Quantcast Hard drive clicking-Driving me batty.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Hard drive clicking-Driving me batty.

My HP Pavilion DV9740 notebook's hard drive has recently begun clicking. It sounds exactly like the armature parking itself. It is two clicks (slightly different sounding) back to back, and the pair occurs sometimes once or twice a minute. The hard drive did not do this for the first 11 months. Other than the relentless clicking, the computer appears to be working fine.

What is this? Is there a setting that might have been changed that is causing the heads to park frequently?
    Last edited by jm55; 30th March 2009 at 01:09 PM.

Notebook Deity

Default Re: Hard drive clicking-Driving me batty.

If your computer is still under warranty, I would get HP to replace the hard drive. Clicking hard drives means it will almost certainly die soon. I would back up my important data on another hard drive/flash drive.
    - ThinkPad T400: Intel C2D P8600, ATI HD3470 + Intel 4500, 4GB DDR3, 320GB@7200, DVD-RW, 14.1" WXGA+ LED, Intel WiFi 5300, BT, 6-cell battery, Windows 7 Pro x64
    - Custom Desktop: Intel Core i7 920 D0, ASUS P6T Deluxe
    , 12GB OCZ DDR3, ATI 5870 Crossfire, 6TB@7200, Corsair 1000W PSU, NEC 2490WUXi x2, Silverstone TJ-09B, Windows 7 Pro x64

Notebook Deity

Is the sound more a scratching sound or like pressing a small button clicking?

You can run a hard disk test through the BIOS.

Have you dropped your notebook recently? It's kind of weird for both to be possibly failing at the same time.

Definitely call up HP for help!

Notebook Evangelist

mine is very clicky and so was the one on both dv5t's i had... as far as i can tell, it's a normal trait..
    dv7t-1270|W7U-64|P8600 2.4GHz|4GB RAM|9600mGT|320GB|N+Bluetooth|LightScribe Blu-Ray|24" ViewSonic 1080p LCD|HP Bluetooth Stereo Headphones|HP QuickDock|MS5000 BT Mouse|HP 2.1 50w Speakers|HP Elite Wireless Keyboard|Notepal Infinite Cooler| Moto Atrix

Quote Originally Posted by Infamous22 View Post
    Is the sound more a scratching sound or like pressing a small button clicking?

You can run a hard disk test through the BIOS.

Have you dropped your notebook recently? It's kind of weird for both to be possibly failing at the same time.

Definitely call up HP for help!
    There is no scratching. It is two successive metalic clicks. I am extremely careful with the notebook. It has not suffered any kind of impact or jarring.

Can you indicate how to acces and run this test?

I had the same problem with my ST980815A disk when I bought it.

Download hdparm from http://hdparm-win32.dyndns.org/hdparm/ (the win32 port of a standard linux program). Type: hdparm -B 254 sda. Wait and see if clicks again. If it doesn't, add it to your startup. Explanation: this command temporarily alters the power management level of the drive, which should prevent any parking. The level is reset by your BIOS when you reboot, and on some laptops when it comes out of S1. The least power-saving level is 254; do not use 255, that's a "custom" level that varies from drive to drive.

Aha! I hope I was trying to keep the post as simple as possible by not mentioning the computer had recently been in for service (hinge and noise in the headphone jacks) and had only really started after coming back. They had wiped the hard drive, and obviously changed the bios.

What you just described, do you think I can handle it? I am really a novice at computers.

Notebook Deity

i had a laptop external drive that did this. it clicked like crazy and sometimes the computer wouldnt see it right away causing lag. eventually it died after about 6 months worth of clicking taking everything on the drive with it.

if it was me i would buy acronis true image software. make an image of the failing drive to an external drive like a western digital passport or similar. go to best buy or something and buy the 320 gig 7200 laptop drive for 99 bucks or whatever. install it in the laptop. boot from the acronis disk then choose restore choosing the image from the western digital passport drive. problem solved. throw clickity drive in trash.
    2012 Mac Air 13 inch - turbo 2.8 ghz, 8 gb Ram, 128 gb SSD, 512mb HD 4000

Why does everyone think it's the drive failing? Mine has been doing the same thing for a couple years and I too am wondering what is causing it. I bought another drive made by a different manufacturer and placed the OLD drive in the secondary slot and put the NEW drive in the primary slot and did a factory restore. After a couple months the new drive started making the same clicks. I can tell its the primary drive with windows installed on it because of the location the sound is coming from. I still use the old drive for recording tv in media center and have no problems with it.

Please someone that is smart tell all of us what software is causing all the clicking of the drive so we can stop the annoyance.

If you do a reboot, it stops for a day or 2. If you do a factory restore it stops for a month or 2.

Notebook Consultant

I think your hard drive is just fine.
    If Windows freezes as the hard drive produces the clicking noise, then it is possible your hard drive is about to die. If not, it is more likely that your hard drive is just fine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast