Quantcast Using the DMI utility from HP to Modify HWBOM number for System Recovery DVD

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Notebook Consultant

Default Using the DMI utility from HP to Modify HWBOM number for System Recovery DVD

I am trying to modify the HWBROM number on a dv9200t series notebook so a 64-bit recovery dvd can be used instead of the 32-bit recovery dvd it was originally shipped with. I have both restore dvd's. I have placed a copy of the utility I'm playing with HERE. I found it on one of the restore dvd's. You can identify your own Motherboard DMI with this utility "run from a bootable cd" and/or modify it. I also found an HP instruction manual HERE.

I don't know if anyone has tried this?

I'm thinking it's just a matter of changing 3 numbers so the other restore dvd with a different software build will work. Any comments? Is it gonna work?
    I figure the worst that can happen is I'll have to put my old number back to use my original 32-bit restore dvd once again.

Usage: HDD_DMI [/disk n] /clear|display|output|write [/output] [/quiet|verbose]
    Options: /disk n use physical drive n [1..9] (default:1)

/clear Clear all potential checksummed sectors and exit
    /clear62 Clear all potential checksummed (except sect 63) sectors
    /clearsect Clear the checksummed sector and exit
    /display Display hard drive DMI information
    /write Write the OEM and Manufacturer information to the disk
    /output Print output to the file HddDMI.TXT instead of the console
    /updateini search the rp and update the mbr.ini with dmi infos
    /Quiet Quiet
    /Verbose ...guess

Notebook Guru

Default Re: Using the DMI utility from HP to Modify HWBOM number for System Recovery DVD

The link you give us is for a desktop unit.
    Are you sure that you can do the same thing with a laptop?

My co-worker lappy went to the repair line and they changed the MB so his Recovery disks fails to work after. He sent it again to get that fixed.

Notebook Consultant

Default Re: Using the DMI utility from HP to Modify HWBOM number for System Recovery DVD

I have a notebook and found the file on my recovery partitian?
    I haven't gotten it to work, but I don't know what I'm doing.

Why do you say it's for a desktop unit?
    I am hoping someone who knows or has a utility to do this will post to the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by swissair View Post
    The link you give us is for a desktop unit.
    Are you sure that you can do the same thing with a laptop?

My co-worker lappy went to the repair line and they changed the MB so his Recovery disks fails to work after. He sent it again to get that fixed.
    Last edited by mbmalone; 12th April 2007 at 09:36 PM.

Hi mbmalone,

I've the same problem ...

But I don't manage to download HDD_DMI :
    . your link http://michaelusa.org/HPDMI/HDD_DMI.EXE does not work any more,
    . www.techport.info/reflib/tattoo/dnld_tattoos.htm needs login/password that nobody have ...

Thanks for your answers

Notebook Consultant

michaelusa.org no longer exists.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by BIOMAN44 View Post
    Hi mbmalone,

I've the same problem ...

But I don't manage to download HDD_DMI :
    . your link http://michaelusa.org/HPDMI/HDD_DMI.EXE does not work any more,
    . www.techport.info/reflib/tattoo/dnld_tattoos.htm needs login/password that nobody have ...

Thanks for your answers

Notebook Consultant

why would you want to install this... install the retail vista use command promt to install the certificate and volume key from 32 bit... enjoy 64 bit :d
    dream machine...

Quote Originally Posted by mbmalone View Post
    michaelusa.org no longer exists
    Is there another way to get this HDD_DMI for HP DV9005ea ?????

Quote Originally Posted by samov View Post
    why would you want to install this... install the retail vista use command promt to install the certificate and volume key from 32 bit... enjoy 64 bit :d
    In France, we can load Vista Coccinnelle. But many people are disappointed by it and trying to return to XP ...
    I bought XP Home OEM with my DV9005ea and I am glad with it (programs, drivers, etc.) : I would be able to install the native version on another drive for use in the same notebook, but the tattoo prevent me to do it ...

I need some help ...

Notebook Virtuoso

@mbmalone:
    Are you doing this out of curiosity or because you want 64bit? If you just want 64bit, all you need are the Install disks and a backup of your reg key and activation. See my clean install guide for details on all of that.
    Activation Backup and Restore (ABR) | Clean Vista Install | Screen DPI | RAM Testing w/ Memtest86+ | Where's my disk space? | Accessing HP Recovery Disc Files

Lenovo W510: i7-720QM, 8GB RAM, 1920x1080 (FHD), Quadro FX880 1GB, 500GB 7200rpm Disk, WiFi UltimateN 6300 AGN, Fingerprint, Webcam, USB3.0, Windows 7 Ultimate x64

I try to reinstall my DVD restauration to an another drive which could be replace my 1st one ...

According to the mbmalone's doc, I need to clearing DMI ....

I finally get the HDD_DMI utility which displays correctly my DMI ... BUT whether I clear it (I've tried /clear, /clear62 and /clearsect), the restauration boot but crash (blue screen).

Which steps to do ?

Thinks for your help ...

Notebook Consultant

I tried doing all of this without finally achieving success and came to the ultimate realization that it was faster and easier to just install Vista from scratch, then go to HP and lookup my model to download all the HP software. I also achieved the added benefit of now having Vista Ultimate instead of Vista Home Edition.

Here is the link I used to get the HP software for my model.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s...dlc=en&lang=en

kind regards,
    Last edited by mbmalone; 3rd February 2008 at 05:01 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast