Quantcast HP 6460b thoughts tweaks and more (Applicable to other Probook/EliteB models)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Notebook Evangelist

Default HP 6460b thoughts tweaks and more (Applicable to other Probook/EliteB models)

Hello again,

Now that my partner has the 5330m (teases me with the fact that she loves the keyboard backlight... on, off, on, off Grrr) a spanking brand new 6460b should arrive tomorrow morning. I've also ordered and have in front of me the following batteries:

Model- Prod No
    BB09 - QK640AA - 100Wh 9 cell
    ST09 - QK639AA - 73Wh 9 cell

I'm a bit worried as the ST09 blocked the underside cooling vent on the 8640p which is utter design madness on behalf of HP! What were they thinking?

My Envy 13 has now gone away so this 6460b (instead of the 5330m) will be its replacement; I cannot wait to see how long the battery lasts after major tweaking (Sad but heck, why not)

Out of the box details tomorrow shortly after it arrives. (Might also include pictures)

Notebook Consultant

Default Re: HP 6460b thoughts tweaks and more (Applicable to other Probook/EliteB models)

Please , it would be really nice of you if you can do short review. Introduction &specs., build quality, screen (is 1600x900 cramped or do you have 1366x768), battery life, TEMPS! Put photos, best are with some reference to object that size everybody know (CD case, phone). THNX.

Notebook Evangelist

Default Re: HP 6460b thoughts tweaks and more (Applicable to other Probook/EliteB models)

I will do! Full review, temps, processes and everything else.

Notebook Evangelist

So far I'm liking the dimensions of the 6460b which is virtually identical to the 8640p that I had three weeks ago. The extra 1600x900 resolution is the obvious/only choice over the standard 1366x768. Go for the 1600x900 screen and pass on the lower resolution. The 6460b will also be the thickest laptop I've owned in more than 4 years :/

Build quality is, as far as I can tel, exactly the same as the 8640p with only the colour and no keyboard light being the obvious differences. Other than the three year Elitebook warranty I also see zero reason to buy that model over this model which might save some pennies. Once again the pictures around the web do not do the machine justice as it does have a quality look about the machine while being nothing special unlike the Envy (13) line.

Out of the box/Specification:
    i5-2410m (2.3Ghz)
    4Gb ram
    320Gb Toshiba hard drive (The 5330m had a Western Digital black)

50 seconds from off to desktop then left idle for 5 minutes
    106 running processes
    1.50Gb ram used

101 running processes! Is HP having a laugh at our/your expense? Forget your battery life and having the full speed of the machine at your fingertips with 101 running processes AT idle! I also believe that Windows gets the blame (not HP) which is a damn shame and very unfair.

Software/Bloatware removed: (Some items are personal preference)
    -ArcSoft Webcam sharing manager
    -Bing bar
    -Broadcom Bluetooth 2070 (I don't use Bluetooth)
    -Cisco EAP-FAST module
    -Cisco LEAP module
    -Cisco PEAP module
    -HP Protect Tools (All modules/options)
    -Energy star digital logo
    -HP 3D drive guard
    -HP Client automation agent preload
    -HP daystarter
    -HP quickweb
    -HP softpaq download manager
    -HO software setup
    -HP support assistant
    -HP wallpaper
    -HP power assistant
    -Intel identity protection technology
    -Lightscribe system software
    -LSI HDA Modem (Disable in bios if not required)
    -Microsoft office 2010 (You can buy an key card or activate this as a FREE version)
    -Microsoft silverlight
    -PDF Complete special ed
    -Roxio MyDVD Business 2010
    -Roxio secure rom
    -VIP Access SDK
    -Windows Live ID sign-in assistant

HP PLEASE make these things optional on a CD or in a desktop folder. The machine could do with a nice defrag at this point and you can also make Internet explorer much faster by disabling all add-ins other than Flash.

1 minute from off to desktop then left idle for 5 minutes (47 if I disable msconfig startups)
    59 running processes
    987Mb ram used
    0% stable cpu use

Temps: Plugged in & charging
    Room temp - 21c
    Balanced profile - 37c
    High performance - 37c
    Prime 95 - 70c

Windows index score:
    6.9 - CPU
    5.9 - Ram
    4.7 - Graphics
    6.1 - Gaming
    5.9 - HDisk

Out of the box conclusion:
    Pathetic just like the 5330m. Instead of ensuring that their machines are ready to go Hp chooses to burden them with unnecessary software and processes. Sure, although you may need it, why doesn't Hp streamline protect tools and it's MANY segments? I won't bother stopping services as the only real way to get back all of the speed offered by the Elite/probook range is a clean install.

Next.. clean install, battery time and extended battery.
    Last edited by excalibur1814; 28th July 2011 at 09:55 AM.

Notebook Evangelist

I have now added a Crucial 256Gb SSD drive, another 4Gb ram for an 8Gb total and turned off any devices that I don't need in the bios (Which has added a few seconds to the boot process or so it seems)

Clean install: (Win 7 Home Premium x61 with Service pack 1)
    16 seconds from off to desktop then left idle for 5 minutes
    27 running processes (Remember to click 'show processes from all users)
    680Mb ram used

Drivers installed: (In order)
    -Intel 82579LM and 82579V Gigabit Ethernet (To get on the net) from HP.co.uk
    -Visited intel.co.uk to automatically update/install intel drivers. It crashed.
    -Windows update, all updates.
    -Visited intel.co.uk to automatically update...
    - Intel HM65 Express Chipset family
    - latest Intel graphics 3000
    -HP Software framework (From HP.co.uk)
    -JMicron Media card reader (HP)
    -Hp Hotkey support (HP)
    -IDT High definition HD audio (HP)
    -Synaptics touchpad (From Synaptics.com) (Un-install Scrybe)

19 seconds from off to desktop then left idle for 5 minutes
    48 running processes
    1.07Gb ram used

Modifications:
    -Virtual memory turned off
    -Hibernation disabled
    -System restore turned off
    -Disabled Aero

48 running processes
    1.04Gb ram used.

windows is starting processes after a few minutes idle and you can see the CPU usage history fly up and down. A permanent way to stop this would be to sift through the Scheduled tasks but I'm not going to go into that.

