How to Delete Clickfree 1TB Automatic Backup External Hard Drive
EDIT : The Title Should Be How to Delete Clickfree 1TB CDFS Partition. Sorry
PLEASE TAKE THE TIME TO READ EVERYTHING BEFORE PROCEEDING!!Gparted and third party partitioning softwares under windows such as EaseUs and Partition Magic WILL NOT WORK!!!!!!!! These Softwares will not work because the CDFS partition is in a write protected chip (NAND) and it is impossible to erase. THIS MEANS THE HARD DRIVE HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THIS!
Before proceeding with removing the CDFS Partition, I will not take any responsibility of whatever happens, IT IS ALL ON YOU!!!!!!!!! YOU WERE WARNED
THIS METHOD IS GOING TO TURN YOUR HARD DRIVE TO A RAW FORMAT AND THAT MEANS YOUR DATA WILL BE GONE SO PLEASE BACKUP THE DATA ON YOUR COMPUTER
The PRO about this fix is that the CDFS will be removed and the CON is that the LED FROM THE EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE WILL NOT WORK (THE HARD DRIVE IS STILL FUNCTIONAL) AND I DO NOT KNOW WHY. IF YOU CARE ABOUT THE FLASHING LIGHT, DO NOT PROCEED WITH THIS FIX!
IF YOU ARE AN EXTREME RISK TAKER OR REALLY DESPERATE, PROCEED WITH THE FIX BUT I STRONGLY RECOMMEND THAT YOU RETURN THE HARD DRIVE AND BUY A GENERIC EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE!
1. J-MICRON drivers & utilitaires
click on this link and download the file that says "Version 255.31.3.41.22" (click on the floppy disk to download)
2. Extract the file to a folder (Recommended that you make one)
3. Go to your folder where you extracted the files and run the FwUpdateTool
4. When your on the tool, Select the Clickfree backup drive next to USB DISK
5. If you see JMS539 next to chip, keep proceeding with the steps. "IF YOU SEE SOMETHING ELSE, DO NOT PROCEED WITH THE STEP OTHERWISE YOU WILL BRICK YOUR EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE"
6. Select the firmware file by clicking load file and selecting the BIN
6A. AGAIN, I WILL NOT TAKE ANY RESPONSIBILITY OF WHAT EVER HAPPENS TO YOUR EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE AND AGAIN IT IS ALL ON YOU.
7. Click run and when it says programming succeed or something like that, disconnect the clickfree hard drive and connect it.
7A. So what we did with the Clickfree Hard Drive is that we programmed the JMS539 Bridge controller to bridge the connection directly to the hard drive and not to the Nand Chip that carries the CDFS partition.
8. Now go to device manager (Start -> Control Panel -> Device Manager) and if you see another hard drive that you never saw before, you finished Part I of this method
9. Now for Part II , If you don't see the external hard drive on Computer or My Computer, Do not Panic because your External Hard Drive is not formatted and doesn't have a drive letter.
10. What I strongly Recommend for formatting External Hard Drive is to use a Linux Distro, GParted. However , if you want to use a third party formatting tool or use disk management, you can proceed with that . if you want to use my recommendation, here is the link to the iso GParted -- Download
. And click on the Live CD/USB tab to guide you putting the iso on a cd or usb.
11. I will not provide steps on how to boot the cd/usb and how to format the clickfree hard drive.
12. After you formatted the External Hard Drive with Gparted (Linux Distro), third party partitioning software or Disk Management on Windows, you are officially done.
For users that didn't get jms539 next to chip, you will have to open the external hard drive enclosure and find the sata controller chip, write down the model number and use that to find yourself a solution because you can't always depend on the internet on something like this. You have to start doing things by yourselfs and again not my responsibility if you screw up your external hard drive.