Quantcast Compaq X6000 - Page 13

Closed Thread
Page 13 of 102 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363 ... LastLast

Thread: Compaq X6000

Notebook Consultant

I'm curious tho, is there any place in this laptop to install a second Hard Drive? I figure there isn't cause it's not mentioned anywhere on the specs or options when you build it.

Also, what memory does it take, I mean, how many pins? I thought I read somewhere in these posts that it's 200 pin memory, I keep seeing 240 pin memory advertised at different places.

Former Celeron 500mhz user, 192 meg ram, 6 gig hd, 8 meg ati video, hehe

Notebook Consultant

quote:
    Originally posted by Shadowzone
    [br]I'm curious tho, is there any place in this laptop to install a second Hard Drive? I figure there isn't cause it's not mentioned anywhere on the specs or options when you build it.

Also, what memory does it take, I mean, how many pins? I thought I read somewhere in these posts that it's 200 pin memory, I keep seeing 240 pin memory advertised at different places.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-144-183&depa=0

http://www.pagecomputers.com/cgi-bin/page/B1535697.html

X6000 P-4 3.2GHz 2gigs PC2 4200(533MHz)Ram 7200RPM 60 gig HHD 8x DVD Burner and the Brightview!

Notebook Consultant

quote:
    [br]I'm curious tho, is there any place in this laptop to install a second Hard Drive? I figure there isn't cause it's not mentioned anywhere on the specs or options when you build it.

If you read the earlier posts of the thread tacjam mentions where to buy memory and gives a link. As far as the second HD goes, the notebook is heavy enough as it is. You may want to just go external for extra storage[]

Soon to be X6000 owner

EX Dell I9200 Owner

Notebook Consultant

quote:
    Originally posted by JosephCruz
    [br]
    quote:

If you read the earlier posts of the thread tacjam mentions where to buy memory and gives a link. As far as the second HD goes, the notebook is heavy enough as it is. You may want to just go external for extra storage[]

Soon to be X6000 owner

EX Dell I9200 Owner

no place for a second HHD, LOL prolly a good thing or I would be shooting for a raid 0 config.

X6000 P-4 3.2GHz 2gigs PC2 4200(533MHz)Ram 7200RPM 60 gig HHD 8x DVD Burner and the Brightview!

Notebook Consultant

Alright

Lets talk linux. Has anyone put linux on the x6000? Are there distro's that are better for this notebook than others? Is there full driver support for linux?

Please let me know.

Soon to be X6000 owner

EX Dell I9200 Owner

Az2
    Notebook Enthusiast

quote:
    Originally posted by gauntlet4342
    [br]Nice pics Az2. How do you like that Audigy PCIMA card? I'm thinking of getting one for my laptop when it comes in. I think it may be a better option than buying the compaq media cable offer on the HP site. Does the card have optical or spdif out? I plan on running the cable to my Klipsch DD-5.1 decoder box. I'm running the original Pro Media 5.1's at home. These are some killer speakers, I can only imagine what the updated Ultra's sound like.

Thanks for the info on the cooler, I may need to get one also.

Ordered: Compaq x6000, 3.0ghz, SXGA+, 512mb, Ati x600 256, 60gig 7200, WiFi+Bluetooth

it only has connections for front, rear and center speakers, a headphone jack and a microphone one

the sound quality of it, well, it puts the onboard chip to shame

when using the card, you cant use the internal speakers of the laptop
    only headphones or external speakers

it is an amazing little card

Great forum, couldn't find anyone else discussing the zd8000 and X6000 to this detail.

I am still undecided between the 2. The extras in the zd according to the reps there
    - the option of a Media Center OS and the external TV tuner that comes along with it.
    - Some extra S/W (not sure what)
    Configged the 2 to almost identical specs except the OS, diff = $300 ($100 MIR(or the lack of it) + $200 OS). Whoppa!

Questions.
    1. What possible uses can we put this external TV tuner to?
    2. Does it work internationally, meaning can I use it in, say Europe or Asia (NTSC/PAL?)
    3. What does the Media Center OS offer?

May the notebook Gods smile on this forum.

Notebook Consultant

quote:
    Originally posted by dah_cool_one
    [br]Great forum, couldn't find anyone else discussing the zd8000 and X6000 to this detail.

I am still undecided between the 2. The extras in the zd according to the reps there
    - the option of a Media Center OS and the external TV tuner that comes along with it.
    Configged the 2 to almost identical specs except the OS, diff = $300 ($100 MIR(or the lack of it) + $200 OS). Whoppa!

Questions.
    2. Does it work internationally, meaning can I use it in, say Europe or Asia (NTSC/PAL?)

Ok, this is a biggie.

I really can't help you much on the TV tuner issue, because I see it as a waste personally. So I haven't put any real thought into it.

However Media Center OS is another story. MCOS is in my opinion the biggest waste of money. Its just windows XP dressed up. It really has no additional functionality that you can't get for free with XP. Definately not worth the upgrade price unless its free. All the media center os is gui-fy the management system of your entertainment files like pictures, music, videos' ect and places them in easy to use point and click menu's for you. For some reason microsoft is pretty proud of themselves for doing what we have been doing for years with out MCOS. However if you like the color gui thingy here you go the free and just as effective version.

http://mediaportal.sourceforge.net/

Download this program and take it for a test run. I hope this helps you out. I personally would go buy a $3000 plasma HDTV to watch TV on as opposed to a $1500 notebook[]. You would probably argue, that isn't very portable though, and your right, but I don't watch tv unless im in my recliner with my feet up. So portability isn't an issue for me[]

If your a linux person there are other options out there as well for linux on sourceforge.net, I haven't really got into the linux side yet since my x6000 isn't scheduled to ship til the 21st. I believe mythtv was one option for linux though.

Soon to be X6000 owner

EX Dell I9200 Owner

Notebook Consultant

quote:
    Originally posted by dah_cool_one
    [br]Great forum, couldn't find anyone else discussing the zd8000 and X6000 to this detail.

Questions.

1) TV tuner has PVR (personal video recorder) which allows you to record and time shift TV programs like TIVO. It also has an MPEG2 decoder built in.

2) The Adaptec dual TV tuner(model AVC-3610) It's an OEM product and I couldn't find any info on that. I did read somewhere that it supports NTSC/PAL/SECAM...but I can't remember where.

3)offers: Watching and recording TV on your PC and sharing its digital media files--photos, music, and video--with the other screens and TVs in your home.

When it comes right down to it, convenience is simply the issue with the ZD8000, however if you can't find any real use for the tv tuner features, by all means go with the X6000 or ZD8000 without the MCE OS. The ideal use of the ZD8000 with MCE is for someone who lives in a small space, such as a dorm, or someone who simply enjoys watching television while doing their work, since the screen size is big enough. Right now, IMO that is who this system is designed for. If you really don't think you will use the TV features, then don't get. I've read many posts from people who haven't even taken their tuner out of the box.

ZD8000|MCE 2005 ~ 3.2ghz HT ~ 17" WSXGA BrightView (1680x1050) ~ 1GB DDR2 PC2-4200 ~ 60GB 7200RPM HD ~ 256MB ATI X600 ~ 54G 802.11B/G WLAN & Bluetooth ~ 8x DVD+RW/-R Combo DL drive