Quantcast *HP EliteBook 8740w Owners Lounge - PART 1* - Page 248

Closed Thread
Page 248 of 343 FirstFirst ... 148198238244245246247248249250251252258298 ... LastLast
Results 2,471 to 2,480 of 3422
    Notebook Evangelist

Default re: *HP EliteBook 8740w Owners Lounge - PART 1*

@vasbinde:

Ok, Eric. I've already seen that the i7-840QM processor is already available in United Kingdom. Since UK is in Europe, I guess that 840QM will be soon in my country.

Thank you very much

Notebook Geek

Quote Originally Posted by NotebookGrail View Post
    @Lethial, Aikimox, HiddenUser,TechAnimal,Kaliatech - thanks for your comments and suggestions. Will for sure follow LES tips and tricks as well.

ACHI is already enabled.

Any real reason for partitioning apart from keeping data in different logical drives? Is it really necessary to split the SSD into partitions? Or should i leave it alone and also move the "user folder" to the HDD in the upgrade bay.

By the way, isn't the SSD considered flat and does partitioning help? SDD can write wherever it wants to, right or am i wrong? In case, it's not, then for example, if i partition and have say 40GB for OS, am i not making that 40GB consumed faster and make life difficult for SSD?
    The partitioning is NOT for performance but for future OS update/wipes. Not everything is about performance. It is mainly for future OS updates. By keeping your data and programs separate, you will have easier time when you decide to reinstall your OS.

I definitely wouldn't do the partitioning if there are more HDD bays for the Elitebook. TBH, the more I learn about the SSDs, the more I realize that I should just bite the bullet and buy some nice SLC SSDs for OS drives of my systems. The directions that the MLC drives are going doesn't give me a lot of confidence in SSDs.

All that talk about keeping the SSDs as "sparsely" populated as possible seems kinda "funny" to me. If we accept that SSDs will only have its optimal performance and reliability if we use a fraction of its capacity, then we are just being "sheeps" and letting the manufactures being more and more lax on the quality of the products, and lie to us even more. What is next? Boasting the SSD capacities in Bits? :rolleye:

Speaking of the drive bay, thanks for the clarification HiddenUser.

From the sound of it, most of you have already replaced your HDD. For the screw that holds the HDD to the chasis, can you guys tighten it till it can't be tightened any further? Or is it loose? (For the screw on my drive bay, the screw seem to be stripped or something)

Oh, an update on my problem, the tech was very helpful and according to him, it is a main board problem, so it will have to be replaced. But the main boards are on limited availability right now.

Notebook Evangelist

Quote Originally Posted by RampageII View Post
    @notebookgrail

What is this "my codes module" they're referring to? Is there a step I'm missing?
    Hi Rampage, ok..here we go again.. Once you login to Ent website and search for TD. Don't click the "website" link. On the right side, there will a yellow highlighted thingy called "How do i get the discount" below that there will be "Claim Code" link in Orange color. Once you click that, the page will refresh and below that you will see "Redeem link" against each of the book area you ordered.
    Also make sure the order value is $300, the coupon applies only if its $300 or above.
    I have atatched the screenshot highlighting the one you need to do.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TD link.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	537.6 KB 
ID:	53197
    NotebookGrail 8740W | 7-14-2010 | 840QM | M7820 | 12GB | WP7 | DC2 | 256GB Crucial RealSSD | 320GB HDD Upgrade Bay | All issues resolved

Weihenstephaner!

Quote Originally Posted by vasbinde View Post
    FYI - I just heard from my sources that we will be coming out with the i7-840 CPU for Canada and the UK. I cannot disclose the timeframes, but they are coming at some point. For other countries, including Spain, there is no information yet. Sorry about that.

I'll keep you posted.
    I wish that instead of offering 840QM in Canada, HP would offer the same configurator as in the US and let people buy on-line. Sending them to resellers that don't even carry Elitebooks is not funny.
    HP EXtremeBook 2570p <> 12.5" LCD<> 3840QM Quad@4Ghz! <> 16GB RAM <> 1.5TB Storage! <> 6hrs of battery life! <> Windows Server 2012 Datacenter

Hello!

I got my Elitebook 8740w on April 30, and it's been working ok until now. Now I have a huge problem and I don't know how to handle it, so any help would be appreciated.

Yesterday I had to leave the office and the laptop was left on. When I came back it was in sleep mode, so I shook the mouse to log in again, and nohing happened. The laptop was totally unresponsive to mouse (both on the laptop and USB) and keyboard. I also tried pressing the power button once, but it also didn't help. I had no choice but to force shut down by holding the power button. Real trouble starts after that.

