Quantcast Clean Vista install WITH NO ACTIVATION - Page 203

View Poll Results: Did this work for you?

Voters
551. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

455 82.58%
  • No

96 17.42%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 203 of 216 FirstFirst ... 103153193199200201202203204205206207213 ... LastLast
Results 2,021 to 2,030 of 2160
    Notebook Consultant

Default Re: Clean Vista install WITH NO ACTIVATION

Warning:
    If you installed the HP QuickPlay software, then do NOT disable the Windows Error Reporting service. Without that service, you will get an error from qpservice.exe every time you shutdown or restart the computer. The TweakHound site that I mentioned earlier says that it is safe to disable that service, but apparently that is not the case with QuickPlay.

See this thread for more info:
    QuickPlay is dependent on Windows Error Reporting Service
    Last edited by chumley; 20th June 2009 at 05:14 PM.

Notebook Enthusiast

Shoot... has anyone been able to locate an OEM Vista 64-bit install disc? I can't find one anywhere (other than paying full price... but I already bought the key). Any leads would be greatly appreciated!

Wise One

Quote Originally Posted by townsbg View Post
    A search of that file didn't find it. Where should that be?
    Quote Originally Posted by orev View Post
    From the ABR section on the main guide:

I don't know of another tool that does it, but you might try saving the tokens.dat file from the already installed version and then copying it back after you reinstall.
    If you can't find this file, try doing a google search for "OEMCertAutoInstaller.exe". It is a simple script/prog that can insert any of 31 diff tokens.dat into your install- simple to use. Or download it HERE. I guarantee it works!!!

Also, a retail Vista disk can be used as an ANYTIME UpGrade disk these days. Since SP1 is out esp. just boot w/ the retail disk and choose "Upgrade, not Custom". Don't install a serial during install. Then after completion, use the ABR tool to insert your oem serial and certificate into your install and it's activated and you're good to go.
    Last edited by nobscot6; 24th June 2009 at 01:27 AM. Reason: more information

Notebook Guru

I have a question regarding the windows 7 upgrade preorder deal. First off I own a dv9700, if I buy the windows 7 upgrade disc can I do a clean install using windows 7? Will the windows 7 upgrade disc even work for the type of license I have with this notebook? What about if I were to completely format my HD and put the windows 7 RC1 on my notebook, can I then simply activate the RC1 with the windows 7 upgrade disc when I get it? Hopefully these questions make sense, I am quite confused about how this program works right now.
    Thanks for your help,
    Dan

Notebook Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_555 View Post
    I have a question regarding the windows 7 upgrade preorder deal. First off I own a dv9700, if I buy the windows 7 upgrade disc can I do a clean install using windows 7? Will the windows 7 upgrade disc even work for the type of license I have with this notebook? What about if I were to completely format my HD and put the windows 7 RC1 on my notebook, can I then simply activate the RC1 with the windows 7 upgrade disc when I get it? Hopefully these questions make sense, I am quite confused about how this program works right now.
    Thanks for your help,
    Dan
    There;s no way to know how the W7 upgrade will work. This thread is only about installing Vista.
    Activation Backup and Restore (ABR) | Clean Vista Install | Screen DPI | RAM Testing w/ Memtest86+ | Where's my disk space? | Accessing HP Recovery Disc Files

Lenovo W510: i7-720QM, 8GB RAM, 1920x1080 (FHD), Quadro FX880 1GB, 500GB 7200rpm Disk, WiFi UltimateN 6300 AGN, Fingerprint, Webcam, USB3.0, Windows 7 Ultimate x64

I get a message that PERL58.DLL is missing. Do I need to install PERL ?
    Thanks

Notebook Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by thick_guy_9 View Post
    I get a message that PERL58.DLL is missing. Do I need to install PERL ?
    Thanks
    You are probably referring to ABR. Please download the file again and try to run it. Make sure you have disabled anti-virus before running it, as that might interfere with the program when it runs.
    Activation Backup and Restore (ABR) | Clean Vista Install | Screen DPI | RAM Testing w/ Memtest86+ | Where's my disk space? | Accessing HP Recovery Disc Files

Lenovo W510: i7-720QM, 8GB RAM, 1920x1080 (FHD), Quadro FX880 1GB, 500GB 7200rpm Disk, WiFi UltimateN 6300 AGN, Fingerprint, Webcam, USB3.0, Windows 7 Ultimate x64

I downloaded 1.3 beta. disabled Anti-virus.
    THere is a PERL incompatibility. From where did you download your PERL and which version is it?
    ======= UPDATE ========

The problem in my case was that Oracle had its own set up of PERL. So I uninstalled Oracle. I had already installed version 5.6 of PERL (from Active state archive). The default path where this gets installed is C:\PERL. The backup program looks for this path.

Anyway, the program took a backup of my activation.

Finally, I installed VISTA PROFESSIONAL with the DELL Reinstallation DVD, and the surprise was that it was already activated!!

Thanks anyways.
    Last edited by thick_guy_9; 9th July 2009 at 03:26 AM. Reason: Correction

Notebook Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by thick_guy_9 View Post
    I downloaded 1.3 beta. disabled Anti-virus.
    THere is a PERL incompatibility. From where did you download your PERL and which version is it?
    ======= UPDATE ========

The problem in my case was that Oracle had its own set up of PERL. So I uninstalled Oracle. I had already installed version 5.6 of PERL (from Active state archive). The default path where this gets installed is C:\PERL. The backup program looks for this path.

Anyway, the program took a backup of my activation.

Finally, I installed VISTA PROFESSIONAL with the DELL Reinstallation DVD, and the surprise was that it was already activated!!

Thanks anyways.
    1.3 beta? There is no such version. The highest release is 1.0. Can you tell me where you downloaded that version?

Notebook Guru

Orev, I wish I could see the look on your face