Quantcast HP WLan slows down my startup! help!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Notebook Geek

Default HP WLan slows down my startup! help!

hey guys. i bought HP Pavilion DV2500t a month ago. i noticed that when i start up my comp, everything loads up straightaway except for my wireless lan. at first i thought it was norton anti virus slowing things down but that's not the case as i have uninstalled norton and the problem is still there.

the wlan easily slows down the start up by about 2 mins. what happens is that when i input my password, everything loads up almost at once (including pc-cillin internet security) and then the computer goes into an idle state for about 2 mins after which the dsplay will flicker and then wlan will load up.

may i know why wlan takes so long to load up? pls help cos it's really very annoying. thanks!

Notebook Enthusiast

Default Re: HP WLan slows down my startup! help!

My brothers dv8300t did exactly the same thing. He uninstalled the HP's software and used Vista's in-built WLAN capability and the problem went away. I don't know if this will work in this case but why not try it!
    HP Pavilion dv6500t
    Core 2 Duo T7500 @ 2.2 GHz
    nVidia 8400M GS
    2 GB RAM
    120 GB HDD
    DVD RW
    Webcam + Fingerprint Reader + Mic

Notebook Geek

oh i see. can u guide me how to uninstall HP wireless assistant? also, i can't find vista's in-build feature to control wlan.

i did try to stop loading up hp wireless asst. during startup. but it had no effect. it would still take 2-3 mins to startup...

Notebook Enthusiast

To Uninstall
    1. Go to Control Panel > Programs & Features
    2. Select "HP Wireless Assistant" and click uninstall

You should be able to uninstall the program from there. However, becareful since you may loose your wireless settings, if any.

To use Vista's in-built:

Go to Control Panel > Manage Wireless Network
    or
    Go to Control Panel > Network & Sharing Center
    HP Pavilion dv6500t
    nVidia 8400M GS
    2 GB RAM
    120 GB HDD
    DVD RW

Notebook Consultant

I have hp wireless assistant installed and I don't have that problem. I think it's something else. But then I did a fresh installation of XP so I really don't know the exact cause for the slowdown.

I suspect when you log on it's trying to authenticate to a server or something.
    HP Dv6500T CTO
    Core 2 Duo 2.40Ghz|4GB RAM|320GB HD|Wi-Fi AGN w/Bluetooth|128MB GeForce 8400M GS|SuperMulti 8X DVD+/-R/RW|HP Imprint Finish + Webcam + Mic|6 Cell & 12 Cell Battery |OS: Windows 7 Ultimate & Mac OS X 10.5.8

Notebook Geek

ok thanks! yeah i uninstalled it and it loads up in about 30 secs now. but now i have another problem. u see, hp wireless asst helped me to turn on and off my wireless lan and bluetooth. hmm i usually don't need to use bluetooth so i always keep it turned off. however whenever i startup my com, bluetooth is automatically turned on. anyway i can turn it off and on whenever i want to? thanks!

oh and dun worry, i still have the file to install HP wireless asst if smth goes wrong.

Notebook Geek

Quote Originally Posted by Thaoster View Post
    I have hp wireless assistant installed and I don't have that problem. I think it's something else. But then I did a fresh installation of XP so I really don't know the exact cause for the slowdown.

I suspect when you log on it's trying to authenticate to a server or something.
    yeah the problem doesn't exist for winXP. my dad's comp has XP installed and he doesn't have that problem so yeah.

Notebook Enthusiast

hmm. My brother's dv8300t has a button on top of the keyboard to turn WLAN and Bluetooth on/off. I'll let you know if I can find any other way. Lets hope someone knows it
    HP Pavilion dv6500t
    nVidia 8400M GS
    2 GB RAM
    120 GB HDD
    DVD RW

NBR Janitor

You can go into the device manager and disable bluetooth if you never use it.
    Desktop: Core i7 960, 1 TB HDD, 6 GB RAM, Radeon HD 6870
    Asus G50vt-X1: P8400, 320 GB 7200 RPM, 4 GB RAM, 9800m GS
    Asus G1s-A1 - Dead Video Card

Notebook Geek

hmm i also have a button to disable or enable wireless. but it's not useful cos it disables both bluetooth and wireless lan. as far as i can find after doing a google search, vista doesn't have any feature which allows u to just turn off bluetooth while keeping wlan turned on.

guess the only option to turn off bluetooth is using device manager...but i wish vista had a button on system tray like XP where u could turn bluetooth on or off.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast