Quantcast How to burn HP Recovery Disc without using Recovery Manager?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How to burn HP Recovery Disc without using Recovery Manager?

Hi,

I just got a HP tx1020 tablet PC.
    Because I didn't want all those useless software and trials on it, so I immediate use the Vista disc that came with it to reinstall the whole system.
    I was totally forgotten to burn the recovery disc before I do that. But now I want to burn the decovery disc and the recovery manager is not even there, because it's now a brand new Vista without all the HP stuff.
    I was able the get all the drivers from the HP site, but I wasn't able to get back the Recovery Manager and HP Total Care Advisor.
    I still have the 7GB Recovery Partition in my HDD, inside is a folder called Recovery and a bunch of hidden files, but I don't know what I can do with them.
    So, is there any way that I can burn the recovery disc without the manager, or where can I download the Recovery Manager and the Total Care Advisor?
    I don't want to spend $35 to order the recovery disc from HP.

I'm still new to HP computers,
    thanks a lot for helping!

Notebook Guru

Default Re: How to burn HP Recovery Disc without using Recovery Manager?

If you have time, You could run the recovery from start up, let reload the OS the way it came from HP, then make your recovery discs. Afterwards reload Vista the way you have done already. The recovery disc from HP is the same thing you get when you make them yourself. I dont think you will need either of the programs you listed, because what will they do for you? Total Card advisor, I think reminds you to sign up for it, so you get the warranty extension or Accidental damage Protection. And the recovery Manager is there to recover from death, tell you how to recover (F something at start up, I forgot), and make the disk. Honestly, unless you lose the whole HDD, the recovery partition will do all you need. I may be wrong, but I have had a few HP Laptops, and I have used the recovery discs on myown and others, heck I even reverted a DV9000t to XP MCE from vista using HP XP recovery disc for the same model!

The choice is yours.....

Mike
    Asus G2S-A1 (Upgraded HDD 160Gb 7200 rpm) The WUXGA Dual lamp screen is the best laptop screen I have ever seen You should get one!

First, thank you for your advice.
    I did try pressing F11(that's what they say) at start up to go to the recovery screen, and that didn't work, maybe because I'm now using a non-HP Vista and it can't recognize it. But still, I want to burn the recovery disc. Please help!

Notebook Virtuoso

I would say to try using F11 a few more times. As soon as the computer starts up, hold down the key and don't let go (until you are in the recovery system). You may have just missed the timing.
    Activation Backup and Restore (ABR) | Clean Vista Install | Screen DPI | RAM Testing w/ Memtest86+ | Where's my disk space? | Accessing HP Recovery Disc Files

Lenovo W510: i7-720QM, 8GB RAM, 1920x1080 (FHD), Quadro FX880 1GB, 500GB 7200rpm Disk, WiFi UltimateN 6300 AGN, Fingerprint, Webcam, USB3.0, Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Notebook Consultant

The clean vista install may have written over your original MBR (Master Boot Record). This short code on HP machines is an actual boot manager that checks for the F11 key press and boots the pc using the 2nd partition - ie. the recovery one. I'm not aware of any tool to rewrite the HP MBR code again but it may be available somewhere..
    The MBR also contains the partition table itself and information whether a partition is set active and/or bootable so it is installation+hard-drive specific.
    1.HP DV6233SE
    2.HP DV9220US
    3.COMPAQ Evo N400c - 3.5lb!

you can restore the MBR, the procedure is given below and then use the
    F11
    key to restore your system completely. After that you can burn your recovery discs.

This procedure will perform a destructive restore ( delete all data on the hard drive). So make sure you backup your data before starting out.

The recovery partition is visible as
    D:
    after a clean install. It may be another drive letter on your system so make sure you change it to D: . Explore this recovery partition, the files may be hidden so you may need to go to
    Tools > Folder Options > View >
    , select
    show hidden files and folders
    , and uncheck
    Hide Extensions for known File types
    and uncheck
    Hide protected operating system files ( Recommended )
    . Then you must be able to view a folder named
    miniNT
    and inside this folder
    System32

Make sure you have two files inside the D:\miniNT\System32 folder, the first one
    MBRInst.exe
    and the second one
    MBR.ini
    now go to
    Start > RUN >
    type
    D:\miniNT\System32\MBRInst.exe /ini D:\miniNT\System32\MBR.ini /r /q
    and hit enter.

restart your system, your system will boot into recovery mode & resotre your system completely, after which you can create your recovery disks.

hope this helps

regards
    Last edited by cluelessME; 29th August 2007 at 04:16 AM.

man i've the same problem and i tried what u suggested but couldn't locate miniNT folder
    Any other ideas?

I had the same issue and the above method did not work (couldnt find MiniNT?). I used the following method and it worked perfectly:

You need to set your HP Recovery Partition (on mine it was the D drive) to the active partition. That way, upon boot up it will auto go into the restore without the need for hitting F11.

After its done the restore everything will be back to normal with the Vista OS being set back to active and auto booting the way it was out of the box. From here you can make the recovery disks as you normally would, avoiding future hastle.

I set the active partion in XP as thats what I formatted and installed before. Instructions for doing it in Vista (or any other OS) should be easily findable with a google search...

Either way - set the active partition to the recovery partition and your good to go! Hope this helps!

Notebook Enthusiast

Man thanks I was going nuts trying to restore my friends HP laptop and this seems like it is working now.
    Xtremesystems.org Member with OC records
    E6400 running at 4.1 gig
    E6600 running at 4.2 gig

Took a while to find but here is the link to the instructions from Microsoft to set the active partition in Vista.

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...d1ffd1033.mspx

I marked the recovery partition (D) as active and then rebooted. It immediately came up with the Recovery Manager.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast