Quantcast Accessing HP Recovery Disc Files: solved

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Notebook Virtuoso

Default Accessing HP Recovery Disc Files: solved

Many of you have had questions about how, if anything, you can access the files on the HP recovery discs, without having to go through a full recovery. Maybe you did a clean install and want to get some software you forgot to backup, or something else like that. Well, here it is:

Before you start, please know that this is really for ADVANCED USERS ONLY, and frankly, it's kind of a pain.

Right now you can explore the folders and copy files out of the image, and that's about it. If you're looking to be able to do a clean install using this method, it might work in a limited way and you'll have to do a LOT of modifications to the image. I have not looked into this yet, but I bet someone can figure it out.

OK, so here's how:
    1. Download and install the free, but HUGE Windows Automated Installation Kit (All you really need is the 'imagex' utility and WIM driver, which is about 14MB, but it only comes as part of this 1GB download)
    2. Install the WAIK
    3. Install the WIM driver:
      1. Go to "C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools"
      2. Open the folder that matches the architecture of the OS you're running
        • 32-bit = x86
        • 64-bit = amd64
      3. Right-click on the "wimfltr.inf" file and select "Install"
      4. Reboot
    4. Add the WIM tools folder to your PATH:
      1. Right-click on "Computer", then "Properties"
      2. Click on "Advanced system settings" in the left-hand pane
      3. Select the "Advanced" tab, then press the button [Environment Variables...]
      4. Under the "User variables for {username}", click on "PATH", then the [Edit] button
      5. In the "Value" box, go to the end of the line (DO NOT DELETE ANYTHING THAT'S ALREADY THERE!) and add to the end of the line:
          ;C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\x86
        Make SURE to include the semi-colon, and replace "x86" with "amd64" if you are using 64-bit Vista.
      6. Press [OK], [OK], [OK]
    5. Insert each recovery DVD and go into the "preload" folder where you will find a bunch of "BASE#.WIM" files, where # is a number. Copy all of these files into a folder on your hard drive (also get the "BASE.WIM" file). Do this for each of the discs.
    6. Open the "Command Prompt" as Administrator and "cd" into the folder where you copied the "BASE*.WIM" files.
    7. Run the "imagex command to export the split WIM files into one big file:
      imagex /export /ref *.wim base.wim 1 exported.wim "exported"
    8. Wait
    9. Make a directory that will be used to mount the image:
      mkdir exported
    10. Mount the image:
      imagex /mount exported.wim 1 exported
    11. Now you can open the "exported" folder and explore all the files inside!
    Activation Backup and Restore (ABR) | Clean Vista Install | Screen DPI | RAM Testing w/ Memtest86+ | Where's my disk space? | Accessing HP Recovery Disc Files

Lenovo W510: i7-720QM, 8GB RAM, 1920x1080 (FHD), Quadro FX880 1GB, 500GB 7200rpm Disk, WiFi UltimateN 6300 AGN, Fingerprint, Webcam, USB3.0, Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Notebook Enthusiast

Default Re: Accessing HP Recovery Disc Files: solved

Hi Orev:

I have been trying to do this for awhile. Looks like in the step #4, sub#4
    " Under the "User variables for {username}", click on "PATH",.."

There is no PATH entry, but I see PATH entry under "system variables.."
    So, I inserted this " ;C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\x86 " under that entry to find what is going to happen.

However at the step #5, " ...go into the "preload" folder .."

I don't see any folder named "preload" in the recovery DVD.

I am using my Sony recovery disk.

I am using a PC with Vista Ultimate SP1 to do this procedure.

Any suggestion?

Notebook Deity

Here something that goies good with this gui from imagex

http://www.autoitscript.com/gimagex/

also am pretty sure when you install waik you do not need to install imagex fliter manual
    New Aspire one Sub Notebook
    New Ibm X61T 776295U
    Sold Acer Aspire 5672

Notebook Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by satyre View Post
    Hi Orev:

I have been trying to do this for awhile. Looks like in the step #4, sub#4
    " Under the "User variables for {username}", click on "PATH",.."

