Quantcast HP Elitebook MIL-STD 810G How far?

Closed Thread

Default HP Elitebook MIL-STD 810G How far?

As we all know most of the Elitebook range comes with a Military standard defined by the DOD, (MIL-STD 810G), Now I'm unsure how far this military spec stands, but it at-least covers a certain amount of resistance to corrosive material and physical use.

Recently I purchased a Elitebook 8540w notebook for daily use, as I needed something that has allot of power but also very sturdy, and after having a HP Compaq nw8240 for 4yrs and seen the abuse this got, I stuck with the HP range of workstation notebooks.
    But the other day the shoulder strap broke on my laptop bag as I was running to catch a train, nothing came out but after checking the laptop the clips to keep the battery in broke! And on the laptop body side, not the on the battery. This seams abit week, However the lid got slightly shifted to the right, so it heads abit or work to have to close properly.
    Other then that, the corner the laptop landed on has a small bump.

Now my understand is that was abit weak for such a laptop to be classed as Military Spec. At least I hope I'm understanding there standards correctly.

Let me know what you think? As I have 3yr warranty on this that I'd like to find out if it can cover

Notebook Virtuoso

Default Re: HP Elitebook MIL-STD 810G How far?

Well firstly, the talk about military standard compliance is, to some extent, marketing. The EliteBooks are more durable than your average consumer-class laptop, but there's no guarantee that the laptop is immune to freak accidents like the one you just had.

If you look at the 8540w quick specs, you'll see (in the "At A Glance" section) that HP has tested the laptop for compliance on, quote, "vibration, dust, humidity, altitude, and high and low temperature operation". No mention of shock or anything like that, so the fact that your laptop suffered damage from a fall doesn't necessarily mean the HP engineers did a bad job. They simply didn't claim that the laptop would meet any standards in terms of shock resistance.

Also, HP has never claimed that their laptops are actually certified for the MIL-STD-810 standard. They say that the laptops have been "designed for", or tested for "compliance with", which just means that certain parts of the standards have been used as general guidelines in the design, manufacturing and testing process. There's no guarantee that the laptops would actually pass the tests for the standards; indeed, for all we know, they could fail miserably. A footnote from the same part of the quick specs says:
    Testing was not intended to demonstrate fitness for DOD contracts requirements or for military use. Test results are not a guarantee of future performance under these test conditions.
    So basically the talk about military standard compliance should be taken with a grain of salt. In the end the EliteBooks are still non-rugged (well, business-rugged, whatever the hell that means) laptops meant to be handled with care.

As for your laptop, you should check your warranty to see if it includes Accidental Damage Protection.
    Proofread your posts carefully to see if you any words out.

HP EliteBook 6930p resources: Windows 8.1 compatibility | NightLight brightness mod | scrolling with trackpoint | half-size WLAN card