Quantcast How often should a laptop fan be replaced?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Notebook Consultant

Default How often should a laptop fan be replaced?

I know question isn't exactly the most easy thing to answer, but in your experience how often do laptop fan's break?

I am concerned because my laptop fan becomes audible and very frequent when doing virus scans or running anything flash based, sometimes they don't turn off until the scan is complete or flash hasn't been used for a while.

Is it possible for a fan to wear faster even if free of dust if it's on more often than not?

I know a fan never really turns off, but mine is pretty audible, not ear piercing audible nor very annoying but its definitely the loudest laptop I've owned (I use it only on a wooden desk and keep everything dust free)

I do not hear anything that could indicate a fault with it, I can only hear it spin up and hear the airflow, the laptop temperature has never gone above 60oc, and the fans have been set in BIOS to switch on once the machine has peaked 50oc, there is no way to change this as there are no options in BIOS and speedfan does not work, obviously they don't want people changing this.
    Current: Sony Vaio VPCEE3E0E
    Secondary: Sony Vaio FW
    R.I.P: Dell Inspiron 1520

Mr.Mischief

Default Re: How often should a laptop fan be replaced?

When the fans starts making a grinding noise or it stops turning, thats when I would replace it.
    2012 MacBook Air 11
    iPhone 5c

Agrees to disagree

The FAN, pretty much as every other material thing in this world, gets old and wears out! Don't forget the fan is actually a bearing - each bearing has certain estimated lifetime, based mainly on millions of cycles. Hence - the more and the faster the FAN is in use - the sooner it will need replacing.

This however gives no particular information about "how often" as it depends on the quality, as well as on dust, temperature and other factors. I used my previous laptop for 4 years (it has been on almost 24h a day) and I never had to replace the FAN. Unfortunately others complain of a broken FAN few months or an year after purchase.

As said above - whenever the FAN stops spinning or starts making unnatural sounds - this is the time to replace it. If you think it is just more noisy (pay attention that it is normal to be more noisy when spinning on higher speeds!) - you can try lubricating the bearing - this might help a bit.
    Sony Vaio S - VPCS11V9E - i5 520M, 8GB DDR3, NVIDIA, 120GB SSD + 500GB 7200RPM

Once upon a time and never again: IPC TopNote F; ECS Elitegroup A535; Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo M6453G

-- Morgan Stanley --

The average lifetime of a fan should be around 50,000 hours (read it somewhere long time ago). That's why most users don't need to change it during the lifetime of a laptop.

50,000 hours means 5.7 years of continuous operation. If you are using your laptop for 12 hours/day it should take more than 11 years for the fan to die out.

--
    - Lenovo X230
    12.5" IPS (1366x768), Core i5-3360M, 2x8GB DDR3-1600, 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD, 120GB Mushkin Atlas Deluxe mSATA SSD...
    - ASUS F8Va
    14.1" (1440x900), Core2Duo T9900, 2x2GB DDR2-800, 160GB Intel 320 SSD...

Notebook Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Gracy123 View Post
    Don't forget the fan is actually a bearing - each bearing has certain estimated lifetime, based mainly on millions of cycles. Hence - the more and the faster the FAN is in use - the sooner it will need replacing.
    Uhmm, to be anal about it, the fan has a bearing, but it's a fan (or a fan assembly), not a bearing.

In any case, practically all laptop fans these days have magnetic bearings, that are not subject to substantial mechanical wear. Of course, these fans still only have a finite lifetime, and wear out eventually, but as has been pointed out the lifetime of your typical laptop fan far exceeds the useful life of the laptop itself. So, unless you have a bum fan, you should not have to replace it, ever.

Agrees to disagree

Quote Originally Posted by Pirx View Post
    Uhmm, to be anal about it, the fan has a bearing, but it's a fan (or a fan assembly), not a bearing.

In any case, practically all laptop fans these days have magnetic bearings, that are not subject to substantial mechanical wear. Of course, these fans still only have a finite lifetime, and wear out eventually, but as has been pointed out the lifetime of your typical laptop fan far exceeds the useful life of the laptop itself. So, unless you have a bum fan, you should not have to replace it, ever.
    Thanks for the correction, that's what I meant

Yes - usually one FAN lasts long enough, but there are always exceptions or defective models...:

Where to buy Vaio Z (VPZ11C5E) replacement fan?

Once upon a time and never again: IPC TopNote F; ECS Elitegroup A535; Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo M6453G

such bacon. wow

If you don't constantly blow out the fan with compressed air and clean it out regularly, it should be quite a while. I still have Pentium 2 notebooks on their first fan. It really comes down to dumb luck, I have seen certain notebook manufacturer fan's fail very very quickly.
    Sager NP8170 (Gaming DTR): i7-2670QM|16GB DDR3|Radeon 6990M|Crucial M500 240GB SSD|17.3" 1080p|7HP
    Sager W86CU(Backup DTR): i7-720QM|8GB DDR3|GeForce 280M|Samsung PM810 256GB SSD|15.6" 1080p|7HP

ThinkPad Edge E535(Fiance's): A8-4500M|8GB DDR3|Radeon 7640G|Samsung 840 120GB SSD|15.6" 720p|7Pro
    Latitude E6430 (FDA work laptop) i5-3210M|4GB DDR3|Quadro NVS5200M/HD4000|Scorpio Black 320GB|14.1" 720p|7Enterprise|Lenovo ThinkVision L2251p&D221 WSXGA+
    Other toys: iPhone 5 White|AT&T Blackberry Bold 9900 (work)|2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek Premium CVT|2nd gen Nexus 7 16 GB|Latitude 13 Review|Dual Lenovo X220 Tablet review!

Agrees to disagree

Quote Originally Posted by Tsunade_Hime View Post
    If you don't constantly blow out the fan with compressed air and clean it out regularly, it should be quite a while. I still have Pentium 2 notebooks on their first fan. It really comes down to dumb luck, I have seen certain notebook manufacturer fan's fail very very quickly.
    To be honest the only few laptops with defective FANs I've seen were all Dell. But it is rather a luck-thing.

exe
    Notebook Consultant

I agree with the posters above, if it's not broken/irregular sound, don't replace. Also, when fans and especially the heatsink it blows through becomes clogged with dust, the fans will work harder and will sound louder. I think this is what you are experiencing. I would suggest dismantaling the laptop to get at the fans and heatsink. Sometimes, just air pressure from the outside doesn't clean it all out and may force large dust clots to get on the fan fins and slow it or stop it from spinning. I had this happen on one of my laptops. Also, if using compressed air, try to jam your fans because it's not rated to spin at an abnormally high speed. I hope you don't have a HP, it's a b i t c-h to open up.
    HDX18T QX9300 |8GB |64GB SSD+ eSATA 2TB HD| W7Ux64

Banned

Depends on the fan.

My Vaios fan was replaced just within it's warranty time of 2 years, the fan on my old laptop still works after 5,5 years, 3 of those years with heavy use.
    On another old laptop the fan also still works after 6 years.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast