Quantcast <>*HP Infinity screen comparison*<>

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Notebook Deity

Default <>*HP Infinity screen comparison*<>

Hey everyone!

As I previously promised I am posting the comparison pictures for the Infinity display. Included in this post will be photos that I took with two DV7's side-by-side, one with Infinity and the other not. Both feature the same 1680 by 1050 resolution. ENJOY!

(Left: without Right: with Infinity)

(DV7 with Infinity Display)

(DV7 without Infinity Display)

(DV7 with Infinity Display)

(DV7 without Infinity Display)

And now..."the bright light" project

Conclusion

Both screens have their ups and downs. You'll have to decide which suits you.

Here are some Pros/Cons for the Infinity:

Pros - Serves as a protective barrier for the screen, looks great in normal lighting,

Cons - has a great deal of glare when shined directly with light, distorts the image clarity a tiny bit

However, after using both screens side-by-side for a fairly decent duration I would honestly choose the Infinity Display. I get aggravated when dust gets caught between the LCD bezel and the LCD panel itself. With the Infinity Display you won't have to worry about dust or any buildups. You can easily clean it without "potentially" damaging the screen. The glare isn't all that bad, how likely are you to shine a light directly into your monitor? The distortion is barely noticeable (camera provokes the distortion).

Sorry for typing horribly. It's really late here. Feel free to ask questions about each screen.

I hope you all love my "signature" red blanket.
    Last edited by Infamous22; 29th August 2008 at 06:15 AM.

Notebook Geek

Default Re: <>*HP Infinity screen comparison*<>

Thanks so much for the screen comparisons. After looking at those pictures and working on my dv5t as well, I would also agree that I'd go with the Infinity screen for similar reasons as well. $50 is a little steep of a premium but for me, I had to do something to get to $1299 for the $400 off coupon. Had I not need to, I'd probably still go with the Infinity.

Notebook Deity

not a problem whatsoever.

Notebook Geek

nice pics when i get mine (very soon) I think ill opt for the INFINITY

Notebook Geek

Thanks for the pictures. My first thought was "wow, it's really reflective. The florescent lights are the first things that catch my attention." But, then I realized I can also see them quite clearly in the non-infinity screen.

I was all set on *not* getting the Infinity screen because I really don't like the super glossy look on the new notebooks, but I'm resigned to the fact that I have to get used to it unless I want a Lenovo. (which I don't)

Now I'll be rethinking the Infinity display. Thanks, again, for taking the time to shoot/post the pics.

Notebook Geek

a picture may be worth a thousand words, but seeing it in person trumps any picture. i checked it out in a j&r store yesterday, and as a dv6000 owner already familiar with the glossiness of a standard hp screen, the infinity was not noticably more reflective for normal use (but then again i couldn't change the lighting of the store). my current screen is slightly liquid damaged due to me trying to get the dust out of the crevice between the lcd and the frame, so i will most likely get the infinity option if/when i ever buy a dv5. i agree that the $50 is slightly high of a premium to pay, but with all these coupons floating around i actually find it difficult to reach the price thresholds sometimes, so this is a worthwhile upgrade.

MagicPeople VooDooPeople

yes! the red blanky is back!

jk - nice comparison. the 1st pic really captures how the infinity screen looks in natural lighting.

your pictures also backup what one of the magazines said about the infinity screen - the fact that it grays the screen/desktop/image a bit. you can see that in nearly every picture that the colors are sort of faded as compared to the non-infinity screen.

but definitely note the huge difference - in the 1st pic, you can see the reflection of your wall on the infinity screen but on the non infinity, there is absolutely no reflection.
    Current machine: Apple MBP Retina : 2.7ghz | 16GB RAM | 512 GB SSD. WASTE OF MONEY. I'm not happy with it. Only thing I like is the screen. Lackluster responsiveness even though this is a $3,400 build.

My New Year's Resolution: 1680 x 1050
    | My computer doesn't need to hibernate - IT'S NOT A BEAR!

Notebook Deity

If these pictures say anything it's stay clear from the infinity. Looks like crap from these examples. Laptops have enough problems these days with reflections. Pay more for an infinity and get even more reflections. What was HP thinking?

As for cleaning screens, I just buy a bunch of Zeiss lens cloths from Sam's club in bulk and they clean my dv6500t screen perfectly. The display looks perfect after over one year of use. Forget the infinity just use the right cloths to clean the screen.

Notebook Enthusiast

From the pics it looks like the infinity screen makes the screen color dull & adds glares....but you do make a good point about cleaning....glad to opted for the regular screen

Notebook Consultant

^ Me too. I'm happy with my regular screen too. Thanks for the thread and the comparison.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast