Quantcast HP Elitebook 6930p display lock repair (How to...)

Closed Thread
    jke
    Notebook Enthusiast

Default HP Elitebook 6930p display lock repair (How to...)

Hola a todos,
    for those of you who are still suffering from a problematic display lock on their HP Elitebook 6930p (and probably also other Elitebooks), here's a quick fix I've used today which worked. In fact, I had already tried this fix in the past but it never worked, and now I just tried it again, disassembled my laptop and used some pliers on the metal bar inside that locks the display in place when closed:

1. disassemble your laptop, remove the display
    2. find the metal bar in front (as pictured)
    3. remove it (remove the SD card reader plastic cover first, it's fixed on one side, push out from the inside of the laptop case)
    4. carefully bend the fork that's supposed to cover the little grey push button by using 2 pliers, make sure it doesn't brake
    5. you may even want to extend the springs underneath these grey buttons to give them a bit more tension
    6. reassemble everything up to the point where the display is back in place and see how it works - you may have to redo it to find the optimal position

I understand that this applies to 6930p from 2008 and 2009, and that the laptop comes with 3yrs warranty. However, the last time I had send it in to Jabil in Poland (service agency for German customers on behalf of HP), the Polish "experts" ruined it even more and never really fixed it.

Hope this helps anyone looking for a solution to the problem.

Dell Latitude E6430
    Acer Aspire One 756
    Apple iPad Mini
    history: HP EliteBook 6930p, HP tc4400, HP nx8220
    HP EliteBook 6930p vs. Dell Latitude E6400 (review, ext. link)

KLF
    NBR Super Modernator

Default Re: HP Elitebook 6930p display lock repair (How to...)

Sorry for little offtopic here

Quote Originally Posted by jke View Post
    However, the last time I had send it in to Jabil in Poland (service agency for German customers on behalf of HP), the Polish "experts" ruined it even more and never really fixed it.
    That's why I prefer to personally bring my laptop to HP's service partner in my city, it is the same company that does the onsite repair services for computers and printers. They repair it themselves so I can bring any issues directly with them afterwards if necessary.

Pretty much every major city should have at least one, since it isn't efficient to drive around the country with a trunk full of spares. Not necessarily all of them deal directly with customers but it doesn't hurt to ask (if you find one near you).
    I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack scouts on fire off the shoulder of Well6. I watched sentryguns glitter in the dark near the 2fort4 gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.