Quantcast 6 cell battery vs 12 cell battery

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Notebook Consultant

Default 6 cell battery vs 12 cell battery

Hello all. I like the idea of the longer life of the 12 cell, but don't like the idea of it sticking out all the time. I use the laptop on my lap quite a bit and imagine that could be quite uncomfortable.

Was thinking of maybe getting a 6 cell and a 12 cell, that way I could use the 12 cell during times when I know I will be at a table or desk. However, on the HP customize site, there doesn't seem to be an option to buy one of each. The options seem to be for either 2 6-cells or 2 12-cells. Can anyone confirm?

Lastly, I've never changed a laptop battery before. Exactly how hard/easy is this? It seems like it would be easier with the 12 cell, since it sticks out. With the 6 cell, is there any unscrewing involved? How difficult would it be to change if I were in class and suddenly needed to change it?
    HP Pavillion DV9310
    AMD Turion 64
    Windows Vista
    NVIDIA GeForce 6150
    1 GB

Tim
    Notebook Virtuoso

Default Re: 6 cell battery vs 12 cell battery

I have the 12 cell battery on my Compaq v4000t. I love the battery life. I can get about 4hrs while surfing the web, listening to music and chatting.

I use the laptop on my lap a lot. It does not bug me that the battery sticks out. It is actually kind of nice because the battery rests on my legs so I don't block the fan.

It is also nice to have the 12 cell when you use it on a desk since more air can flow underneath your laptop.

The only downside is that the bigger batter makes the laptop a little heavier. However I think it is worth it.
    Tim

Notebook Consultant

thanks, and what about the mechanics of changing the battery?
    HP Pavillion DV9310
    AMD Turion 64
    Windows Vista
    NVIDIA GeForce 6150
    1 GB

Notebook Enthusiast

It's normally very straightforward. Normally there's a latch or switch you push and the battery will release. It's on the bottom, and usually in the back, though that depends on the model. You should consult your manual and see where the battery compartment is for exact details, but it's a VERY simple precedure.

Tim
    Notebook Virtuoso

Yeah like GEWbert said the battery has a sliding latch. The battery is simple to put in and out.

Oh and one other thing I like about the 12 cell is that it is easier to carry the laptop by holding onto the part of the battery that sticks out. It is hard to explain but the battery kind of acts like a grip to hold onto.
    Tim

Notebook Consultant

Its kind of link changing a cell phone battery... just a lot bigger.

Notebook Consultant

Anyone know whether the major electronic stores carry laptops with a 12 cell? I'd kinda like to see one up close.
    HP Pavillion DV9310
    AMD Turion 64
    Windows Vista
    NVIDIA GeForce 6150
    1 GB

Tim
    Notebook Virtuoso

Most electronic stores do not have the batteries in the display models. Check HPs website. You might be able to see a pic there.
    Tim

Notebook Geek

The bulge is worth it, I would get 6 hours on my DV1000 when the battery was new, I still get nearly 5 after nearly 2 years of use.

ZaZ
    Super Model

For what it is worth a just got the dv6000z for review with the 12 cell battery. I like the extra battery life and typing on it when it is on a desktop is nice because it is raised up, but I dislike using it on my lap. Most of the weight of the notebook rests on where the notebook touches you legs which made it uncomfortable for me. I find myself sticking a pillow underneath to alleviate the problem. My 2¢ anyway,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast