Quantcast HP Ultrabook: HP Folio 13 - Page 2

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Notebook Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by Mitlov View Post
    There's no such thing as a free lunch...I'm suspicious of what corners they cut to sell at 70% of the price of most ultrabooks and half the price of the class leader (MBP 13).
    The Mac comment is, I feel, out of place. What isn't half the price of a comprable Mac?

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express

All Work and Some Play:
    Lenovo ThinkPad L440, i5-4200, 16GB RAM, 128GB MyDigitalSSD M.2 NGFF SSD, 256GB Crucial MX100 SSD, Windows 8.1 Professional, 100% OneDrive Integration
    Nokia Lumia 1520

Wifey:
    HP ProBook 4430s, i3-2310M, 16GB RAM, 80GB Intel 320 SSD, Windows 8.1 Profressional, 100%OneDrive integration
    Nokia Lumia 920

Digital Babysitter:
    No SIM Nokia Lumia 520

Default Re: HP Ultrabook: HP Folio 13

Received my Folio 13 yesterday and have had the day to play with it.

I have to say, for the price (especially after that coupon), this is a great laptop. I bought this as I was overall disappointed with a 11.6" macbook air I have due to it's battery life and believe it or not it's sharp edges (it's going back).

Size wise, I still would have preferred a 11.6" but this is not that big at all. Screen angles could definitely be better but overall very happy.

Quote Originally Posted by jeepfun View Post
    Received my Folio 13 yesterday and have had the day to play with it.

I have to say, for the price (especially after that coupon), this is a great laptop. I bought this as I was overall disappointed with a 11.6" macbook air I have due to it's battery life and believe it or not it's sharp edges (it's going back).

Size wise, I still would have preferred a 11.6" but this is not that big at all. Screen angles could definitely be better but overall very happy.
    i did a complete wipe of my folio to install a fresh windows 7 pro. i forgot to save the drivers for wireless and gigabit. can you upload them for me to download? hp has NOTHING on their support & drivers website for these components. any help would be appreciated. i can't even find the name of the ethernet device, which keeps me from going directly to the manufacturer website to download drivers.

NBR Moderator

HP usually has a SWSETUP folder which has all the drivers that you would want to backup before wiping the drive..

If you didn't back it up, it would be a PITA to go download all the drivers.
    Macbook Pro Retina | i7 3720QM | GT 650M | 8GB | 512GB | 15" 1800p

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    HP usually has a SWSETUP folder which has all the drivers that you would want to backup before wiping the drive..

If you didn't back it up, it would be a PITA to go download all the drivers.
    i did not do a backup because i assumed Windows 7 would have generic drivers i could use to get online. nope. WORST OF ALL, HP DOES NOT HAVE A COMPLETE LIST OF DOWNLOADABLE DRIVERS FOR THE FOLIO 13. in fact, they completely lack any drivers to get internet access. (i did not check their driver availablity beforehand). in addition to that, i did not have find any information anywhere describing what wireless/LAN hardware the folio 13 has. therefore, i cannot google the drivers i need. i called hp for support and was told they cannot give me any assistance with drivers since i am not using the original windows OS that came with the notebook. i ended up getting lucky and downloaded a intel wireless driver from another product page and it matched the hardware for the folio 13. i just picked another recently released notebook and the drivers matched. lesson learned: always make a backup before doing a clean OS install. do not assume hp will have the drivers available.

now, who wants to upload that swsetup folder for me?
    Last edited by tribalnoise; 26th December 2011 at 12:38 PM. Reason: added more info

Notebook Geek

so lucky Folio owners how about a full review?

thanks

Notebook Consultant

Hoping it goes on sale again. Reviews for this laptop are hard to find compared to others.
    Last edited by purell; 26th December 2011 at 05:26 PM.

Ok - found and compressed the directory. It's 1.5Gb in size. I can upload it to my hosting provider but would rather not put up the ftp credentials here.. Can you go to LeeCentral and send me a note through the contact page. I'll send you the info.

thanks jeep but i have resolved the problem by downloading drivers for the dm4t series and they work just fine. i have also asked hp to escalate the issue so this problem does not happen to other folio owners

Notebook Evangelist

My main question: What is the fan noise like? Does it stay off when idle and only really ramp up when you're actually doing something...

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast