Quantcast Charging battery before first time use?

Closed Thread
    Notebook Consultant

Default Charging battery before first time use?

Got UPS notification my new 8430 has been deliverd and is waiting for me to get home....yeah!

Quick Battery question: Does the laptop need to be completely charged before using to maximize battery life? Can you turn on the laptop while the battery is charging or is it best to let it completely charge the first time around? Thanks.
    2009 Specialized Epic Sworks and HP NC8430

Notebook Evangelist

Default Re: Charging battery before first time use?

Eh.. rules of thumb is to let the battery charge for a full 12 hours before using... that is, the last time I remembered... it's been a while since I've read the sheet of paper that comes with the batteries =P

Also, I think you're suppose to leave the laptop off while charging. I could be wrong though...

Core i7 920|P6T Deluxe V2|HD 5870|X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional|12 GB DDR3 1600|X-25M 80 GB|2 x 160 GB RAID 0|2 x 1.5 TB RAID 1|RocketRaid 640 with 2 x 3 TB RAID 1|Corsair HX850 WATT PSU|Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit|Silverstone TJ-09BW w/ USB 3.0 mod
    FX8320|Crosshair V Formula-Z|R9 270X|8 GB DDR3 1600|2 x 250 GB RAID 0|SeaSonic SSR-650RM PSU|Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit|SilverStone LC10B-E USB 3.0
    HP ENVY 17-1011NR|Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
    Mid 2011 iMac 21.5"|OS X 11.8

Notebook Consultant

Well I am home. This lappy looks and feels solid. The manual is not clear at all and it seems that it would be okay to just turn it on. Anyone else with an opinion? Thanks.

-Took about an hour for battery charging light to go off...

I was good and waited to be safe!

-Screen is absolutetly gorgeous... Way way better than my lcd by samsung (931C). Midtones and greys are fantastically well rendered. Image and text is super crisp. It's making me hate my samsung! Or at least showing me I really need to recalibrate this thing. I'll try writing a mini review once I am done with burning the recovery disc (boy is that slow)...
    Last edited by bellullabob; 3rd April 2007 at 08:40 PM. Reason: new info..
    2009 Specialized Epic Sworks and HP NC8430

Notebook Enthusiast

actually there's no need to charge a battery for that long even on the first charge. Go read the Battery Guide. This type of battery (lithium based) doesn't have "memory"... meaning it doesn't matter if you had fully charged it the first or if you charged it only half way. Charging it for 12 hours the first time will not increase the battery life.

Notebook Geek

When i received my laptop I just plugged it up to the wall and got on it and started to delete the bloat ware and installing updates.