Quantcast laptop with wiped hard drive, need help adding operating system

Closed Thread

Default laptop with wiped hard drive, need help adding operating system

I purchased a used compaq evo n610c laptop from ebay. They said the hard drive has been wiped. How do I go about putting an operating system on it? It says it was designed for microsoft windows 2000 professional, if that matters. Do I need to get a new hard drive put in or can I just get software and put in the operating system myself?

Quaggan's Creed Redux!

Default Re: laptop with wiped hard drive, need help adding operating system

Quote Originally Posted by padparadscha View Post
    I purchased a used compaq evo n610c laptop from ebay. They said the hard drive has been wiped. How do I go about putting an operating system on it? It says it was designed for microsoft windows 2000 professional, if that matters. Do I need to get a new hard drive put in or can I just get software and put in the operating system myself?
    No you just need to a copy of an OS that has a valid CD-Key and install it on the clean drive. Boot from the CD first and follow the directions. Also, you don't need Windows 2000 Pro as it says (that OS is ancient and outdated, even though some companies STILL use it). You can prolly pick up a cheap copy of XP somewhere and install XP (which to this day is still good).

Star Citizen Rig: i7-2700K (4.5 GHZ) - 16 GB Kingston DDR3-1600 HyperX - eVGA GeForce Titan SC 2x SLI - Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD 2x - 3 TB WD Caviar Drives - Corsair Carbide 350R
    Addendums: Roccat Kone XTD - Logitech G710+ MX Browns- Audio Technica ATH-M50 - Dell UltraSharp U2312HM/U2212HM - Bose Companion 2 Series III Speakers - LG G2

Thank-you so much!!! I was wondering if I could do that but wasn't sure. I've never done it before and wanted to find out before I bought one. Thanks again!!

NBR Macro-Mod®

You're also going to need drivers. You'll have to google most of those.

When the OS is set up and you get (!) next to things that need a driver in device manager, simply right click that device, select properties, and the details tab. In the dropdown box, select hardware ids. Copy the hardware ID and Google that on the web to find what it is,who makes the subsystem, and then find what driver you need with that info.
    Brand new, secondhand.

Dividing by zero since 1971.

KLF
    NBR Super Modernator

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack scouts on fire off the shoulder of Well6. I watched sentryguns glitter in the dark near the 2fort4 gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.