Quantcast Pavilion dv8000 power shutting off problem

Closed Thread
    Notebook Consultant

Default Pavilion dv8000 power shutting off problem

The laptop shuts off by itself at any stage, sometimes as little as 2 seconds after powering on or 10 minutes later, the shutting off is inconsistent, any ideas please?

Moderately Boss

Default Re: Pavilion dv8000 power shutting off problem

Most likely overheating from fans blocked full of dust
    . #flickr
    [Desktop] Silverstone LC20B | Q8200 2.8ghz | GTX680OCE | 8GB RAM | 128GB M4 SSD | 12TB HDD | Intel 6300N | Dell U3014
    [Notebook] HP DV2500 Verve SE | T7500 | 8400GS | 4GB DDR2 RAM | WD 250GB HDD | Intel 4965AGN |
    [Worktop] NZXT Apollo | i7-3770 | GTX 460SE | 12GB DDR3 | 120GB Intel 330 SSD | M-Audio Delta 66 | Dell U2913

NBR Super Moderator

There are a few tools (NHC, Everest) that can monitor temps on notebooks...you might want to use them to monitor your notebook up until it shuts down.

Also, it is possible that the motherboard's solder isn't doing so well...and is starting to fail. Heat could be a trigger for that.

Have you noticed at any time, for unknown reasons, your laptop might be running off of battery power?
    Desktop   15" Macbook Pro Retina
    W7 Ultimate, Core i7 4770k, Crucial M500 240GB SSD   
    16GB RAM, GTX 780, 3x Dell U2412M Surround
       Mavericks, Core i7 4750HQ, 8GB RAM
       256GB SSD, 32GB iPad Air

Notebook Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by flipfire View Post
    Most likely overheating from fans blocked full of dust
    If your laptop is a year or more old, and if you've used it in and out, or in a dusty environment, then a thin layer must has built up an is blocking the fan.

This is a link for the maintenance guide for your laptop. It show guide you through the different steps to open your laptop.
    http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c00701888.pdf

Once you've open and cleaned your laptop fan+heatsink, apply some good quality thermal compond such as Artic Silver 5 before puting the heatsink back.

Just a note, before putting the heat sink back, make sure to clean both the CPU and heatsink, and make sure to remoe the cold thermal compond completely.

Cleaning your heatsink should solve the shutting down problem. If this doesn't fix your problem it is likely that you have a more serious problem.

Before opening your laptop, run an antivirus, spyware and a registry cleaner just in case.

If cleaning fix your problem, you can get your laptop to run even cooler by using RMClock.
    The "Undervolting" Guide

hey i have a dv6700t and same exact problem, its overheating an shutting off then it wont turn on until it has cooled down, i called hp up and they told me to update the bios which doesnt help but because its only 3 months old and already overheating i asked for a replacement so they gave me a case manager and she offered me a 2 extended accidental plan for free. so hopefully theyll repair it, but my charger/adapter was making this sizzling sound like there was something shorting out inside, but they sent me a new one

Notebook Consultant

thanks for the help ALL.