Quantcast HP Care Package (warranty) worth it?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Notebook Consultant

Default HP Care Package (warranty) worth it?

Is the 2-year HP Care Package (accidental damage warranty/etc) worth it for $160USD?

How's the experience with HP as far as repairs/replacements go? I don't really feel like paying for the HP Care Package if I have to end up jumping through hoops with HP support to get my laptop repaired/fixed.

Dell also offers a similar warranty package that covers accidental damage and things like that. From what I heard, Dell gives pretty good customer support, and if your laptop is too badly damaged, then Dell will even send you a completely new laptop.

Anyone care to comment?

Notebook Evangelist

Default Re: HP Care Package (warranty) worth it?

Just my opinion, but I would imagine that a CarePack is worth the cost, only depending upon the investment you made into your new purchase. Me?.. I shelled-out $2500.00USD for my Pavilion (before coupon). So yes - I'd definitely say it was a wise investment on my part. Now if I was purchasing anything lower than $900.00 - then no. I would probably fore go it altogether.

But keep in mind that a CarePack is sort of like insurance. You hope like holy hell that you never are in a situation where you need it. But the peace of mind is always nice. Though as with any insurance, you can pretty much expect a fight of some sort. Companies aren't just going to sit back and let their customers take them for a ride. They do not want to pay if they do not have to. HP produces some quality products, IMO. I've dealt with their repair services before. Never had to send anything back, though they did send me "customer replaceable" parts on in warranty items that have been in need. No hassles, I thought. Like anything else, it just depends on who you are dealing with and their mood, at the time - not necessarily the company in general. I do not think either HP nor Dell have any policies in place that spell out screwing over their customers on purpose over warranty work.
    HP dv6tqe-6000 | i7-2820QM | Radeon HD 6770M 1G GDDR5 | 8GB DDR3 | 160GB SSD | Blu-ray writer & SuperMulti DVD burner | Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit |

Notebook Consultant

Be sure to get the accidental damage coverage, HP is notorious for using the excuse that you caused the damage and deny the repair even when it is under a regular warranty, this coverage will negate that excuse, they have to fix it now.

Go for 3 years with accidental damage.

Notebook Guru

I got a 2 year care package for free with my purchase thanks to an advertising error.

Talk to a case manager, maybe you can get one too.

I have the 3yr care pack with the Envy 14 in Nov '10 and I think it's worth it. Here is why I feel the care pack is a must have.
    Feb '11 - The LCD panel started flaking out. HP replaced it.
    June '11 - the laptop started powering off without warning. HP attempted to fix it and failed. So, laptop went back.
    July '11 - the laptop went back for the powering off issue (mobo). HP supposedly has fixed it and sending it back. We'll see.
    As you can see, I've exercised the warranty 3x within 6 months on HP's top of the line Envy. I need to make sure I can get get stuff fixed after initial warranty expires.

I will say... DO NOT (DON'T EVER) waste your money on HP's on-site support. It's not worth the weight the contract is printed on. I had a Dell before and on-site support was awesome (a tech came to work multiple times to replace the mobo, lcd, and again the mobo). Each job took no more than 15mins start to finish. On that premise, I (foolishly - now looking back) bought HP's on-site support. HP's on-site support is absolutely useless. They took my money and my on-site support experience so far...
    1) When the LCD panel went, HP insisted I ship it back (10 DAYS DOWNTIME).
    2) First powering off issue, HP again insisted I ship it back (14 DAYS DOWNTIME).
    3) Second powering off issue, HP again insisted I ship it back (14 DAYS DOWNTIME).

I am going to ask what can HP actually do with the on-site support, because if they tell me they can replace the battery for me... I'll ask for my money back. Totally misleading in how they sell the benefits of on-site support and turns out to be not only waste of money, but 1,350 productivity hours lost due to downtime (thus far).

If you buy HP, def buy the extended warranty. Or... buy from someone else who can fulfill their obligations. Don't get me wrong.. the ENVY is a very nice laptop. Personally, my experience has been subpar. Perhaps I'm a corner case and I don't doubt that. Looking back, I probably would have gotten another brand - just because the lacking support experience totally drags the laptop (regardless of performance) and HP's name to a brand I'll have to think twice before buying again.

Sorry for the long rant... though I think it's important for folks to hear about the good (care packs are worth it) and the bad (the support experience, if you're unluckily like me, can be below average).

Notebook Enthusiast

I have dealt with many HP's for last 8 years and have never had an issue that needed the warranty. I personally wouldn't spend the money on the care package.

Notebook Evangelist

Stories like this make me feel like getting a Mac. At least I can go to my nearest Apple Store (20 min) and get it replaced easily. If something really bad happens then I can ship it and get it back within 1 week. Or so I heard.

I just bought the new Envy 14 + 2 yr accidental warranty. *Crosses fingers*

Kuu
    That Quiet Person

Most problems that happen with a notebook can be fixed by yourself for cheaper that what most warranties run, it's just a matter of whether or not you have the time to fix an issue should something come up.

Note I said most.

I ended up voiding my warranty to repaste the CPU and GPU, and that was the end of 2009, haven't had any issues yet s:

Company Representative

Hi lithium1330,

I came across your post and I want to insure your HP Envy was repaired. I work for HP and would like to review your experience. If your case hasn't been resolved please email me at psgsocialmedia@hp.com with your contact and product information. Please inlcude in the subject line Attn: Veronica-NBR

"The views expressed in my contributions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views and strategy of HP"

lithium1330, I also work for HP and find your experience to be far from the norm. If you bought onsite support you tell them you want someone to come onsite to fix, it should never be a problem. That's what I do all day long, drive around to businesses and even customer's homes to fix the HP equipment. I can't say that you won't be jumping through hoops in the troubleshooting they request of you. But all that troubleshooting helps to get the correct part ordered the first time.

If you want PM me your model and serial number and I can verify that on-site support is tied to your serial number. Sometimes the extended warranties don't get registered properly and the agent you speak to doesn't know you purchased on-site service. Or if you are talking to Veronica in the post above she could also verify this for you.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast