Quantcast Compaq Presario C500 Headphone Jack Problem

Closed Thread
    adx
    Notebook Enthusiast

Default Compaq Presario C500 Headphone Jack Problem

Hi guys,

As the title above, headphone jack is not working and produce no sound at all. The audio device is Conexant High Definition Audio. Internal speaker working fine and will mute if the headphone is in place but there's no sound coming out from headphone or my external speaker. Is this just a driver problem or hardware problem? Can we tell?

One more thing, my lappy model is C504TU on the HP website there's no driver listed for this model. Any suggestion where can I download the driver?

Thanks.

election 2008

Default Re: Compaq Presario C500 Headphone Jack Problem

So the internal speaker(s) do not stop playing sound when you insert a headphone into the 3.5mm jack? Sounds like there is a physical, hardware issue.
    | Black Dell m1330 |T7500|3GB|LED WXGA+|8400GS|4965/BT/AT&T|1GB ITM|
    | acer c314xmi tablet pc | ubuntu 8.04b hardy |

help shelter pets without spending a penny
    please vote for the US election(s) in 2008 if you can

adx
    Notebook Enthusiast

No, that's not the case. The internal speakers DO stop playing sound when I insert the headphone into the jack. So, can we say that this is a driver problem? Any suggestion?

election 2008

@adx - Why don't you try uninstalling the driver via Hardware Devices and rebooting the computer...the driver should return and see if all goes well.
    | Black Dell m1330 |T7500|3GB|LED WXGA+|8400GS|4965/BT/AT&T|1GB ITM|
    | acer c314xmi tablet pc | ubuntu 8.04b hardy |

help shelter pets without spending a penny
    please vote for the US election(s) in 2008 if you can

Notebook Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by adx View Post
    No, that's not the case. The internal speakers DO stop playing sound when I insert the headphone into the jack. So, can we say that this is a driver problem? Any suggestion?
    Right click your volume icon in the system tray and select "open volume mixer". Ensure the tab "device" has the internal speaker/headphones slider up to a usable level.

adx
    Notebook Enthusiast

@adx - Why don't you try uninstalling the driver via Hardware Devices and rebooting the computer...the driver should return and see if all goes well.

Tried that several times. Still the same. My main concern is the driver itself. As I stated in the first post, there's no driver listed under this particular model so I've download and install the driver suggested by HP online chat. It's also quite strange that it give me error "can't find the device media" during the installation, so the HP guy had instructed me to do the manual installation (update driver) from Device Manager. I'm happy that finally I can hear some sound but today I found that it's not working via headphone jack.

Everything else run just fine. This is the only problem and I'm dying to hear some sound from my new speakers.

adx
    Notebook Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by sandt38 View Post
    Right click your volume icon in the system tray and select "open volume mixer". Ensure the tab "device" has the internal speaker/headphones slider up to a usable level.
    Right click volume icon (small speaker icon) in system tray and I got "Open Volume Control" and "Adjust Audio Properties" only. There's no "Open Volume mixer". Still I go ahead and select "Open Volume Control", but I don't have "speaker/headphones". Mine has Volume Control, Wave, SW Synth, CD Audio, Mic In Volume. Something wrong?

Edit: Sorry, you might refer to WinVista. I've WinXP installed.
    Last edited by adx; 15th March 2007 at 12:46 PM.