Quantcast HP Laptop keeps shutting off

Closed Thread

Default HP Laptop keeps shutting off

I have an HP Pavillion DV6000 that is seven months old. Today, when I went to turn it on, the "HP Invent" screen appears and then it shuts off. It keeps doing that. HP told me to remove the battery, adapter...then replug and hold power button down. It didn't help. Could it just be the power source that is bad...or something else. It just happened for the first time today.Thanks for any help

Notebook Evangelist

Default Re: HP Laptop keeps shutting off

It wouldn't seem like a power source issue since you see the HP Invent logo every time. HP's instructions to remove the battery and adapter and hold the power button down was probably an attempt to reset BIOS settings. It could be an overheating issue, if it hard powers down. Does it shut completely off or is it rebooting? If it reboots, it could just be a software problem with your operating system.

Does the system feel hotter than usual, does it feel like air is circulating out of the system, do you hear the fans come on when it starts up?

On the lines of it being a power source issue, can you remove the battery and turn the laptop on off the AC adapter alone? If so, I'd say it's probably nothing to do with your power sources. If you can't run on AC power alone, it could mean the AC adapter is bad and the system is shutting down because the battery can't support more than just booting the system up. You might try moving the adapter to a different outlet if that does turn out to be the problem.
    Last edited by JoeNewberry; 30th January 2008 at 03:33 AM.

Moderately Boss

Most likely a hardware problem if it doesnt even go past the BIOS
    . #flickr
    [Desktop] Silverstone LC20B | Q8200 2.8ghz | GTX680OCE | 8GB RAM | 128GB M4 SSD | 12TB HDD | Intel 6300N | Dell U3014
    [Notebook] HP DV2500 Verve SE | T7500 | 8400GS | 4GB DDR2 RAM | WD 250GB HDD | Intel 4965AGN |
    [Worktop] NZXT Apollo | i7-3770 | GTX 460SE | 12GB DDR3 | 120GB Intel 330 SSD | M-Audio Delta 66 | Dell U2913

Notebook Consultant

Whatever the thing is, take the entire thing in for service. Your computer should have at least a one year warranty.

Banned

Call hp and have them fix it. It seems like it is some type of hardware or bios issue

Notebook Deity

When HP tells you to remove the batter and AC Adapter and hold the power button down, it is basically flushing out your system of all Electrical currents, not reseting BIOS. Anyways, from the sound of it, it is either your Motherboard, or your power supply. When I say power supply, I don't mean the AC adapter, but the internal Power Supply of the laptop.