Quantcast Utility to set Battery thresholds HP?

Closed Thread
    Notebook Enthusiast

Default Utility to set Battery thresholds HP?

I have a IBM/Levono thinkpads for work and an new HP laptop for home running Vista. On the thinkpad, you can set the battery threshold to charge the battery up to a certain % and stop there to prevent the battery being continuously charged to 100% all the time and killing the battery .

Do HP notebooks have a similar battery threshold utility? Or, is there a way to add this capability with a 3rd party utility or a Powertoy?

Thanks

Notebook Evangelist

Default Re: Utility to set Battery thresholds HP?

I second this question. That's what I want to know as well.
    All big corporations screw you, though differently.

Notebook Consultant

well... they have that on the business line.... i mean NOT the utility but my nx9420 is configured so that it does not charge unless it's lower than 90%...

keeps battery wear down.
    dream machine...

Notebook Consultant

When charging my DV2000T, the battery charging light on the front of the laptop goes off when the battery is charged at 100%. Am I the only one noticing this or is it still charging eventhough the light is off?
    DV2KT, Vista Bus., C2D T7200 2.0GHz/4MB L2Cache, 14.1" WXGA BV WS 1280x800, 128MB NVIDIA GeForce Go 7200, HP Imprint Finish + Mic + Webcam, 2GB DDR2, 160GB 5400RPM, LS Super Multi 8X DVD+/-RW w/Double Layer, Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network w/Bluetooth, 12 Cell Battery www.ratuita.com, www.1and1.com/?k_id=13520023, www.Toys4Free.com/40956

Notebook Consultant

no... that is not the issue here...

tweety18873: your laptop is fine!!!

------

if you do not use the battery ... even when inside the laptop is discharges slowly... it is normal for li-ion...

now... most laptops if they read anything but 100% they start charging ... which is WORNG... it causes the battery to be under strain when in fact it's not needed. So ... modern laptops .. and most business line... do not react to the battery meter unless it is lower than a threshold... 90% for some...

the problem is that sometimes the computer reads the battery wrong causing it to sometimes ALWAYS report 99%... so the laptop keeps charging the battery forever when the battery is in fact full...
    dream machine...

Notebook Enthusiast

So, there is no utility, either HP or 3rd party? Can the Levono utility be used? if so, how?

Thanks

Notebook Evangelist

I don't think so. The battery charging is triggered by circuit inside the battery. Laptop motherboard can't do much about it. At least, HP laptop like that. HP battery is set to 90~91% threshold. Even you unplug AC from your laptop for a few second and plug it back, it won't start charging.

It totally depends on the battery self discharging rate. Mine just has bad luck, the battery will automatically recharging every week even I don't use battery at all. This means my battery cell deprecates 10% within 6 days, which doesn't meet average battery holding criteria. It should be around 6% for 10 days or less.
    Compaq V3000Z AMD MK-36 2.0G, 2GB DDR2@677, Nvidia Go6150, 80GB 5400RPM SATA HDD.
    Dual OS: WinXP SP2 and Ubuntu 7.10 happy sound