Quantcast XP Up & Running (99.9%) on my new dv6600 (AMD / nVidia based)

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 26 1234511 ... LastLast
    Notebook Enthusiast

Default XP Up & Running (99.9%) on my new dv6600 (AMD / nVidia based)

Not sure if this will help anyone, but I thought I would post that I was able to get Windows XP (sp2) up and running on my brand new dv6645us in less than a day!

Like just about any good computer user, I too am disgusted with Vista, and everything about it. So when I had to purchase a new laptop recently, I was extremely disappointed that XP was not offered on more new equipment.

If I had the time to wait, I would have probably would have just ordered a dell, or some other custom laptop with XP, but time just did not permit me right now.

I ended up with the dv6645us because it wasn't too outrageously priced, and I could have it "right now"!

The biggest feature / demand (at least to me) of this laptop, was that it has bluetooth built in. This is important to sync & have DUN access through my cel phone. I know I could just buy a dumb little usb BT. But for one, it sticks out the laptop, and my clumsy(lazy) self would just end up breaking it anyways, two, if I am going to be spending $500+ on a new laptop, it better have all the features that I WANT IT TO! (Why don't all the sales monkeys understand this?)

Anyways, on to the real info here.

I was able to remove that POS vista, and get XP installed on this thing in about a days worth of effort. And while the subject says 99.9%, to me it is 100%, because the other stuff not working (or tested yet), is not important to me or most (I would hope) other users out there.

The .1% consists of me not yet testing the included wireless remote & all of the "hard" buttons located just above the keyboard.

To get all the XP drivers downloaded & installed required only about half a dozen inf file edits. But most of the driver installs were just stock package downloads.

The only items requiring inf edits were the 3 Conexant HD audio & modem packages, and the Nvidia SMBus & wired NIC drivers.

There are no "other" or "unsupported" devices listed in my device manager (can provide a screenshot if asked).

The 5 in 1 memory card reader, Bluetooth, Wireless NIC (+ Utility), Touchpad, and even most of the "other/hard" buttons (volume +/- & mute) above the keyboard even worked fine with the base installers I was able to find (direct from hp, nvidia, or other places).

I want to thank the author of this page: http://www.nogodforme.com/HPDV6500T.htm as it was some help, not to mention pointing me to this forum, where I got a little more help from reading.

If enough people ask, I will probably make a similar page for my laptop XP install process, and tips.

If you do have specific questions, please DO NOT PM or try and email me, ask your questions about this in the forum / thread, this way everyone will benefit from the discussion.

Notebook Enthusiast

Default Re: Was able to get XP Up & Running (99.9%) on my new dv6600

For those of you curious, the dv6645us (and maybe even the dv2610us too) has the following hardware makes/models, and could use the suggested drivers:

NVidia MoBo chipset:
    nForce 560
    (CPU-Z states it is the exact MoBo model: Quanta 30CF)
    Used file: 12.15_nforce_520_winxp32_english_whql.exe directly from Nvidia.
    Once extracted, installed, inf edits were then made & updated for just the SMBus & Ethernet drivers.

INF EDITS:
    This is where things get much more difficult if you don't know what you are doing, or just aren't comfortable doing them. This can also be somewhat dangerous I guess, and will actually let you install any driver for any piece of hardware. Just because windows will actually let you install (any) driver, doesn't mean the device will actually work though. You should be confident when picking your drivers and making these edits. Since I was using the real NVidia drivers for the chipset that was identified by the CPU-Z utility, I was pretty confident with this driver choice.
    After the Nforce drivers run through their install process, it usually leave the drivers uncompressed in a directory on your C: drive (probably C:\NVIDIA\something)

SMBus inf edit:
    I opened up the SMBus\nvsmbus.inf file, and saw a large list of Hardware ID's under the [NVIDIA_SYS] section. I copied and pasted the last line of this section, and changed it to read:
    %PCI\VEN_10de&DEV_01b4.DeviceDesc% = AMD_NO_DRV, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0542

The way I came up with the new last four digit #'s, was to go into device manager, double-click on the unknown device "SMBus...", click on the "Details" tab, and scrolled through the first 3 options. I found that under the "Compatible Ids" area, a very similar id existed, and I just needed to change the last 4 (3 really) digits of the new line I had just made to 0524 (from 0446).

Now I just saved the inf with the updated info, went back to the "Driver" tab on the unknown device, and clicked "Update Driver". When needed, I pointed the procedure to the right place (c:\nvidia\12.15\smbus\), it found the right driver, and I would reboot if needed. Now since the device did not come up with a red X in device manager, I would say that it is working correctly.

Ethernet inf edit:
    To get this driver loaded, I edited two inf files: Ethernet\nvnetbus.inf & Ethernet\nvenetfd.inf
    For the first file (nvnetbus.inf), I went through, and found the [Standard] section of the file, and added this line:
    %nvnetbus.DeviceDesc%=nvnetBus_Device, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_054C

Again, I knew to change the last 4 digits of the line to 054c since it was listed as the Hardware id in the device manager for the unknown Ethernet device.

For the second file (nvenetfd.inf):
    I browsed through it, and saw that I would need to copy & edit the appropriate line under each of these three sections [ControlFlags], [Nvidia], [Nvidia.NTx86.5.1].
    With the end of each new line under each of those 3 sections, the line would need to be changed to 054c as well.

Now I just saved the inf file(s) with the updated info, went into to the "Driver" tab on the unknown device, and clicked "Update Driver". When needed, I pointed the procedure to the right place (c:\nvidia\12.15\ethernet\), it found the right driver, and I would reboot if needed. Now since the device did not come up with a red X in device manager, I would assume that it is working correctly.
    Since I was able to, I plugged in an ethernet cable to my little home network, and the device worked great (100 Mbit FD even!).
    This concludes the first inf edit tips for the needed MoBo drivers. Next inf edits will be for the audio devices & modem.

Wireless 802.11b/g nic:
    Broadcom 4311BG
    sp36684.exe - Base Driver
    sp36686.exe - WLAN Utility

5 in 1 Card reader:
    Ricoh 5 in 1
    (For this, I was able to just use the 5 in 1 Ricoh drivers meant from another pc: sp33604.exe.)

Video device:
    nVidia GeForce 7150M / nForce 630M
    I used driver 156.72 from over here
    Note: (12-4-07)
    It was brought to my attention that the drivers at my original link (above) no longer has the drivers available. I zipped up my copy I still have, and have made them available to download from here:
    http://www.megafileupload.com/en/fil...Force-zip.html

Bluetooth device:
    Broadcom for HP.
    Uses the WIDCOMM stack though, can be obtained form HP:
    Newer Version (5.1):
    sp34842.exe
    Older Version (4.0):
    sp32883.exe

Keyboard hard (quick launch) buttons:
    ** HP links broken, see 3rd note below a little ways **
    I'm still messing with this, but I have found this much so far.
    Install the HP Quick Launch Button drivers: sp34796.exe
    This should get the device listed right in device manager.

To get the "on screen" volume controls to show up on XP Pro, I read this thread downloaded, and installed the MS IntelliType (6.1) drivers for the "MultiMedia Keyboard" (when asked) from Microsoft at this url:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

1st NOTE:
    As a side note to this "on screen" volume display. The regular HP one just started working after a couple days, and I am unable to tell what got this working. I don't know if maybe the Microsoft DOT NET framework I installed actually got it working or not (this is the only thing I can think of). So I have uninstalled the MS IntelliType driver for now.

2nd NOTE:
    After messing around with this a few more times, I downloaded, and installed (separately) the quicklink button drivers: 5.2, 6.0, 6.1, 6.2, & 6.3.
    6.2 was what I found originally had found, and linked to up above. However, it does not function 100% (nor do any of those versions). However, the most important item to me was the on screen volume indicator. And it did not work right away in any version, except v6.1. So if you don't care about the "dvd" & "Q" button as I don't, and just want the on screen volume indicator as I did, you can download and install v6.1 of those drivers here:
    sp33258.exe

3rd NOTE:
    Apparently HP is too dumb to just add a link to the above linked pages telling people to get the critical update, and they are too lazy to just make a new version of this software with the critical update included.
    DO NOT Forget to download and install the critical update that HP thinks is sooo important.
    I have uploaded the files for your enjoyment.

Quick Link Buttons v6.3 (latest):
    http://megafileupload.com/en/file/32...36708-zip.html

Quick Link Buttons v6.1:
    http://megafileupload.com/en/file/32...33258-zip.html

After you download and install EITHER one of these files, be sure to install the HP CRITICAL UPDATE from here:
    http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...tem=ob-56385-1

Again, The reason I post both version, is I know some people only like the latest versions of stuff, but I post the other (older) one because I found it to work better, and actually display the on-screen volume right after installing.
    One (major) downside to the older version though, when it displays the on-screen volume level, it (temporarily) steels the window focus while the OSD is displayed.

HD Audio & Modem (Both Conexant) setup:
    3 Steps to this part of the setup.

1) Download & Install the (UAA) Universal Audio Architecture drivers:
    sp33867.exe

2) Download, and unzip the audio driver file:
    sp35682.exe
    Under the [Conexant] section of the wis30B2a.inf file, I added the following hardware id:
    %HdAudioFunctionDriver.Waikiki5047.DeviceDesc% = HdAudModel,HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_14F1&DEV_5045&SUBSYS_103C30CF

This solved one of the "unknown devices" under device manager. After going to the device properties in device manager, and manually going through the "Upgrade drivers" process, and pointing that procedure to the correct directory where you updated the inf file to have the correct hardware id.

3) Download, and unzip the modem driver file:
    sp35335.exe
    Under the [ControlFlags] section of the WinXP\SprtHD5m.inf file, I added the following hardware id: ExcludeFromSelect= HDAUDIO\FUNC_02&VEN_14F1&DEV_5045&SUBSYS_103C30CF

AND under the [HSF_MODEM] section of the WinXP\SprtHD5m.inf file, I added the following hardware id:
    %HSFModem% = ModemX, HDAUDIO\FUNC_02&VEN_14F1&DEV_5045&SUBSYS_103C30CF

After editing the inf file, go through the same "upgrade driver" process, be sure you point to the correct directory manually if you have to. This should solve the remaining "unknown device" issue.

Built-In WebCam:
    It should just work in XP (w/SP2) in windows explorer. However, there are reports of some issues with 3rd party apps.

I was able to install this utility from HP:
    sp35040.exe
    I did have to manually start the installed exe file from \program files\hp webcam\hp webcam\xp32\VimicroCam.exe. That little utility did seem to work ok though, and it even recorded a test vid w/audio once config'd some.

You can also check out this thread:
    WEBCAM PROBLEM SOLVED!! (fingers crossed, here's to hoping...)
    And see if the drivers listed in there work for you. I have no idea, as I have not tested them with this model laptop, so good luck.

AMD Processor Drivers:
    Apparently there are better drivers for the CPU itself. These drivers are suppose to have better handling of the dynamic CPU clock speed, and thus saving you battery life, which is very important. I didn't do any test of this theory, but it make sense from a logic stand point.
    Anyways, you can visit the AMD website here:
    http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/..._13118,00.html

Once that page is up, look for a title called (toward the bottom of the page):
    AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual Core Processor Driver for Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 (x86 and x64)
    After you found that, download, and install the driver, you should reboot if asked.

Maybe more later...
    Last edited by TheDave; 29th December 2007 at 05:45 PM. Reason: post new driver links due to HP's incompetance

Notebook Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by TheDave View Post
    to be updated very soon...
    Nice work...
    DV6000t 1.60Mhz Duo Core, 1.5gig Ram, Go 7400, 80gig 5400 HDD - 3DMark05 1890

Very well done! I was able to follow your info and get my new dv6645us up and running in dual boot scenario with Vista/XP in just a few hours! Many thanks to The Dave.

