Quantcast How to Format my HP Laptop?

Closed Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Notebook Guru
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    65
    Rep Power
    15

    Default How to Format my HP Laptop?

    Hello everyone, first of all I apologize if i am posting in the incorrect Section but i don't where to go to

    Ok.. here's my problem

    Today i was using my HP Pavilion dv5 Laptop(Windows-Vista H.P 32-bit) at my Uni, when all of a sudden my Applications started to freeze one-by-one.. i thought it was a mere Program error that was causing it so i started Windows Task manager, and then suddenly it Froze too! next thing.. my mouse also! everything just stopped functioning

    i forced Shutdown it and then turned it on again.. then.. after a minute again my apps started to freeze again.. one-by-one.. tried it again.. same result

    i tried Safe-mode.. and it worked perfectly.. but i can't figure out the cause of the constant freeze..

    nothing like this ever happened before since i purchased my Laptop a year ago...

    so i am deciding to Format my Laptop.. but i don't know how. Can someone explain how to Format my laptop please, i heard that there is some kind of memory in the laptop that has the Drivers and everything so i'm kinda guessing i won't need a CD or anything(..right?)

    any Help will be greatly Appreciated

  2. #2
    yay
    yay is offline
    Notebook Consultant
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    155
    Rep Power
    13

    Default Re: How to Format my HP Laptop?

    I see that you are going to school. Are you aware that if you reformat your computer you will lose all data on it? If you are going to reformat, make sure you retireve all of your data before you go any further.

  3. #3
    Notebook Consultant
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    250
    Rep Power
    21

    Default Re: How to Format my HP Laptop?

    Like yay said, first back up all your data.. after you are sure that all important files are secured, restart your computer and press f11 when the HP logo screen comes up. After that it will be straight forward just follow the steps and options that will come up so you can format the computer.
    RIP- HP DV2125NR AMD Turion X2 1.6Ghz, 4GB RAM, 120GB HD 5400rpm, NVIDIA GeForce Go 6150

  4. #4
    Notebook Evangelist
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Newport News, Virginia
    Posts
    626
    Rep Power
    19

    Default Re: How to Format my HP Laptop?

    Before you format, are you making sure that your computer has proper ventalation? I know that system crashes can be caused by the computer overheating. Clean out your fan(s) and vent(s) and ensure that your computer is receiving proper airflow. If the system still acts up, then proceed with the format.

    God, I feel so dirty now for saying system crash. *begins to scrub furiously*
    MacBook Pro 17" (Torako)
    Dell Precision M4500 (Sinon)
    Mid-2014 Haswell Desktop (Megumi)
    Late-2014 Kabini Desktop (Mako)
    ExSig

  5. #5
    Notebook Deity
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,943
    Rep Power
    27

    Default Re: How to Format my HP Laptop?

    Have you loaded any new programs lately? If it works well in Safe Mode then you probably got an aberrant program running in the background causing the erratic freezing. Clean install by using the Recovery disc.

  6. #6
    Notebook Guru
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    65
    Rep Power
    15

    Default Re: How to Format my HP Laptop?

    Quote Originally Posted by f15hp View Post
    restart your computer and press f11 when the HP logo screen comes up. After that it will be straight forward just follow the steps and options that will come up so you can format the computer.
    Thank you For the replies

    No worries, i have already backed up all my files on my Backup Computer

    but i still have a question, will i need any discs to complete the format or are all the main Recovery files(Drivers, progs etc...) on the Laptop?(A.K.A Recovery Drive)

    Quote Originally Posted by datamonger128 View Post
    Before you format, are you making sure that your computer has proper ventalation?
    Yes i've doubled checked the Vents and everything seems to be working fine, i have even checked my Cooling pad just in case

    Quote Originally Posted by kanehi View Post
    Have you loaded any new programs lately? If it works well in Safe Mode then you probably got an aberrant program running in the background causing the erratic freezing. Clean install by using the Recovery disc.
    No, i haven't installed any new Programs of any sort before this incident occurred =(

  7. #7
    Notebook Deity
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    San Jose, CA USA
    Posts
    1,095
    Rep Power
    23

    Default Re: How to Format my HP Laptop?

    Quote Originally Posted by Raficoo View Post
    but i still have a question, will i need any discs to complete the format or are all the main Recovery files(Drivers, progs etc...) on the Laptop?(A.K.A Recovery Drive)
    As long as the recovery partition still exists you won't need any additional discs. Just hit F11 during boot as mentioned to return your notebook back to the same operating condition as when you took it out of the box.

    Any programs that did not originally come on your notebook you will have to reinstall from their install discs.

    Assuming your restore works as it should I highly recommend you create the HP restore discs as suggested in case your recovery partition ever gets damaged. You will need two or three DVD+R (recommended) discs to perform the task.
    HP Pavillion dv6775us
    Intel C2D T5450 1.66 GHz||4GB DDR2 PC6400||Nvidia 8400M GS 256MB||Hitachi Travelstar 7K500 500GB 7200RPM||Intel 4965AGN||Windows 7 x64 PRO

  8. #8
    Notebook Guru
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    65
    Rep Power
    15

    Default Re: How to Format my HP Laptop?

    Quote Originally Posted by deeastman View Post
    As long as the recovery partition still exists you won't need any additional discs. Just hit F11 during boot as mentioned to return your notebook back to the same operating condition as when you took it out of the box.

    Any programs that did not originally come on your notebook you will have to reinstall from their install discs.

    Assuming your restore works as it should I highly recommend you create the HP restore discs as suggested in case your recovery partition ever gets damaged. You will need two or three DVD+R (recommended) discs to perform the task.
    ok Thanks for the advise

    i Shall try the format soon now

    thx everyone for the help! =)

  9. #9
    Notebook Guru
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    65
    Rep Power
    15

    Default Re: How to Format my HP Laptop?

    EDIT: nvm.. figured it out..

  10. #10
    Notebook Evangelist
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles, California + Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    423
    Rep Power
    16

    Default Re: How to Format my HP Laptop?

    Tell us what the problem was, so we'll all know. (And by the way, before I would advise anyone to reformat, I'd sure want to try a System Restore first!)
    HP dv5t ~Vista 64 bit ~ T9400 2.53 GHz ~ 15.4 WSXGA+ 1680 x 1050 ~ 4GB DDR2 ~ 512MB NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT ~ 320GB 5400RPM ~ Intel Next-Gen Wireless-N Mini-card w/Bluetooth ~ Blu-Ray ROM DVD+/-R/RW ~ Integ. HDTV Hybrid Tuner ~ 12 Cell Battery ~ MS Office 2007 ~ 3-yr Accidental Damage Protection

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:41 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.2
Copyright © 2014 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1