Quantcast Compaq 6910p laptop - Caps lock is causing the audio touch bar to go mental - any ideas? :(

+ Reply to Thread
    Notebook Enthusiast

Default Compaq 6910p laptop - Caps lock is causing the audio touch bar to go mental - any ideas? :(

Hi guys

We have a Compaq 6910p laptop with XP Pro. The laptop has had a problem over the last few months which we've not been able to fix.

Basically, as soon as you press the caps lock the actual volume and volume touch bar (at the top right of the keyboard) go crazy, and there is a popping sound through the speakers where it's turning on and off and up and down.

I have updated the BIOS to version F17 (as F19 would not correctly flash) and have installed the latest drivers for the touchpad and quick keys. However, the problem also occurs when I go into the BIOS or am in the boot screens, ie before Windows has loaded, so I suspect it's not a driver issue.

I have searched on Google and also on the HP support knowledge base. I've not found much but there were a few other people that had the same problem with this model but I couldn't establish if and how they resovled it. I suspect that it may be a (known?) hardware fault with this model.

Has anyone else had the same problem and been able to resolve it?

Thanks!

KLF
    NBR Super Modernator

Default Re: Compaq 6910p laptop - Caps lock is causing the audio touch bar to go mental - any ideas? :(

Since it seems to be keyboard related, it could be faulty. It's simple to test: unplug laptops keyboard and plug in normal usb keyboard.

All you need is usb keyboard and small screwdriver, no need to immediately buy any spare parts

There's always chance that the keyboard is working just fine, problem could be the motherboard itself. Keyboard is cheaper to replace if needed so it should be the first step.
    I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack scouts on fire off the shoulder of Well6. I watched sentryguns glitter in the dark near the 2fort4 gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Notebook Enthusiast

Default Re: Compaq 6910p laptop - Caps lock is causing the audio touch bar to go mental - any ideas? :(

Ah, I hadn't considered that. I'm off now until next week so I'll give it a go when I get back into work.

Thanks KLF. If anyone comes up with any other suggestions in the meantime please post as well! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Emanef View Post
    Ah, I hadn't considered that. I'm off now until next week so I'll give it a go when I get back into work.

Thanks KLF. If anyone comes up with any other suggestions in the meantime please post as well! Thanks!
    Hi, Emanef. hope you had it fixed already but if you haven't, this is a common issue for some HP/COMPAQ models, mostly business lines, that will go crazy whenever you press the CAPS LOCK button or even will do it by itself. I own a HP 6910p and that happens quite often and by itself now, without the need of CAPS LOCK being pressed! Only solutions:
    - under warranty, contact HP/COMPAQ and they will replace it.
    - out-of-warranty, ebay and buy a new part.
    The problem is not your keyboard but the multimedia control board on the top, that I hate so much but it is part of every HP laptop design.
    Hope it helps.