Quantcast Purchasing a computer from Costco?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Notebook Evangelist

Default Purchasing a computer from Costco?

Has anyone ever purchased a computer from Costco? Give us your customer feedback. Was delivery prompt? Did you ever have to use the warranty?

Notebook Guru

Default Re: Purchasing a computer from Costco?

I purchased an HP Pavilion dv9000t (17" laptop) from Costco and I was very satisfied with their service and prompt delivery. I originally bought a dv8000 from them in October 2006, and within a month it was discontinued and replaced with the dv9000 series. The dv8000 had an issue with the key board which would cause a key pressed to stick for a few seconds even after it had been released and returned to its normal position, which caused many problems when it came to gaming, especially FPS. This issue was very common online and updated drivers did not solve it and actually seemed to make it worst. Also I had purchased it with a core duo, just before the big transition into core 2 duo. So a few months later in December I returned it under their 6 month return policy and bought a new dv9000t which had a core 2 duo, no keyboard issues and is a much better product overall.

For the return, I went to the nearest Costco, went to the return line, told them why I wanted to return it, they had someone come and check the laptop, to make sure it was the same one and hadn't been tampered with. Then they took it and credited my credit card with the full amount without any kind of restocking fee. I think it helped that I still had all the original packaging including the original boxes and manuals/CDs. The entire return process from waiting in line to them taking it back took about 15 minutes.

I ordered my new laptop on Dec 18th (monday) and was delivered to my door on Dec 22 (friday). Still have this laptop and very happy with it.

Notebook Evangelist

I too ordered from Costco. In fact, I had placed two orders, since I could not cancel the first order after one day (I mistakenly ordered 64 bit windows on the first machine). So I had to "try out" their return procedure too.

I must say, everything went rather smooth. The units shipped under schedule, and on time and the return of the other unit went well.

Currently using:
    MacBook Air 13" mid 2012 2 GHz Core i7 8GB 512 GB SSD Mountain Lion & Windows 7 via Parallels
    MacBook Air 13" mid 2011 1.8GHz Core i7 4GB 256 GB SSD Lion & Ubuntu Linux via Fusion
    MacBook Air 11.6" late 2010 1.6 GHZ, 320M, 4GB 180 GB SSD Upgraded OWC), OS X Lion

Notebook Evangelist

Quote Originally Posted by ninjafish View Post
    I purchased an HP Pavilion dv9000t (17" laptop) from Costco and I was very satisfied with their service and prompt delivery. I originally bought a dv8000 from them in October 2006, and within a month it was discontinued and replaced with the dv9000 series. The dv8000 had an issue with the key board which would cause a key pressed to stick for a few seconds even after it had been released and returned to its normal position, which caused many problems when it came to gaming, especially FPS. This issue was very common online and updated drivers did not solve it and actually seemed to make it worst. Also I had purchased it with a core duo, just before the big transition into core 2 duo. So a few months later in December I returned it under their 6 month return policy and bought a new dv9000t which had a core 2 duo, no keyboard issues and is a much better product overall.

For the return, I went to the nearest Costco, went to the return line, told them why I wanted to return it, they had someone come and check the laptop, to make sure it was the same one and hadn't been tampered with. Then they took it and credited my credit card with the full amount without any kind of restocking fee. I think it helped that I still had all the original packaging including the original boxes and manuals/CDs. The entire return process from waiting in line to them taking it back took about 15 minutes.

I ordered my new laptop on Dec 18th (monday) and was delivered to my door on Dec 22 (friday). Still have this laptop and very happy with it.
    Are you kidding me?! I thought that 6 months return policy was some sort of typo!

Quote Originally Posted by SP Forsythe View Post
    I too ordered from Costco. In fact, I had placed two orders, since I could not cancel the first order after one day (I mistakenly ordered 64 bit windows on the first machine). So I had to "try out" their return procedure too.

I must say, everything went rather smooth. The units shipped under schedule, and on time and the return of the other unit went well.
    That's great news! I'm no longer doubting service from Costco. Thank you both for your feedback.

Notebook Evangelist

The current policy is for a 90 day return. I had heard they had an older policy that was longer(maybe the 6 mos that was mentioned).

Currently using:
    MacBook Air 13" mid 2012 2 GHz Core i7 8GB 512 GB SSD Mountain Lion & Windows 7 via Parallels
    MacBook Air 13" mid 2011 1.8GHz Core i7 4GB 256 GB SSD Lion & Ubuntu Linux via Fusion
    MacBook Air 11.6" late 2010 1.6 GHZ, 320M, 4GB 180 GB SSD Upgraded OWC), OS X Lion

Notebook Evangelist

Quote Originally Posted by SP Forsythe View Post
    The current policy is for a 90 day return. I had heard they had an older policy that was longer(maybe the 6 mos that was mentioned).
    There is a 90-day warranty with Costco. The 6 month return policy still stands. Click here for more information.

Notebook Enthusiast

Maybe in Canada -- but in US it is 90 days -- There have been news stories about the change from 6 months (I think because people were so surprised that it was 6 months in the first place)

Notebook Guru

I heard that they were considering changing the 6 month policy (which was actually a year or so previously) because of people abusing it and repeatedly returning their computers every 5.5 months. Also now they have a policy in place where if they see more then a 50% return rate on high ticket items, they can deny your return.

Its really too bad that this happens because its a great policy and in my case it saved me from being stuck with a laptop thats considered defective by design (bad keyboard). Had I bought my first from anywhere but Costco I would have been stuck.

Notebook Evangelist

In Canada it is six months, but I think Ninjafish is more interested in the US policy of 90 days.

Costco does double the 1 year warranty to two years, so the purchase of the 2 year extended warranty is of dubious value.

Currently using:

Notebook Guru

Yes it appears that they have changed the return policy since Dec 2006 when I bought mine.

Costco US Site
    THE RETURN POLICY FOR TELEVISIONS, PROJECTORS, COMPUTERS, CAMERAS, CAMCORDERS, IPODS / MP3S, AND CELLULAR PHONES IS 90 DAYS FROM DATE OF PURCHASE.

For COMPUTERS, TELEVISIONS and PROJECTORS, Costco extends the MANUFACTURER'S WARRANTY to two years from date of purchase. Please call Costco Concierge Technical Support @ 1-866-861-0450 for warranty assistance.
    Three months still isn't that bad, you should know by then if you want to keep it or if it is defective like in my case.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast