Quantcast EliteBook NightLight mod

+ Reply to Thread
    Notebook Virtuoso

Default EliteBook NightLight mod

More of a simple hack than a mod, really, but it made the NightLight on my 6930p much more useful, so I thought I'd share.

Basically, the diffusor in the NightLight assembly can be removed, which results in considerably better keyboard illumination. Possible downsides are increased chance of having it shine in your eye (which the diffusor is probably supposed to help prevent), and less protection for the LED inside. Personally I haven't had any problems with it for several months, but YMMV.

While it's possible to remove the diffusor without dismantling the display assembly, I don't recommend it - it's much harder to apply the necessary pressure and you might damage the NightLight in the process. Instead, start by removing the display bezel and moving the display itself away from the back panel. Refer to your model's service guide for detailed instructions. There's no need to remove the display assembly from the rest of the notebook, and I even did it with the notebook running - there's no vital exposed electronic components in the display assembly, so as long as you're careful not to damage the display itself or any cables, you should be fine.

Once you've opened up the display assembly, you should have the NightLight mechanism in plain sight. Here's what it looks like on my 6930p:

It'll probably be different on xx40 series models, which have the NightLight and its release button combined into one. In any case, gently lift the assembly out, making sure not to pull on the cable too much. Then, remove the circuit board containing the LED and on/off switch from the housing (forgot to take a picture of this stage).

The housing itself looks like this (propped up on a pair of tweezers to get a better angle):

The translucent part in the front is the diffusor. To remove it, simply apply pressure to one of the tabs on either side, through slits in the housing. Be careful not to damage the housing itself, because the parts are pretty small. Also, try to aim it so that if the diffusor pops out, you'll be able to find it. I spent a good 5 minutes looking for it after it flew across the room.

Here's the housing with the diffusor removed:

After this, just reverse the steps above - pop the small PCB back into the housing; replace the NightLight in its position, making sure the spring is seated properly; and reassemble the display. Make sure to keep the diffusor in case you need/want to put it back in. You don't have to take the display apart for that - putting it in is much easier than taking it out.

Here's the before and after shots with my 6930p. There's a tad more ambient light in the second picture which might exaggerate the difference slightly, but overall it's still quite an improvement.

Before:

After:

Hope someone finds this useful.
    Last edited by Indrek; 14th June 2012 at 09:46 PM.
    Proofread your posts carefully to see if you any words out.

HP EliteBook 6930p resources: Windows 8.1 compatibility | NightLight brightness mod | scrolling with trackpoint | half-size WLAN card

jke
    Notebook Enthusiast

Default Re: EliteBook NightLight mod

I found this to be very useful, thx for this interesting hack!

Dell Latitude E6430
    Acer Aspire One 756
    Apple iPad Mini
    history: HP EliteBook 6930p, HP tc4400, HP nx8220
    HP EliteBook 6930p vs. Dell Latitude E6400 (review, ext. link)

Notebook Deity

indrek thats a really cool mod congrats thats awesome
    Alienware M18x R1|Intel i7 2960XM OEM|Samsung PM830 240Gb|Samsung 8gb 2133 CL9-10-10-25|AMD 7970m Crossfire CCC 12.7 Desktop Beta | MW86@Bios-Mods@Tech|Inferno

Notebook Consultant

great idea and something i will be doing to my 2530p.

Have you thought of instead of removing the difuser. replacing it instead with somethign not as soild? So you will end up with a bighter light but not as bright as without any difuser at all.
    HP Envy 15 (1st Gen) i7 820 8GB RAM
    Fujitsu P7120
    HP EliteBook 2530p
    Viliv S5

Notebook Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by thebranded View Post
    Have you thought of instead of removing the difuser. replacing it instead with somethign not as soild? So you will end up with a bighter light but not as bright as without any difuser at all.
    That's certainly something to try, if you can find something that's the right shape so it'll stay in there.

Another thing to try would be to file down the diffusor a bit so it lets through more light. You'd probably need something like a jeweller's file or very fine sandpaper, though.

HP EliteBook 6930p resources: Windows 8.1 compatibility | NightLight brightness mod | scrolling with trackpoint | half-size WLAN card

Notebook Consultant

hmm looks like i cant do this for the 2530p

The diffuser is a clear piece of plastic.
    HP Envy 15 (1st Gen) i7 820 8GB RAM
    Fujitsu P7120
    HP EliteBook 2530p
    Viliv S5

Notebook Guru

Great work Indrek, awesome mod!

Quote Originally Posted by Indrek View Post
    More of a simple hack than a mod, really, but it made the NightLight on my 6930p much more useful, so I thought I'd share...

...After:

Hope someone finds this useful.
    There is a much more convenient method of removing the diffuser if you are scared to disassemble the screen:

...Just pop the diffusercap open and grab yourself a small flat-head screwdriver. On the left and right sides of the cap you will see where the diffuser is tucked in. Just poke the screwdriver in the holes (Gently off course) and "pop" goes the diffuser.
    Took me around 10seconds to remove it.

Notebook Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by DrDeLaScarE View Post
    There is a much more convenient method of removing the diffuser if you are scared to disassemble the screen:

...Just pop the diffusercap open and grab yourself a small flat-head screwdriver. On the left and right sides of the cap you will see where the diffuser is tucked in. Just poke the screwdriver in the holes (Gently off course) and "pop" goes the diffuser.
    Took me around 10seconds to remove it.
    Yep, I actually mentioned in the original post that it's possible to do this without disassembling the screen. However, at least on my model that method seemed much more likely to result in damage to the NightLight assembly, which is why I decided to remove it from the display first. YMMV, of course.