Now the laptop can't be turned on, that is, it boots to Windows usually after I leave it powered off for an hour or so, and then it works normal. But when I shut it down, I can't be sure that it'll boot again. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't.

The difference between "normal" behaviour (when it boots) and "abnormal" is that in normal state all touch sensitive buttons (QuickLook, QuickWeb, Wireless, MousePad button and three volume buttons) light up right after I press the power button, while in "abnormal" state QuickLook and QuickWeb buttons don't turn on and the Wireless button stays blue (enabled) even though it was disabled when I shut down Windows last time. Also, sometimes the fan turns on, sometimes it doesn't (or at least I don't hear it).

I asked local HP Service Representative and he told me to reinstall Windows, but somehow I don't think it's a Windows problem because the laptop doesn't even get to Windows boot stage (I think so) - there is no indication on screen whatsoever, HDD led flashes a little but then it stops completely, there is no sound to indicate WIndows loading - NOTHING. I mean, it doesn't even get to the point of showing the BIOS message. And I also updated all the drivers both from Windows and HP Update the last time it booted successfully. I also did the tests in BIOS and everything passed.

I must mention that I did have some trouble starting the notebook when I turned it on with wireless mouse/kb receiver plugged in the USB port. It happened only a few times, and after a shutdown it booted normally, so I didn't give much attention to it.

The OS is Windows 7 Pro that came with the laptop, the part number is WD941EA#BED, I can't tell you any other detailed info since I can't turn the thing on. If I manage to turn it on, I'll definitely try to reinstall Windows, but if anyone has a better idea it would really save me a lot of time reinstalling and configuring all the software and virtual machines I'm running on the laptop.

EDIT: It turned on! It was left off for about an hour and now it turned on as if nothing happened. Specs from HP Support Assistant:
    CPU: i7 Q720 @ 1.6GHz
    RAM: 8GB (2 x 4GB 1333 MHz Samsung)
    Graphics: NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800M
    System board: 1520 KBC ver 33.2A
    BIOS: 68CAD ver F.01

And now I see that it's asking me for some new updates aswell: Quick Launch Buttons, System BIOS and Intel PRO/Wireless !? I already installed Quick Launch & Intel Wireless the last time I was updating!? This is the first time that it wants me to update the BIOS though.

Any ideas or suggestions?
    Thanks!
    Last edited by mrtosiba; 21st July 2010 at 10:04 AM. Reason: New developments

Weihenstephaner!

@mrtosiba,
    Welcome to the forum

BIOS update might fix your issue, so let it install.

If it doesn't help, try the Power Drain:
    Turn the system off
    Unplug the power cord
    Remove the battery
    Press&Hold the power button for 30sec
    Insert the battery and plug the power cord
    See if the problem persists.
    HP EXtremeBook 2570p <> 12.5" LCD<> 3840QM Quad@4Ghz! <> 16GB RAM <> 1.5TB Storage! <> 6hrs of battery life! <> Windows Server 2012 Datacenter

m8o
    Notebook Evangelist

mrtosiba, I can't believe HP support rep told you to re-install Windows .... actually, I can believe it sadly. And it's why I don't ever start with them [any support desks] anymore; if that's the kind of assistance we can expect from them, why bother! I should because of the boot problem of our 2nd Gen 8740w's, but don't for the previous reason.

I see you're up and running; I think the machine went into Hibernate mode before after being in Sleep mode past the configured threshold period. I manually go into it often with my 8740w, and I haven't had problem coming out of it. But I've seen my other computers have problem coming out of Hibernate when the machine automatically switched from Sleep mode to Hibernate mode as defined by the power profile. That was older versions of windows but I imagine the behavior still is the same with Windows 7 as I believe the reason for the failure to restart is a hardware+software problem at a very low level and that level has likely not changed for Windows 7.

What Aikimox described would have gotten you there faster. Now, in addition to what Aikimox said you can press ESC immediately after the power button. Not sure if you can switch to booting Windows in Safe Mode from there; if so, select that. Else you can press F8 early in the boot process to activate Windows boot options, then select Safe Mode from there. There is a hidden system file named hiberfile.sys (or similar; I don't have my 8740w near me to turn on, and this Dell I'm on can't hibernate so I don't have that file). You can delete/remove that hiberfile.sys file after changing its attributes at the commandline to remove its hidden+system attributes. Then reboot. You'll lose your previously hibernated session and any unsaved data in running programs if you do that, but the machine should boot cleanly after.

It is of course easier to completely drain the machine of power as Aikimox said. But if the machine still does not start due to an un-healthy or incomplete hibernate file, you can try what I just described .
    Last edited by m8o; 21st July 2010 at 12:19 PM.
    The Collection: | HP 8740W i7-720 w/DC2 & M7820 | MacBook Air | Dell 1720 | Sony VGN-A790 | IBM X61T,X24,X20 | Dell E6500 [work issued] |
    My Backpack Solution for the HP 8740w (along with others) - a Photo Essay

Notebook Evangelist

Quote Originally Posted by NotebookGrail View Post
    Hi Rampage, ok..here we go again.. Once you login to Ent website and search for TD. Don't click the "website" link. On the right side, there will a yellow highlighted thingy called "How do i get the discount" below that there will be "Claim Code" link in Orange color. Once you click that, the page will refresh and below that you will see "Redeem link" against each of the book area you ordered.
    Also make sure the order value is $300, the coupon applies only if its $300 or above.
    I have atatched the screenshot highlighting the one you need to do.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TD link.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	537.6 KB 
ID:	53197
    Yeah, that's what I was expecting to find. But this is what it says instead;

"TigerDirect.CA offer is only available to members who own a Canadian edition
    and TigerDirect.com offer is only available to members who own a USA edition.
    We apologize for the inconvenience.
    "

I didn't actually buy anything in order to log in to the entertainment site. There's a way to circumvent that according to that SD thread.
    But maybe that's why it's not showing me the "get code" button.
    Last edited by RampageII; 21st July 2010 at 11:28 AM.

Notebook Deity

Quote Originally Posted by lethial View Post
    The partitioning is NOT for performance but for future OS update/wipes. Not everything is about performance. It is mainly for future OS updates. By keeping your data and programs separate, you will have easier time when you decide to reinstall your OS.

I definitely wouldn't do the partitioning if there are more HDD bays for the Elitebook. TBH, the more I learn about the SSDs, the more I realize that I should just bite the bullet and buy some nice SLC SSDs for OS drives of my systems. The directions that the MLC drives are going doesn't give me a lot of confidence in SSDs.

All that talk about keeping the SSDs as "sparsely" populated as possible seems kinda "funny" to me. If we accept that SSDs will only have its optimal performance and reliability if we use a fraction of its capacity, then we are just being "sheeps" and letting the manufactures being more and more lax on the quality of the products, and lie to us even more. What is next? Boasting the SSD capacities in Bits? :rolleye:

Speaking of the drive bay, thanks for the clarification HiddenUser.

From the sound of it, most of you have already replaced your HDD. For the screw that holds the HDD to the chasis, can you guys tighten it till it can't be tightened any further? Or is it loose? (For the screw on my drive bay, the screw seem to be stripped or something)

Oh, an update on my problem, the tech was very helpful and according to him, it is a main board problem, so it will have to be replaced. But the main boards are on limited availability right now.
    Most programs dont work if you install them on one partition and format your os partition. And you can just backup your data, like you should be doing anyway. There's seriously no reason to partition a ssd except for dual booting.

And ssds do not really perform slower when they are more filled; regular hard drives do. Ssds are slower if they dont have TRIM. I have never heard from a manufacturer that your ssd should be sparsely populated.
    Previous laptops: HP Elitebook 8740w, HP Mini 5102, HP Mini 210, HP ENVY17, HP ENVY15 gen2, Apple MBP13 2009, ASUS EEE 900a, AW M17x-R1, AW m15x, AW Area-51m 5500, AW Area-51m 766, Sony something[/size]

@Aikimox & m8o:

Cheerz people, looks like the BIOS update did it. It turned on successfully three times now, hope it stays that way. Also, thanks for the power drain and the ESC button tip, didn't know that. I think I'm gonna turn off Hibernation since I don't have any use of it, I usually don't need the laptop to turn on in seconds time, I can wait for it to fully boot and load everything I need.

I'll see what happens in next few days, hope the problem is gone.

BTW found this forum by accident after helplessly searching HP site for a solution and it's really cool.

Oh, and I feel I should clarify the HP support story: the guy I contacted isn't working for HP, he's working for a company that is an authorized HP service partner, and he said that they don't help people solve OS & software related problems, only hardware issues, and asked me to reinstall Windows to make sure that it's not bad drivers or something similar before bringing the laptop to service. It's got something to do with their HP contract and so on. Before that, I also called HP and they told me that they don't do any kind of support at all and told me to find an authorized service company.

Thanks again!