Services Disabled/MSconfig: (Be selective if you use your machine on a domain)
    -Adaptive Brightness (Set to manual but I've disabled)
    -Andrea ST Filters Service (Microphone)
    -Audio service (For the jack monitoring - Will turn off and see what happens)
    -Desktop Windows Manager Session manager (Will disable Aero)
    -Diagnostic System Host
    -Diagnostic Service Host
    -Distributed Link tracking Client
    -Disk Defragmenter
    -Fax
    -Function Discovery Resource Publication
    -HomeGroup Listener
    -HomeGroup Provider
    -HP Quick Synchronization service
    -HP Service
    -IKE and AuthIP Ipsec keying modules
    -IP Helper
    -Microsoft .net framework ... (All of them)
    -Portable Device Enumerator Service
    -Print Spooler (If you print, don't disable this one)
    -Remote Registry
    -Shell Hardware Detection
    -SSDP Discovery
    -Smart Cards
    -Superfetch (Should grab back some memory from cached events)
    -Themes (Probably better to leave this alone as things look horrible)
    -Windows defender (Open WIn Defender first, Options, Don't use this)
    -UPnP device host
    -Windows Cardspace
    -Windows Defender (Turn the program off first)
    -Windows Font Cache Service
    -Windows Image Acquisition (WIA)
    -Windows Media Center Receiver Service
    -Windows Media Center Scheduler Service
    -Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service
    -Windows Presentation Foundation Font Cache 3.0.0.0
    -Windows Search
    -WinHTTP Web Proxy Auto-Discovery Service

Removed all ticks from within the MSCONFIG startup tab apart from QLBController

29 running processes
    776Mb ram used
    0% cpu usage.. Total flatline

Temps:
    Room temp - 26c
    Balanced profile - 39c
    For the balanced I set everything to max battery and the max CPU is 10%
    High performance - 39c
    Prime 95 test - 70c (Not tested for an extended period)

The fan seems to be on most of the time but will probably update in a week.

Windows index score:
    6.9 - CPU
    7.4 - Ram
    6.3 - Graphics
    6.3 - Gaming
    7.9 - HDisk

Clean install conclusion:
    The machine runs like a fast thing on roller skates but I'm feeling seriously let down by HP with the fan always on thing compared to the i3 5330m. Sure, you might not mind, but I'm planning on writing a long book with this thing and will have the vent holes covered by the battery so the cooling must be up to the job or the machine running as cool as possible... With luck the next revision of Elite/ProBooks will provide virtually silent models. I'll update as I use the machine. Clean install recommended? Absolutely.

Next.. Battery time, extended battery and final conclusion
    Last edited by excalibur1814; 29th July 2011 at 03:29 AM.

Notebook Evangelist

Standard Battery information:
    Design capacity - 5100mAh
    Full charge capacity - 5079mAh
    Charge capacity - 99%

A fully working battery

Extended battery:
    Design capacity - 8850mAh
    Full charge capacity - 9000mAh (Huh?)
    Charge capacity - 100% Woohoo!!

The extended BB09 covers ALL underside air vents which is a bit silly so ONLY buy if you're going to use a balanced profile and mild work that won't stress the cpu that much!

Notebook Evangelist

Pictures:

HP 6460b & HP 5330m (The flat top cover of the 5330m is considerably better than the 6460b)

The extra height makes all the difference

Then the camera battery ran out. The screen cannot be compared to the Envy 13 with the Envy 13 being amazingly clear and vibrant

Super extra mega-Whr battery BB09 (A lot of the case is thin air)

On the laptop covering the vents

Yay

More pictures once I get a 128Gb SSD into the 5330m

Notebook Consultant

Great. Those photos bring some conclusion. For me thickness is not an issue, but knowing that extended battery covers vents doesn't look appealing.
    Does 6460b have bigger touchpad than 5330m? Screen looks crisp but in photo is a bit over-bright - is it on 100%? and lastly ... are You really sure about build quality 8460p vs. 6460b?

Notebook Evangelist

I'll be testing the machine tomorrow with the extended battery and monitoring the heat at the same time and I'm pretty sure that it'll be ok.

I'll take a picture of both trackpads next to each other tomorrow.

The screen is on 100% but I'd ignore it until I take a few more pictures tomorrow or should I say... better pictures.

Seriously they have basically the exact same shell and nearly the same internals. The Elitebook featured a flap type thing over the hard drive and other than that it's more or less identical inside (They are both solid machines)

If you put a Probook and Elitebook next to each other (same colour) you would really have trouble telling the difference. Missing the keyboard light though. (The silver does look better)

KLF
    NBR Super Modernator

Quote Originally Posted by excalibur1814 View Post

On the laptop covering the vents

That is the docking station compatible battery, I have one of those that fits both my laptops. Mine's roughly 50% of that bigger battery, 4400mAh. I have docking station at work and home, so I didn't even consider the biggest option.

I'm not sure but I would think similar is available to these newer laptops. Less capacity but it wouldn't probably block the vents so bad. After your stress tests we'll know what kind of issue the vent blocking is.
    I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack scouts on fire off the shoulder of Well6. I watched sentryguns glitter in the dark near the 2fort4 gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast