Quantcast How accurate is Windows Experience Index?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Notebook Virtuoso

Default How accurate is Windows Experience Index?

I run the test on my E-System laptop and in a friend of mine Dell laptop and the results are weired. As you can see from the picture my Celeron T1400@2.16GHz scores better than my friend Core 2 Duo T7300@2.00Ghz despite the fact that the T7300 FSB is 200MHz while my overclocked T1400's FSB is only 166MHz. Also My Celeron has 8 times less L2 cache.

Also, my integrated SiS GPU is better than his nVidia Geforce 8400GS in Windows Aero.

Any comments?

Notebook Evangelist

Default Re: How accurate is Windows Experience Index?

WEI is only good if you want a thumbsketch and don't want to download a real benchmarking tool.

308 Negra Arroyo Lane

IMO, the only good WEI is, would be when determining if a machine can run Aero. Otherwise it's useless.
    H * π

There's always a flaw in the system. Finding it is the fun part. Exposing it is the dangerous part. Utilizing it is the human part.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by naton View Post
    I run the test on my E-System laptop and in a friend of mine Dell laptop and the results are weired. As you can see from the picture my Celeron T1400@2.16GHz scores better than my friend Core 2 Duo T7300@2.00Ghz despite the fact that the T7300 FSB is 200MHz while my overclocked T1400's FSB is only 166MHz. Also My Celeron has 8 times less L2 cache.
    In my experience WEI for CPU is pretty accurate. Your Celeron runs at a higher clock so it's not unthinkable.

If you want to doublecheck run HyperPI or Wprime.

Notebook Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    In my experience WEI for CPU is pretty accurate. Your Celeron runs at a higher clock so it's not unthinkable.
    So, when does more cache make a difference? I mean when 4MB of cache is better than 512KB?

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by naton View Post
    So, when does more cache make a difference? I mean when 4MB of cache is better than 512KB?
    It helps certain tasks, here are some examples.

Wanderer

The graphics subscore (not gaming) is a measure of 2D rendering capability. I've sen plenty of GPUs that scores 7 on the gaming, and a 5.* on the Aero. Discrete GPUs are just optimized for 3D. It doesn't mean you can't turn on all the Aero bells and whistles.
    Odds are, you're doing it wrong.

Previous: Dell Inspiron e1505
    CC Replacement (current): Dell Studio 1558 || Core i7 720QM, 4GB, 1GB ATI HD5470, 1366x768 LED
    Beater netbook (sold): Aspire One AOA150-1570

Daily Carry Gadgetry: Moto Droid X || Asus TF201 Transformer Prime 32GB

Notebook Deity

Most graphics card (Desktop wise) perform similarly in 2d applications. Tomshardware did an article about it.. Good stuff :>

@OP
    WEI is not accurate in the sense it will give you a good demonstration of the real world performance. It is merely for comparing of two computers to see where each stand, which it does fairly good in that respect..

Notebook Evangelist

I think WEI is ok to compare different components of your laptop processor vs memory etc.. but it is quite useless to compare 2 laptop as it give weird results like yours way too often
    even that sometimes i get different results when i re-run wei so it's more use-less than ful
    Show Us Your WEI - Windows 7 Forums
    Whats your WEI (Windows Experience Index) score?

to show you how wei is useless
    (i didn't modify the image with photoshop or paint or anything except resizing in order to printscreen but there is a trick it's even simplier)

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wei.jpg  
    Last edited by erig007; 11th September 2010 at 02:42 PM.

Notebook Carnivore

I only look at WEI to see changes when I upgrade hardware or drivers.

To the OP: Keep in mind that clockspeed (GHz) is only really applicable between two processors of the same class that have the same specs, cache, transistors, memory bandwidth, etc. Also, names that Intel uses, like "Celeron, Pentium and Core2 Duo" are virtually meaningless. They are nothing but marketing schemes to wring the most money out of you.

i.e. -- they'll take a C2Duo and halve the L2 cache and call it a Pentium. That's exactly what they did with the "Pentium Dual Core T4300" which is actually a C2Duo T6600 (or T6500) with half the L2 cache. All other specs of the 2 chips are identical and the "so-called" Pentium outperformed the other one on PassMark CPU benchmark. Go figure! So, the point is, names and clockspeeds can be misleading and like someone else said, cache doesn't figure in to most benchmark scores.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast