Quantcast Why can't I install Windows XP Professional on my Gateway notebook?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Notebook Evangelist

Default Why can't I install Windows XP Professional on my Gateway notebook?

Everytime I try to install the OS, the notebook crashes and I get that BSOD. The reason why I'm installing the OS is cuz Gateway has installed all of their crap software into the OS that they gave me. Any reasons why this is happening to me? Thanks.

ZzzZzz

Default Re: Why can't I install Windows XP Professional on my Gateway notebook?

How are you trying to install the windows,
    Are you using the bootable CD or simply clicking Setup.exe.
    A clean installation generally means that you are going to kill the windows on drive C:
    Thinkpad T400
    Older laptop : ASUS W3J

Notebook Evangelist

Quote Originally Posted by mujtaba
    How are you trying to install the windows,
    Are you using the bootable CD or simply clicking Setup.exe.
    A clean installation generally means that you are going to kill the windows on drive C:
    I just put in the CD and attempt to boot from the external DVD drive since my ultraportable doesn't have an internal optical drive. I know how to format a computer as I have done it like a billion times on my desktop.

ZzzZzz

And you fail of booting from the DVD?
    Then when do you get BSOD? On which step?
    Thinkpad T400
    Older laptop : ASUS W3J

Notebook Evangelist

Quote Originally Posted by mujtaba
    And you fail of booting from the DVD?
    Then when do you get BSOD? On which step?
    After it loads all the files and the part where it says "starting windows", it crashes. I get the following technical error:

"0x0000007B (0xF7A8A524, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)"

Notebook Consultant

do me a favor, list your specifications.

Notebook Geek

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt_Strider
    Everytime I try to install the OS, the notebook crashes and I get that BSOD. The reason why I'm installing the OS is cuz Gateway has installed all of their crap software into the OS that they gave me. Any reasons why this is happening to me? Thanks.

Please post the first few lines along with the BSOD error codes. We would then be able to identify the cause.
    Also, was XP Pro your original OS ? stop error 0x0000007B is very likely to be a device driver issue. Are you also getting any other errors such as INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE?

BGeo
    Last edited by bgeo; 10th September 2006 at 02:27 PM.

Notebook Evangelist

Quote Originally Posted by root
    do me a favor, list your specifications.
    I honestly don't get how this will help, but the laptop has a Core Solo U1300, 1GB of RAM, 12.1" Widescreen, 80GB hard drive 5400 RPM.

Notebook Evangelist

Quote Originally Posted by bgeo
    Please post the first few lines along with the BSOD error codes. We would then be able to identify the cause.
    Also, was XP Pro your original OS ? stop error 0x0000007B is very likely to be a device driver issue. Are you also getting any other errors such as INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE?

BGeo
    Yes, XP Pro is my OS. This is what XP displayed when it crashed:

"Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer."

I'm sure there aren't any viruses or any hard drive installation issues. I'm using the stock hard drive. The only thing that I haven't done is the CHKDSK /F thing. I don't know how to do it.

Notebook Geek

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt_Strider
    Yes, XP Pro is my OS. This is what XP displayed when it crashed:

"Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer."

I'm sure there aren't any viruses or any hard drive installation issues. I'm using the stock hard drive. The only thing that I haven't done is the CHKDSK /F thing. I don't know how to do it.
    In your earler post you had mentioned Stop 0x0000007B error message
    This is also sometimes caused by a boot-sector virus. I didn't want to mention it as you stated that it's been formatted. Could you once again post the complete erro codes and warning text immediately after the error code.
    Are you sure you reformatted the drive properly ?

For running CHKDSK /F, (if your machine is not bootable in XP), create a generic boot disk (can create it from any machine). boot using the boot disk and at the command prompt run chkdsk.
    I am assuming that you are using the original XP OS cd to install and that it contains all the drivers needed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast