Quantcast HP Webcam

Closed Thread

Thread: HP Webcam

Notebook Consultant

Default HP Webcam

Okay - this thing sucks. I want to use my HP Webcam that's built into my laptop, but it's not like a logitech where you can change the resolution or anything.

I'm trying to use the HP Webcam to go on AOL Instant Messenger. When I go on, the voice is delayed and sometimes sounds garbled to the other person. I know it's probably because the resolution is set too high, but there doesn't seem to be any way to adjust the resolution.

This doesn't happen on my desktop, which is 4 years old!!!! Logitech cameras come with an app that launches with AIM so you can adjust stuff for better performance.

HP comes with YouCam, which is SUPPOSED to work with AIM, but doesn't do so well and when it finally does work, I STILL can't lower the resolution to improve performance and get the mic to work right.

WHAT DO I DO???

Moderately Boss

Default Re: HP Webcam

Your connection might be too slow? Resolution settings are usually fixed to an acceptable quality on chat programs. Try a different program that allows you to change resolution

Mine works fine with msn messenger 8
    . #flickr
    [Desktop] Silverstone LC20B | Q8200 2.8ghz | GTX680OCE | 8GB RAM | 128GB M4 SSD | 12TB HDD | Intel 6300N | Dell U3014
    [Notebook] HP DV2500 Verve SE | T7500 | 8400GS | 4GB DDR2 RAM | WD 250GB HDD | Intel 4965AGN |
    [Worktop] NZXT Apollo | i7-3770 | GTX 460SE | 12GB DDR3 | 120GB Intel 330 SSD | M-Audio Delta 66 | Dell U2913

Inspiron 1420 Owner

I've never owned an HP laptop, but are you sure there's no application/utility like a Dell Webcam Manager on Dells to fiddle with settings?

Notebook Consultant

NO - nothing to change the res AT ALL ... the only thing they give you is that damn Cyberlink YouCam crap that hogs your resources and does NOT work well with AIM.

I would LOVE to use messenger 8, except NO ONE I know uses it. I think the video on it is more easy to work with thought, right? There are virtually NO camera settings on AIM or through an HP app that can adjust resolution.

It takes a pretty amazing connection and computer to maintain a full resolution webcam feed, so I have no idea why they would default it at full res like that. It's probably the reason my voice is going through all messed ... Or maybe my wireless G signal isn't strong enough like you said, but it's at least 3 or 4 out of 5 bars, so .... maybe I should have gotten a laptop with wireless N? And paid $200 for a wireless N router with Range Booster?

UGH! FRUSTRATED. My old desktop IS connected through a wired ethernet cable.

Notebook Consultant

I don't think this is HP's fault as far as the resolution goes.
    Quickplay will let you change the HPwebcam capture to either 320 x 240 or 640 x 480. Onece you have the webcam selected and activated. Click "i" on the bottom left and select change resolution.

In addition to this. I have a free video capture program called DEBUT whivh also lets me change the video capture resolution and even vidoe format like yuc and all other kinds of formats.

I'm also sure AIM many many moons ago. Myabe version 3 let you select the resolution of the camera. But I think they got rid of this option becuase to many people were screwing with it and messing things up.

So what I'm trying to say is. This feature needs to be part of the application.

Good Luck

Notebook Guru

i dunno about u, but ive never had sucess camming with AIM. AIM sucked for camming so anyone of my friends i ever did cam conferencing with, we did it on MSN, saved both of us tons of headaches. u should just tell ur lazy friends to get MSN.
    my hp9700t rocks!

Notebook Enthusiast

Have you searched around on these forums?
    There is a thread about "fixing" the HP webcam, where all you are really doing is installing different drivers, Asus (I think).

Notebook Consultant

Thanks guys - I'll look into it. I tried downloading logitechs webcam program, but I couldn't fool it into letting me use it with the HP Webcam. I know that program works great with AIM and lets you change the settings.