice momentum settings at high speed, flexible 1, 2 and 3 finger tap and scroll options.

All three of these options work well with the Paradisoft Touchpad Locker (lock the touchpad while typing). Thanks to dexta and Bronsky for contributing.

I've used all three solutions and they all work well. I've settled on reil's envy TouchPad program because it corrects the skipping issues, has smooth two-finger scrolling at high speed, and you can still keep some of the original Synaptics features (e.g. three-finger options, double-tap TouchPad Disable Zone workaround. Thanks sasjegbruv123)

Settings I've gone for in reil's envy TouchPad:
    Speed 160,
    Maximum Z threshold: 255 (maximum, means two-finger scrolling responds well/doesn't skip)
    Delta ratio threshold: 0 (minimum, means two-finger scrolling works for horizontal and vertical scrolling at the same time, which I like)
    Inertial Duration: 500 (nice scroll fade, looks sweet)
    Tapping: Initially I disabled 1-finger tapping and kept the stock (Synaptics) Tapping settings switched on to keep the Envy's TouchPad Disable Zone working. [Edit: Turns out this registers a 1-finger click when you perform a 2-finger tap, so I've gone for all-out envy TouchPad settings for tapping.]

@reil; Maybe call Delta ratio threshold "AND/OR Horizontal-Vertical scrolling". Maximum Z threshold could be "Scrolling catchiness"
    http://www.OctaneMedia.com - Motorsports Web Design

Dell XPS13 - Win8 CP

Biiiiiiirrrrdmaaaaaaan

Default Re: E14 : Trackpad Discussion Only

with the latest drivers the buttons at the bottom actually have a deadzone.

it's not properly aligned, but there is a deadzone

like from the bottom to about halfway up to the line is the deadzone. So you can left click with one hand and still drag around with your right hand.
    Envy 14

i5-520m | HD 5650 | 14.5" 1600x900 | 320GB HDD | 2x2GB DDR3 | Win7HP x64

Notebook Guru

It's somewhat ironic that I try to buy the best laptop I can find and it comes with trackpad drivers that have major problems. You would think that trackpad companies would have this worked out by now.

I tried the two hand drag and it does work better, but still has problems. I think it is dependent on how close your fingers are to each other when you start the drag. It seems that the further apart my fingers (one holding down button, other positioned to drag item) are the better it works. Two fingers is just way too confusing for this trackpad.

Dell XPS13 - Win8 CP

Biiiiiiirrrrdmaaaaaaan

you'd think they'd have it worked out, but nope.

*shrugs*
    Envy 14

Notebook Evangelist

i thought there was an app that someone found and it made the touchpad incredable?
    Owner of an HP Envy 14~
    i5-450m,4 gigs ram, 500GB HDD 7200rpm, Radiance Dispaly (1600x900), ATI 5650 GPU.

Notebook Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Justos View Post
    i thought there was an app that someone found and it made the touchpad incredable?
    I would love to find such an app. Please let me know if you run across it again.

Dell XPS13 - Win8 CP

Notebook Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by MagusDraco View Post
    with the latest drivers the buttons at the bottom actually have a deadzone.

it's not properly aligned, but there is a deadzone

like from the bottom to about halfway up to the line is the deadzone. So you can left click with one hand and still drag around with your right hand.
    What version/date is the latest drivers? Did you get it via HP or Windows update?

Notebook Evangelist

Quote Originally Posted by Justos View Post
    Theres some 2 finger scroll Google Code I think people are using.
    Envy 14:
    Core i5-450M
    6GB RAM
    160GB SSD
    Radiance Screen

Notebook Evangelist

Quote Originally Posted by Mike415 View Post
    Theres some 2 finger scroll Google Code I think people are using.
    it was talked about in the first thread.
    Owner of an HP Envy 14~
    i5-450m,4 gigs ram, 500GB HDD 7200rpm, Radiance Dispaly (1600x900), ATI 5650 GPU.

Biiiiiiirrrrdmaaaaaaan

Quote Originally Posted by nexus14 View Post
    What version/date is the latest drivers? Did you get it via HP or Windows update?
    Synaptics Clickpad v7.4
    Driver version 15.0.17.4

those guys, 5/27/2010 or something.

the thing from googlecode is two-finger-scroll - Project Hosting on Google Code
    Envy 14

Page 1 of 83 123451151 ... LastLast