There are, however, still a few items in my Device Manager on XP that come up unkown and I'm not sure what they are. They seem to all be for 1 or 2 devices though because there are 2 called "Unkown Device" and 2 called "PCI Device".

At first I thought they might be related to sound, because when I play an mp3 file in Windows Media on XP, I can't hear it. Codecs are installed, but the only audio device for playback available in Sound controllers is Bluetooth Audio. It seems like I'm still missing something related to the audio.

So, although everything seems to work, I'm just missing one or two more non-critical drivers. Any help with this would be much appreciated.

Notebook Enthusiast

this topic has been beaten to death, a simple search would reveal a 22+ page thread alone.

All hardward can be reverted to XP. Its not that difficult.

Notebook Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    Very well done! I was able to follow your info and get my new dv6645us up and running in dual boot scenario with Vista/XP in just a few hours! Many thanks to The Dave.
    Glad to hear it worked for you. I went ahead and updated the drivers post to include the final steps for the HD Audio & Modem stuff. Hopefully this will help a bit more.

Quote Originally Posted by kittmaster View Post
    this topic has been beaten to death, a simple search would reveal a 22+ page thread alone.

All hardware can be reverted to XP. Its not that difficult.
    Your right, this was not incredibly difficult (if you consider manually editing inf files not difficult, I know I don't really, but I'm sure most people would).
    But when I searched I found ZERO threads with the required inf edits that were needed for my laptop model #, let alone places to download all the drivers required for MY laptop model. The 22+ page thread seems to mostly cover intel chipsets, and not nVidia ones in detail.

Notebook Consultant

Thanks for the kind words and nice work on this thread. I'll add this thread to my guide because people are e-mailing me asking if I can help them with the AMD version. It's kinda hard because I went the Intel route.

The reason these kind of threads are needed, is because people don't know where to begin, and want their hand held. Yes, once you've done it the process is easy, but for a first timer, they need help.

Notebook Consultant

Dave,
    Download and install quicklaunch buttons from the HP support website. This should get the remote and the media buttons working.
    Apple MacBook Pro

Dave,
    You are a life saver. Thank You for you hard work!!!! I just have to get this dumb webcam to work now.

Derek

Notebook Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by 26red5 View Post
    Dave,
    You are a life saver. Thank You for you hard work!!!! I just have to get this dumb webcam to work now.
    For the Webcam, it just works for me in XP (w/SP2) in windows explorer. However, there seem to be some issues with 3rd party apps.
    You can check out this thread:
    WEBCAM PROBLEM SOLVED!! (fingers crossed, here's to hoping...)
    And see if the drivers listed in there work for you. I have no idea, as I have not tested them with this model laptop, so good luck.

Also, i did try this utility from HP:
    sp35040.exe
    And it did seem to work ok (it even recorded a test vid).
    Seeing as though I don't care much about the webcam, I have not looked into it much further than that though. If either of the two links I mentioned above help your problem out, please post back here, and let us know!

Quote Originally Posted by robvia View Post
    Thanks for the kind words and nice work on this thread. I'll add this thread to my guide because people are e-mailing me asking if I can help them with the AMD version. It's kinda hard because I went the Intel route.

The reason these kind of threads are needed, is because people don't know where to begin, and want their hand held. Yes, once you've done it the process is easy, but for a first timer, they need help.
    Thank You! Awesome guide BTW!

It wasn't too hard for me (The 5 years of the PC tech job through the windows 3.1/95/98/me/2000 era didn't hurt either (NT 3.5 & 4 were in there too!)), but I agree that guides like this do help most people out a lot. So I was happy to share it. Especially since most guides I found were dealing with Intel based systems, and not nVidia ones.

Quote Originally Posted by hr_phenom View Post
    Dave,
    Download and install quicklaunch buttons from the HP support website. This should get the remote and the media buttons working.
    hr_phenom: Do you have a link to the XP utils other than the one I mentioned in post 2 of this thread? (sp34796.exe)
    I do have a lot of the remote buttons working already, but it would be nice if I could get em all to work along with having the quickplay & dvd button customizable through the original HP utils.

Page 1 of 26 1234511 ... LastLast