Quantcast *HP ENVY 14 (1XXX series) Owners Lounge, Part 1* - Page 700

Closed Thread
Page 700 of 1000 FirstFirst ... 200600650690696697698699700701702703704710750800 ... LastLast
Results 6,991 to 7,000 of 9999
    Notebook Evangelist

Default re: *HP ENVY 14 (1XXX series) Owners Lounge, Part 1*

When I put my windows cd in, do I just run the setup, or do i boot from that CD? because going though that setup doesnt let me erase the other partitions....

HP Envy 14 - core i5 450m, 4gigs of ram, Radeon HD5650 switchable, 320gb hd.

Notebook Evangelist

Quote Originally Posted by inm8#2 View Post
    Does anyone have plans to replace the ODD with another HDD? Is that even possible?
    One guy said he would but I guess since he's not from the US he can't get his until later. But he said he'd post a detailed guide which I'm waiting for.

Maybe someone else will post a guide cause I really want to install a 750gb hdd.

Notebook Geek

Quote Originally Posted by LiTh07 View Post
    When I put my windows cd in, do I just run the setup, or do i boot from that CD? because going though that setup doesnt let me erase the other partitions....
    Well, first, have you checked out this thread? I'm assuming you have already; if you havn't, do so and back up the important stuff it tells you to. Then proceed with installing a fresh copy of W7.

When you're ready to install Windows, boot from the CD and it's pretty straightforward.
    Desktop: W7 Pro X64 | Intel e8500 c0 oc'd: 4009 mhz | 4gb DDR2-1000 | 1 750 Gb HDD, 2 1 Tb HDD's | Radeon HD4870x2 | Westinghouse 37" 1080p Display | Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty, Logitech Z-5500 Speakers
    Laptop: HP Envy 14: Intel Core i5-520m | 4gb DDR3 | 160gb Intel X-25m G2 SSD | Radeon HD 5650 1 GB | 1600x900 Radiance display

Notebook Evangelist

Quote Originally Posted by pdissel View Post
    Mine has already froze on me 4 times in less than 24 hours. Most of it revolves around switching the graphics. The first time I switched to the ATI GPU it locked up, and most of the time I return it from putting it to sleep, it locks up and I have to hard reset, then when I get it to windows, the switchable graphics don't work.

I already planned on returning this one since I have a 30% BCB one coming, but now I'm second guessing this. Anyone else had any of these problems?
    Wow, that sucks!

Notebook Evangelist

thanks harb. Yea I am following that thread, but it doesnt say to boot from CD lol

HP Envy 14 - core i5 450m, 4gigs of ram, Radeon HD5650 switchable, 320gb hd.

Notebook Consultant

Question- when reinstalling windows 7, do I wipe out all the partitions? C, Recovery (D) and HP_tools (E)?
    If you have the Recovery DVDs and they work, wiping out Recovery partition will be fine. I am not sure what exactly is stored on the HP_tools directory, but probably nothing you cannot get from the HP website.

To do a clean install of Windows:
    1. Create the recovery disk, if there is an option, verify the disks after burn
    2. Backup the drivers directory (probably C:\SWSetup) to flash, external HDD, or optical media
    3. Boot the first DVD/CD
    4. Follow on screen guide

Windows should allow you to reinstall while moving the old windows install to C:\windows_old or something like that. If this is your first time, this may be a good idea so you still have everything that was installed before, however it is probably impossible to revert back to that image without booting into a different CD, like a linux live CD, and even then I am not sure if it is possible. To really do a clean install you will want to reformat the partition, and possibly remove the recovery partitions. Since an install only takes an hour or so, I would recommend installing once without a reformat or removing the partitions. If that is successful, then do it again, completely cleaning the system. This will give you the assurance that the install _should_ work.

e14
    Notebook Evangelist

its better to have your OS on its own partition seperate from your data so that if you need to reinstall then you can format it and clean install while your data remains safe instead of having to pick apart your whole drive and save things off out of it, and hoping you didnt forget to save anything that was mixed in with the OS before you formatted it. C windows, D data = better.

Notebook Geek

Quote Originally Posted by inm8#2 View Post
    Does anyone have plans to replace the ODD with another HDD? Is that even possible?
    That's high on my to-do list. I'd love to swap a 500 or 640gb drive in place of the ODD, and as soon as I get the 14 set up the way I like it and get comfortable with it, I'll start doing the research to figure out what I need for the ODD->HDD swap. If nobody else has a guide up by then I'll post one as I go along, but I can't make any estimates on when it will be other than "not yet".
    Last edited by Harb67; 16th July 2010 at 02:24 PM.
    Desktop: W7 Pro X64 | Intel e8500 c0 oc'd: 4009 mhz | 4gb DDR2-1000 | 1 750 Gb HDD, 2 1 Tb HDD's | Radeon HD4870x2 | Westinghouse 37" 1080p Display | Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty, Logitech Z-5500 Speakers
    Laptop: HP Envy 14: Intel Core i5-520m | 4gb DDR3 | 160gb Intel X-25m G2 SSD | Radeon HD 5650 1 GB | 1600x900 Radiance display

Notebook Consultant

ok after further inspection, I can only hear the idle processor whine when I put my ear an inch from the keyboard. It really isnt a big deal to me. I will try some of those sound tweaks once I reinstall windows, if the recovery discs would ever finish
    Can you tell me if your fans turn off completely. I set mine in passive mode and they are still on.

Notebook Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by Harb67 View Post
    Hah! I'm the same way. I hadn't even turned the thing on before I had it upside down with the entire underside off and the battery/SSD pulled. I love poking around inside computers

What do you want to see? Lucky for you guys, I'm at work doing nothing but playing with the E14 and brought my digital camera along Only thing is I'm currently burning recovery discs (TAKES FOREVER) so I can't go flipping it over and taking it apart right now.
    Just go crazy with the pictures! lol