Quantcast *HP ZBook 14 Owners Lounge*

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: *HP ZBook 14 Owners Lounge*

Notebook Deity

Default *HP ZBook 14 Owners Lounge*

I just received my HP ZBook 14 a few days ago (1920x1080 screen, i74600U, 240GB SSD). So far, I'm very happy with it.

Some first impressions, without having really used it yet:

Extremely portable and easy to carry around, not far off my Lenovo X1C (didn't check the actual weight yet to see if it's really 3.6lbs as claimed).

Touch pad is good and has dedicated touch pad buttons as well as ones for the pointing stick.

Keyboard is solid: different key style and layout from the Lenovo X1C. The keys are raised slightly, which lets backlight through around them, but no flex at all (feels much better than I expected). I don't like having the vertical column of home/pg-up/pg-dn/end keys on the extreme right of the keyboard with the enter/shift/\/backspace keys that I use all the time to their left...the different keyboard layouts will drive me crazy.

Nicely designed ethernet port, which latches out when the cable is connected -- the laptop is about as thin as it could be with ethernet. Not sure I like the power cord on the right hand side, and the connector sticks out about an inch.

Came with Win Pro 7 installed (includes upgrade discs to Win 8). There was only about 133GB of free space (I think...) on the SSD after Windows and about 14GB for HP recovery/tools.

Tool-less removable bottom, which allows swapping batteries, is really nice (though it was hard to find the part number from HP for a spare battery).

Came with a lot of HP software for security/encryption -- probably useful for some, but more than I need, so I uninstalled the client security, after which I couldn't access the fingerprint reader, so I had to reinstall the HP client security. Also came with complimentary PDF Complete Corporate Edition software, which was a nice plus.

The FHD screen is sharp with good colors and wide viewing angle. I have some light bleed on the lower left part of the screen, but I see it only against a black background.

Some suggestions that it's an ugly laptop, but I think it looks attractive, even if the one-inch black border around the lid doesn't quite work aesthetically.

Notebook Deity

Default Re: *HP ZBook 14 Owners Lounge*

Zbook 14 owner, just checking in. :-)

Almost identical opinions here (same backlight bleed), although I actually like the column of keys on the right - not because of having yet another layout to get used to (although I never overreach so their presence isn't an issue in that way), but simply because they're there in the first place. I absolutely hate having to FN + arrow to get those commands, because I use them all the time, so for me this was a selling feature. Plus, they allow the arrow keys to be full sized (well, at least horizontally), and even larger for up/down which is welcome since they're so skimpy vertically (like practically every other laptop keyboard these days).

This is actually a very similar layout to what Lenovo uses on their Ideapad line. I'm just glad the power key isn't the top right key like on Asus, because I also use DELETE all the time and I doubt I could get used to that key shutting down the system!

I actually find the Ethernet port a bit humorous - it's a nice compact design, yes, but when open it doesn't actually extend any lower than the fixed docking station connector that hangs down right beside it. So, there was really no need for the fancy hinge design if they merely extended the docking bumpout another inch!

Overall a nicely designed laptop, although I do wish the body was carbon fiber.
    Last edited by Sunfox; 7th February 2014 at 10:25 AM.

I also just got mine, I went for the non ssd and 4gb Ram version as the cost with SSD was too high, so I added my 16GB Crucial Ram and 500GB Samsung SSD afterwards and it was still cheaper than the version HP sell with 240GB SSD and 8GB Ram. The added bonus is the version they ship with the normal HDD also comes with a NGFF 32gb SSD in raid to speed up the spindle based HDD. So now I had 2 SSD's it might be only 32GB but good for files etc. I also have the same backlight bleed mainly towards the bottom of the screen. But the FHD screen in matte is gorgeous. I agree about the power socket being on the right is a bit tedious. But a very compact and versatile machine. I will add a 4g LTE internal card, slice battery, the docking station and a nice HP leather sleeve to finish it all off... awsome!!!

Notebook Consultant

I received the fully spec'd model last Thursday, took it out of the box, tried to power it on, no luck. Plugged it in for about two hours, tried to boot it and nothing. When charging, the charging light doesn't work. Tried all the normal tricks - removing battery and using only AC, removing AC and only using battery, using a different charger, holding down power button for 30 secs without battery or AC, etc, etc and nothing. Not a light on the thing has lit up and not any sense of life.

Obviously sending for an exchange.

Don't know about backlight bleeding - obviously - but did notice that the rubber around the inside of the display was loose at the corners and easily could have been pulled off. Otherwise it was a tight and well-built laptop.

Notebook Evangelist

Whats the paint work like on this. I seen other hp with the same design where the silver paint edges have rubbed off. is the design the same with the zbook 14?

Currently own
    W230st | i7-4700MQ | 16 GB Kingston 1600 MHz RAM | 765m GTX GDDR5 | SM841 mSATA 512GB | 750gb WD 6Gbs HHD | Wireless-AC 7260
    Thinkpad E320 with upgraded i7 2630qm | AMD 6630m DDR3 | 16 GB Kingston 1333 MHz RAM | mSATA 128GB | 500gb HHD

Previously owned Sony 3D VPCF2190X 540m GT, Asus U46SV 540m GT & Sony VPC-SA2C5E &
    VPCSA25GX, Asus G53jw, Lenovo X120e, Asus G73jh & G60vx, Acer AS1551, HP 8530w, Asus G51vx, Lenovo T61p, HP 8510w & 8510p, since 2007

Notebook Deity

I imagine that can still happen. But thankfully unlike the 840 G1 the paint on the ZBook is dark grey / black, and so is the material beneath (don't ask how I know).

Notebook Enthusiast

Still torn between a Zbook 14 and a 1040 G1. I read somewhere that the Zbook 14 has some sharp edges that will cut into the wrist. Can someone confirm/reject that? Since I'm typing a lot, it is quite relevant for me and if there were some sharp edges, it would pull me to the 1040 G1 ...

Thanks in advance for any comments!

Notebook Deity

Quote Originally Posted by jerendra View Post
    I read somewhere that the Zbook 14 has some sharp edges that will cut into the wrist.
    It does has "V"-shape front edge, like many ultrabook-type notebooks, but mine (anyway) isn't sharp at all. There's a thin rounded metal rim that encloses the keyboard face-plate but they join smoothly. This picture gives a good idea:

http://myzone.tgreview.netdna-cdn.co...4-1024x768.jpg

I'd say the ZBook is excellent for typing and that wouldn't be a reason to prefer the Folio 1040 G1 over the ZBook (instead it would be whether you want more portability vs. discrete graphics etc.).

Notebook Enthusiast

@Thecla: Thank you for your prompt response. I was worried when I was reading about this "issue" somewhere because I really hated the sharp edges on the MacBook Pro unibody.

It seems to me that the ZBook will be the perfect computer for me. I wasn't sure whether I should go for the 1040 G1 but the tradeoffs for just 100 grams of weight gain doesn't make to much sense - at least not for me.

Ist the light bleed a big issue? I have it on all of my Thinkpads and it really bothers me.

Notebook Deity

Quote Originally Posted by jerendra View Post
    Is the light bleed a big issue? I have it on all of my Thinkpads and it really bothers me.
    It's not an issue for me -- I can't see it at all under normal use, even with the screen brightness turned down all the way. But it is definitely visible when I use dead pixel buddy to view a completely black screen (mostly around the bottom of the screen in maybe a half-inch radius semi-circle near the left hinge, and a little bit near the right hinge). I don't know if that would bother you, or if it's worse/better in other units.

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast