Thread: *HP ENVY 17 & 17 3D (1XXX series) Owners Lounge*

Notebook Consultant

Default Re: *OFFICIAL: HP Envy 17 Owners Lounge!*

@mobilezila

I just PMed you.

Notebook Consultant

A Couple Comments:

1) On the topic of Jaxxy's laptop noise not heard/hearable by the middle-aged (like me), have you attempted to record the noise with the internal or a plugin microphone?

Common Sound Editors and even an Audio visualization for VLC media Player display spectral graphs of the sound. What can't be heard might be seen.

2) Nohm's comment about Nvidia GPU reballing etc. made me smile. I am typing this message on an HP dv9700. The gpu beeped dead three weeks ago, exactly two years after I bought it. I ordered the Envy 17 (with service contract this time) because I don't have time for second guessing repairs. I am gambling, perhaps wrongly, that lightning doesn't strike twice, given the different gpu and marketed design capabilities of the Envy.

It's all about the time. I've modded or built my PCs since my first (the first) Compaq Portable, but I don't want to spend my time on this box. Once I decided to order the Envy (with a free drive bay to load the data from my two drives on the dv9700) I decided--what the heck--wrap the offending machine in a wool blanket (with power cord, but minus battery and hard drives) and let it cook for its sins for an hour, just to see what happens. As with other users, my laptop came back to life for a week and then failed. So I did it again--good for ten days so far.

After/If the Envy arrives and the hassle of data transfer is over, I will donate the dv9700 with all but the hard drives to a local non-profit computer recycle center/store/training group (FreeGeek.org). I'll include references to the Nvidia issue, the overheating/reflowing/reballing fixes and efficacy and let someone else enjoy the rebuild possibilities. The project would have been fun when I was twenty.

3) On the topic of backups, I've been comparing costs for 1.5 TB drives plus a USB 3.0 hard drive dock against DVD and DVD DL disks and the drive plus dock approach comes out cheaper in dollars and faster in transfer time by a large amount--oh yes, shelf space too. Hard Drive MTBF may be exaggerated (see dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=6404), but DVD/DL media are not archival either. The lower usage hours of backup hard drives, combined with SMART -data analysis can provide some warnings for copying to new media that DVD/DL disks cannot. The Envy's USB 3.0 port makes this approach my plan for now.

Au Re: *OFFICIAL: HP Envy 17 Owners Lounge!*

OK - I am wondering if my super hot temp for my laptop is being caused because I am using the Intel OverClock app they provide with the laptop.

I am wondering if I should log a call with HP & see if this is a warrantable issue.

Hey Jaxxie - have you left the Intel overclocking app run when you were gaming?

Notebook Enthusiast

Has anyone noticed any cases and/or accessories for the envy? I know it's really early but I'd like to keep my computer as scratch free as possible and make sure I got a good air vent! I want to take care of this one heat wise because my last hp got hot one day and never worked again! Research online led me to believe it was a motherboard issue and far too expensive to fix. So now it's just collecting dust.

Notebook Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by c@esar View Post
    OK - I am wondering if my super hot temp for my laptop is being caused because I am using the Intel OverClock app they provide with the laptop.

I am wondering if I should log a call with HP & see if this is a warrantable issue.

Hey Jaxxie - have you left the Intel overclocking app run when you were gaming?
    Which one? I only Intel app i have installed is the Intel Inside app which seems to be just a splash screen with the Intel logo and a button to open Resource Monitor. I don't see any options to overclock.

@Benny, I tried recording with my phone, but it doesn't pick it up, I think there's just too much background noise. I'll try again with an external mic, thanks for the idea.

To the poster that suggested that my sound issue maybe related to wifi/screen brightness. The sound actually disappears when I turn wifi ON, and comes back around 10 seconds after I turn it OFF.

Notebook Evangelist

To the person with the whine. it sounds like the CPU whine Core2Duos get. Playing with the C states helped mine.

Notebook Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by Mike415 View Post
    To the person with the whine. it sounds like the CPU whine Core2Duos get. Playing with the C states helped mine.
    Cool, how do I play with the C states? Couldn't see anything in the BIOS.

I took the laptop into a quieter room to see what it sounds like and the issue did not occur. I had the power plugged in but no ethernet, so it may be related to the ethernet somehow. I enabled wifi but it made no difference.

Notebook Evangelist

Quote Originally Posted by jaxxy View Post
    Cool, how do I play with the C states? Couldn't see anything in the BIOS.

I took the laptop into a quieter room to see what it sounds like and the issue did not occur. I had the power plugged in but no ethernet, so it may be related to the ethernet somehow. I enabled wifi but it made no difference.
    If its that the noise should go away when the processor is in use, and come back when the CPU is idle.

Google RMclock (program I use to lower mine) and CPU whine or something like that

I also use it to save power and keep my laptop cooler by using the Performance on demand profile. Normally my laptop idles at 70C and wth RMclock and power on demand it idles closer to 50-55.

Notebook Consultant

Thanks Mike I'll check those out.

You know, apart from these issues I've had with this laptop, I'm pretty happy with it. My only real gripe with it is that all the cables plug in on the left hand side, and very close to the front of the laptop. I use the mouse in my left hand so I have to have the mouse farther away from the laptop than I would like. The other thing is that it's huge, I want to use an external keyboard and keep the screen closed, but my desk hardly has space for a keyboard AND the laptop...this is a personal gripe and not really a fault per se.

Notebook Consultant

Au Re: *OFFICIAL: HP Envy 17 Owners Lounge!*

Adding another temperature screenshot, this time idling with nothing open except for HWMonitor. The reason some temps are higher than the minimum is because Norton's scan/background tasks kept kicking in and I had to move the mouse to stop it, sometimes I didn't catch it quick enough.