There is no PATH entry, but I see PATH entry under "system variables.."
    So, I inserted this " ;C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\x86 " under that entry to find what is going to happen.

However at the step #5, " ...go into the "preload" folder .."

I don't see any folder named "preload" in the recovery DVD.

I am using my Sony recovery disk.

I am using a PC with Vista Ultimate SP1 to do this procedure.

Any suggestion?

For the PATH issue, it does not matter. You can do it systemwide or you can do it per user. You can make a new variable if it doesn't exist under USER, or just put it in SYSTEM.

As for the "preload", you'll have to find that yourself. It may not be called "preload". You have to look around on the disc for some really big files, probably ending in .WIM, or maybe .MOD files, according to post #4 in this thread. This procedure is very vendor specific, so you'll need to get creative to adapt it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by andyasselin View Post
    Here something that goies good with this gui from imagex

http://www.autoitscript.com/gimagex/

also am pretty sure when you install waik you do not need to install imagex fliter manual
    Great find!
    Activation Backup and Restore (ABR) | Clean Vista Install | Screen DPI | RAM Testing w/ Memtest86+ | Where's my disk space? | Accessing HP Recovery Disc Files

Lenovo W510: i7-720QM, 8GB RAM, 1920x1080 (FHD), Quadro FX880 1GB, 500GB 7200rpm Disk, WiFi UltimateN 6300 AGN, Fingerprint, Webcam, USB3.0, Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Notebook Enthusiast

I found several files *.MOD and two .WOM files that is BOOT.WIM and P1.WIM.

Everything went smooth, but in the out put folder there is no software that I am looking for though it is listed in *.MOD files.

Where went wrong, I have no idea.

I used this command for MOD files.

imagex /export /ref *.mod boot.wim 1 exported.wim "exported"

It created the exported.wm file
    Then used this command

imagex /mount exported.wim 1 exported

Opened the folder, it has only the basic windows files but no softwares...

What is that P1.wim ? I tried with P1.wim instead of Boot.wim again, but no software files in the ouput.

Multi_Booting_Master

thanks for the great tip orev!!!
    ThinkPad W520
    i7 2920QM / 4x4 Gb ram / Quadro 2000M / 128GB MyDigitalSSD mSATA SSD + 500Gb Hdd / FHD Screen + X-RiteŽ color calibration sensor / Intel WiFi Link 6300 AGN WLAN / 9 Cell Battery / Ubuntu 12.04 x64

Legal Windows 7 Download Links (Nice Try, but you still need a key!)
    The HP Laptop Out-Of-The-Box Guide 2.0 for Windows 7

Notebook Virtuoso

Every vendor is different. You might have more luck in the Sony forum. One good clue will be how big each of the files are. For HP systems, there are about 10 files, each about 650MB, which makes it easy to fit on CDs or DVDs. There may be another image number in there that has more files on it.

I would suggest reading up on imagex, and trying out that GUI utility that andyasselin mentioned.

Notebook Deity

I wound say p1 image are apply after the base one with windows depend on config

have you try just mount the p1 images?

or do imagex /info on them? that gui can do that
    New Aspire one Sub Notebook
    New Ibm X61T 776295U
    Sold Acer Aspire 5672

I followed this verbatim and it worked perfectly, even tho it took me hours on imagex before I found the tutorial.

My question is what or how do I create a bootable DVD without the HP crap? Is it possible? should i create a virtual machine to try out the new mounted image?

Please help.

cgman

Notebook Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by cgman View Post
    I followed this verbatim and it worked perfectly, even tho it took me hours on imagex before I found the tutorial.

My question is what or how do I create a bootable DVD without the HP crap? Is it possible? should i create a virtual machine to try out the new mounted image?

Please help.

cgman
    There's some information on how to make a bootable DVD from the downloaded Vista files, which you can find here: http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/0...nloaded-files/
    You may be able to figure out a technique that uses the extracted file from these WIM files instead.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast