Quantcast Laptop Monitor... No Backlight!!!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Laptop Monitor... No Backlight!!!

I have an HP Pavillion zv5330us, bought in Jan., 05. Recently, the monitor went "black" (no backlight)... yet, when I use an external light source to illuminate it from the front I can see that the computer is 'otherwise' functioning just fine, albeit, very difficult to 'read'. It would appear to be a hardware problem; tho, I'm not sure. After reading of the problems others are having with HP repair work... I'm not too keen on seeking their 'help'. Anyone have a similar problem... or, suggestion of how I might be able to resolve it on my own? Thanx!

Notebook Consultant

Default Re: Laptop Monitor... No Backlight!!!

sounds like the inverter may have gone out. not uncommon.
    Eurocom Divine-X/Clevo M571RU | T7500 | 4GB | 200GB Hitachi 7.2k | 8800M GTX | 1680x1050 matte | XP MCE

Notebook Consultant

Do you have on-site repair? I'm sure HP will be more careful when operating in front of you. But yeah I would personally recommend against sending it in for repairs. You can complain if something goes wrong and there's a fair chance that they might just replace the whole computer. In your case though, I think sending it in might be the best bet. Replacing the lamp is risky business and it will cost a lot. Send it in, cross your fingers! But before you send it, take detailed pictures of your laptop so you have proof if HP messed up or something. Good luck.

I have had the same problem, let me ask, did it happen after a vista crash?

To fix mine, although this sounds very weird, it worked. I called up HP and this is what i did. First i shutdown the laptop, removed the battery, removed the ram case, take all the ram out, put one back in, turn computer on (without battery, just wall adapter) It turned on fine, then i shut it down and put my second stick of ram in. I have a dv9500t, hope this helps.

Hey guys... I'm back in 'business', as it were. Thanks to all of you who responded, except for "chiarocurist" - you had me confused and scared (just kidding). Actually, I was on the verge of either sending it off for repair (scary option, after reading of others' misfortunes with HP, et al), or, buying the parts (inverter board and ccfl) and installing them myself. The problem there is that I would only be guessing whether "both" parts were defective... or just one. But then... which one?
    To make a long story, short... I was all over the web, reading many sites dedicated to this same problem. Most referred to a faulty inverter board or ccfl. A couple mentioned that doggone little 'switch' which shuts down your monitor (puts it in hybernation mode) should you close the lid before 'properly' shutting down 'completely'.
    Well... I had nothing to lose; so I tried "tapping" that little bugger... repeatedly... after noticing that as I did so, the backlight acted as tho it "wanted" to come back to life. IT WORKED !!! I CAN SEE, AGAIN!!!
    Just goes to show ya... oftentimes, it's the little, simple, things that crawl up our butts... and give us fits, but, then the 'remedy' is sometimes... just as simple and close at hand.
    Anyway, once again... thanks to each of y'all for offering your assisstance. I really appreciate it.

Hi,

I am having the same problem but i cant seem to find that little hidden switch.
    Using a HP pavillion dv2024tx. Hope the model type helps in explaining where the damn switch is. lol

Its driving me crazy

Hi BAKRY...

In answer to your query, specifically; go here...

" http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/manual/c00726464.pdf "

In the left column, 'expand' the "Components" category... then, choose "Display Components".

You will see an image representative of your particular HP Model... and in the lower, right corner of the "monitor face" you will find the location of the "switch" ( #4 in the illustration... " Internal Display Switch " ), which is involved in "turning off the display if the display is closed while the computer is still turned on".

Keep in mind that the location, and physical description, or appearance of said switches is often 'different', from one Model... to the next; as it is between "yours" and "mine". Mine has a tiny rubber nubule sticking up... which is actuated to "disengage" power to the display when the "lid", or monitor, is closed... while the computer is still in the "on" mode. "Yours" has a different 'configuration' than mine... al beit, the 'function' serves the same purpose... and accomplishes the same end result. Refer to your "owner's manual, or handbook, for, perhaps, a better description or illustration of the function in question.

BTW... That particular "fix" was only temporary, in my case (dammit). Didn't last very long. Ultimately, I paid a visit to a Salvation Army store where I purchased a "Dell - 15in. CRT color display" for a whopping $10.00... and hooked it up to the VGA port on my laptop. It works just fine... as a home-based display. This remedy will at least "keep you going", in the interim.
    I know... it doesn't resolve "our" real problem... but, it is a temp. fix, until we either decide to bite the bullet... or bury the damn thing in the backyard.

Hope this helps... Parker

CHRISKMEE...

Sorry for such a late response; but, no it had nothing to do with "Vista".
    I don't use Vista. I've heard that far too many people have had nothing but problems after attempting to switch over to Vista... from "XP - or, XP-pro".

Notebook Consultant

Just to add to this...my inverter board went bad on my HP. When I held a flashlight to the screen at an angle I could see my desktop. The screen would occasionally work, occasionally not work...until ultimately it completely failed.

The PCB inverter board on my laptop is right underneath the area of the button you mentioned is...so tapping there could also affect the inverter board.

My repair cost me $10-$15 and 45 minutes of careful disassembly. You can get instructions off the HP site on how to take apart your lappy.

Wujohn,

You state: "My repair cost me $10-$15 and 45 minutes of careful disassembly. You can get instructions off the HP site on how to take apart your lappy."

Could you please be more specific, relative to getting the info on disassembling my particular laptop? I've found nothing from HP. Apparently, I'm looking in the wrong place. Please assist... as I'm anxious to get this thing resolved... without destroying my 'machine'. Thanx.

BTW...I did the same thing, shine a light across my screen, so that I could read e-mail and try and research the nature of the 'problem' and to look for a solution, via the web.

PARKER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast