Quantcast The ThrottleStop Guide - Page 22

+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 221 FirstFirst ... 121819202122232425263272122 ... LastLast
Like Tree89Likes

Thread: The ThrottleStop Guide

Notebook Enthusiast

Default Re: The ThrottleStop Guide

Hello.
    Sorry for interrupting your conversation, but would testing my computer with SetFSB to see if the TME Unlock pin mod would be sufficient for overclocking be a safe procedure? I ask because it says the computer will freeze up if that method would not work for overclocking, and I want to make sure that I can just do a hard shutdown, reboot, and be fine again.

Notebook Enthusiast

XSpiritusX, hello. Welcome to the forums!

Dear unclewebb and tilleroftheearth
    I've just reinstalled Windows - fresh from Microsoft disc like previous installation, started ThrottleStop before anything on first logon and it's just the same.

C0 still never below 3 and reaching 5 percent.
    It's a very light session without Search and Indexer, Defragmenter and such things, now even without anti-virus, amounts to 23 processes and less than 700MB of working memory at idle - makes me proud , please check it out:

ThrottleStop Author

Here's about as low as my i5-650 goes with C3/C6 disabled so it is using the highest multi at idle. The faster the CPU, the less time it needs to spend in C0 to get the background tasks done.

Edit: Here's the same CPU in the same closed case after enabling C3/C6 in the bios. Cores and threads are now spending time completely asleep. In C6 the core voltage drops down to zero so there shouldn't be too much core heat then.

You can tell something is going on because look at the idle core temperatures compared to the first picture. They've dropped significantly. Idle C0% is up which in my opinion shows that when a core is awake, it's having to work harder now because the CPU has been slowed down with lower multipliers and sleep states. Try turning off C3/C6 in the bios if you have that option. There is also a C7 sleep state but this CPU doesn't seem to use that one. Maybe C7 is only for the mobile CPUs.

Hopefully I'll have some time tomorrow to add C3/C6 percent monitoring for Core i processors to ThrottleStop.
    Last edited by unclewebb; 28th January 2011 at 03:40 PM.

Notebook Enthusiast

Thank you very much, o770!

ThrottleStop Author

ThrottleStop 299.2

I think I finally figured out what's going on o770.

The AUTO setting on the Asus board I'm using only enables the C1 and C3 sleep state. I was assuming that the AUTO bios setting also enabled C6 at the same time but it wasn't doing that. When I enabled C6 manually, the i5-650 I'm using had the wandering average multiplier at idle just like your CPU does.

The wandering multiplier at idle may not look good but CPU power consumption is minimized when the CPU is using the C6 sleep state so this is a good sign that C6 is being used.

The easy way to check is by running the new version of ThrottleStop that includes C0/C3/C6 monitoring. That helps explain a few things. Time for some more testing tomorrow.

Notebook Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by unclewebb View Post
    The easy way to check is by running the new version of ThrottleStop that includes C0/C3/C6 monitoring. That helps explain a few things. Time for some more testing tomorrow.
    I've disabled C6 because of it's impact on SSD (Vertex2) 4k writes/reads and access times. Now, if I keep this on the background will this show C3 and C6 at one specific time and/or how much it's actually spent there? ie: I'd like to confirm it doesn't use C6 but does use all other states up to C7 (being a mobile platform).
    XPS 1645 / 720QM / 1080p RGB / Mobility 4670 / Win7 Ultimate x64 / 8GB 1333MHz DDR3 / 120GB Vertex2

ThrottleStop Author

There are two timers that automatically increment whenever a Core i CPU is in either the C3 or is in the C6 state. Software can sample these timers once per second and determine what percentage of time the CPU was in the C3 or the C6 state during the last second. That's what ThrottleStop reports now.

These timers run within the CPU regardless if ThrottleStop is running or not so sampling them once per second does not put any load on the CPU. If ThrottleStop shows C6% at 0.0 when idle then your CPU is not going into the C6 state.

Here's an example of a 2500K.

The interesting thing is that this new Sandy Bridge CPU has no trouble using the idle multiplier when it is idle and using the C6 state but the older Core i CPUs might have a bug that o770 has discovered. Time for some more testing.

If a CPU is not using C6 then it should show that it is spending most of its idle time in C3. I'm going to play around with a register I found last night so maybe ThrottleStop can change this on the fly without having to reboot.

Wisdom listens quietly...

unclewebb,

just wanted to report that with TS2.99.2 my i3 350M is showing the C6 state at 80% (as I knew it was being used (er... not used! )... from the battery life I get out of this little U30Jc!).

Also, if that is your SB machine you do know about the defective H67/P67 chipset issue with Intel, right?

See:
    Intel Discovers Bug in 6-Series Chipset: Our Analysis - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News

Although I don't really have a need for TS, I just want to say thanks for all your work on it.

Cheers!

ThrottleStop Author

I just heard about that Intel bug today. Luckily, I'm not an early adopter so that screen shot is from my friend's machine. He wasn't too happy.

Now that I know some more about C6, I'm going to try and come up with a ThrottleStop option so C6 can be toggled on and off. That might be useful when gaming or using a laptop with a limited number of bios options.

Wisdom listens quietly...

I'm sure a few people who run SSD's would love that option!

(Disabling C6 state).